It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Secret' recipe for the best Pumpkin Pie!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I wasn't going to do it - but I want to share the joy!

If you're waiting for tomorrow (as I am) to make your pumpkin pie?

You're in luck!

If you're using a canned pumpkin filling?

Here's the real deal.

When the recipe calls for condensed canned milk?

Use sweetened condensed milk.

2 eggs? Nope - 3 eggs instead of two - and - a cup of molasses.

Up your ginger/nutmeg and cinnamon by 2-3 times the amount.

I've won contests with this pie.

Happy Thanksgiving - and ENJOY!

edit on 1656Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thanks dude will keep that in mind, just had some big pumpkins ready to be processed in soups and pies

You happened to have the full recipe(s)?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Oooo, I'd be really tempted if I wasn't already making the whole thing from scratch tomorrow ... except the edamame.

It's one vegetable we can easily get kiddo to eat, so microwaved squeeze beans for him!

*jots down notations for Christmas*
edit on 22-11-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I can't get pie pumpkins where I live so I have to buy the Libby's brand pumpkin puree.

I'll see if I can get a recipe from scratch and make the modifications.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Great now the secret's out !!!

edit on 22-11-2017 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Silly question from someone who rarely bakes- aren't all pumpkins good for pies?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I believe some are sweeter than others, texture and flesh may also depend.
I've only made pie with the butternut and turned out yummy.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Silly question from someone who rarely bakes- aren't all pumpkins good for pies?

Our grocery store always has a bin labeled specially pie pumpkins. They are always a smaller size than the carving varieties.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire, ketsuko

Makes sense. Not all cherries are good for pies. Thanks for the replies

PS now I want cherry pie...

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing! I'm planning to bake a pumpkin pie next week (made an apple pie for T-Day). I will certainly make these mods.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: servovenford

so....I have a question?? since you are using the sweetened condensed milk...do you reduce the amount of brown sugar and or white sugar?? or do you end up with a sweeter pie>>

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: servovenford

so....I have a question?? since you are using the sweetened condensed milk...do you reduce the amount of brown sugar and or white sugar?? or do you end up with a sweeter pie>>

Let me look on the back of the Libby Pumpkin Puree.

Ok, I use only brown sugar (in the amounts they say for both - so if it's 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup brown, I use 1 cup brown) - and THEN add the extra molasses, egg and sweetened condensed milk with lots of extra spice.

And YES - it is sweeter - but it's so... YUMMIE!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
How about the recipe for your CRUST? The filling is just part of the experience - gotta have a great tasting crust & a mound of whipped cream! Your crust looks AMAZING! I am vegan but would probably break my vows to taste your secret recipe pie!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Same pie as I make only add a little vanilla as well... the crusts look gorgeous on your pie silo, Happy Thanksgiving to you dear one.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Canned pumpkin, just WTF.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
We bought some organic canned pumpkin this year and it really smelled good when the wife opened the can. We made a pumpkin pie, Impossible pumpkin pie, and a cherry pie made from cherries from my brothers tree. I also made dinner rolls. I make the crusts, I could never get the outside to look so pretty as the picture in the OP. I do not have patients to start doing that kind of stuff and if I did, I would not let anyone cut the pie, all that hard work gone up in throat.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Incredible.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It's purdy!

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It's beautiful. I don't take the time with the pie crust, but really admire those with that artistic touch. My crust is often so lightly mixed, and thinly rolled you have to patch it together but tend to make really lite and flaky crust.

We always add more eggs, and then whip the egg whites separate and fold them into the pie filling so its really a pumpkin chiffon pie, it was our family recipe for many generations.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Damn. I was buying stuff for my pumpkin pie yesterday and had hesitated in front of the evaporated milk, wondering if I should try using sweetened (never have). Molasses, huh? I have some, maybe I'll add a bit.
I usually add some maple syrup, but we're eating with friends and one is sensitive/allergic to maple syrup.

Though I cannot get canned pumpkin here in France. For years I used the pumpkins available here and it never tasted right. Turns out they are not the same "sugar" pumpkins. One day a cousin told me that Libby's pumpkin pie filling is largely Butternut squash!
The last few years I have just used Butternut squash, and the result is perfect!! Nobody knows it isn't pumpkin, and the taste is wonderful.
Happy cooking y'all!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join