It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans have a little-known plan to raise taxes on teachers by $2 billion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
More taxes being raised on the lower classes. This time teachers are the target, what a surprise?

Richardson estimates she spent $500 of her own money on her students last year. She says it's worth it — her voice lights up talking about “her kids” and all their “aha moments,” many of which come when she deviates from the textbook.

But what has also been helpful is that she's able to deduct $250 off her taxable income for the extras she buys for her classroom, a small help that Congress created in 2002 for teachers who “go above and beyond.”

www.washingtonpost.com...

We've already learned that the GOP plans to increase taxes for graduate students by almost 400%. We also know that Trumps advisors can't even guarantee the middle class won't see tax increases.. The evidence is piling up that the lower classes are going to be screwed. This is just another revelation.

Now, the educator expense deduction has become a sticking point in the GOP tax debate, with the House and Senate taking it in two wildly different directions.

The House GOP tax bill would scrap that educator deduction entirely.

The Senate GOP tax plan would double it to $500.

What's the reason for this? Seriously? Teachers like Ms Richardson over here go above and beyond the call of duty for the sake of education, for the less fortunate kids. People like her do the community a service, unknown heroes, and yet she now has to suffer so the wealthy get a fatter paycheck. She needs to stand where the wealth will trickle right?

For those who keep on stating nearly half of Americans pay no income taxes, they still pay other forms of taxes that take a significant chunk out of their already lowely incomes:

That doesn’t mean half of Americans pay no taxes, however. That’s because income tax isn’t the only type of tax. Other taxes, like sales taxes and the payroll tax, are regressive. The relatively poor, who have can’t afford to save as much and who make a larger share of their income from wages, pay more of what they make in sales and payroll taxes. The payroll tax applies only to the first $106,800 of a person’s wages in any case, so if you make you more than that you don’t pay any payroll tax on any income beyond that amount. When you consider all the different types of federal taxes together, the effective tax rate on the rich is still higher than on the poor, but not that dramatically. The Tax Policy Center calculates that in 2010 the average American, who made around $46,000 a year, paid 14% of their income in taxes. Someone in the top 1% of all earners—a group whose median income is over $800,000—paid on average about 26% of their income in taxes.

bigthink.com...

The people are being screwed by DC through this tax plan and yet many continue to keep their heads in the sand. All for the sake of partisan politics.
edit on 22-11-2017 by Southern Guardian because: WaPo link

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
So the Senate wants to double the deduction.

Great.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
More taxes being raised on the lower classes. This time teachers are the target, what a surprise?

Richardson estimates she spent $500 of her own money on her students last year. She says it's worth it — her voice lights up talking about “her kids” and all their “aha moments,” many of which come when she deviates from the textbook.

But what has also been helpful is that she's able to deduct $250 off her taxable income for the extras she buys for her classroom, a small help that Congress created in 2002 for teachers who “go above and beyond.”

We've already learned that the GOP plans to increase taxes for graduate students by almost 400%. We also know that Trumps advisors have been can't even guarantee the middle class won't see tax increases.. The evidence is piling up that the lower classes are going to be screwed. This is just another revelation.

Now, the educator expense deduction has become a sticking point in the GOP tax debate, with the House and Senate taking it in two wildly different directions.

What's the reason for this? Seriously? Teachers like Ms Richardson over here go above and beyond the call of duty for the sake of education, for the less fortunate kids. People like her do the community a service, unknown heroes, and yet she now has to suffer so the wealthy get a fatter paycheck. She needs to stand where the wealth will trickle right?

For those who keep on stating nearly half of Americans pay no income taxes, they still pay other forms of taxes that take a significant chunk out of their already lowely incomes:

That doesn’t mean half of Americans pay no taxes, however. That’s because income tax isn’t the only type of tax. Other taxes, like sales taxes and the payroll tax, are regressive. The relatively poor, who have can’t afford to save as much and who make a larger share of their income from wages, pay more of what they make in sales and payroll taxes. The payroll tax applies only to the first $106,800 of a person’s wages in any case, so if you make you more than that you don’t pay any payroll tax on any income beyond that amount. When you consider all the different types of federal taxes together, the effective tax rate on the rich is still higher than on the poor, but not that dramatically. The Tax Policy Center calculates that in 2010 the average American, who made around $46,000 a year, paid 14% of their income in taxes. Someone in the top 1% of all earners—a group whose median income is over $800,000—paid on average about 26% of their income in taxes.

bigthink.com...

The people are being screwed by DC through this tax plan and yet many continue to keep their heads in the sand. All for the sake of partisan politics.

This is total propaganda.

The plan eliminates tons of minor deductions like this one to simplify the filing process - but what it does in it's place is increase the general deduction by almost double to compensate for eliminating these specialized deductions.

These teachers will still come out ahead with the new plan in almost every circumstance.

I am so sick of the democrats finding one small group - in this case teachers - make them out to be victims by twisting the truth as an emotional appeal to uniformed people who actually believe the Republicans hate said group and are targeting them.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

We've already learned that the GOP plans to increase taxes for graduate students by almost 400%. We also know that Trumps advisors have been can't even guarantee the middle class won't see tax increases.. The evidence is piling up that the lower classes are going to be screwed. This is just another revelation.

bigthink.com...

This is total propaganda.

The plan eliminates tons of minor deductions like this one to simplify the filing process - but what it does in it's place is increase the general deduction by almost double to compensate for eliminating these specialized deductions.

These teachers will still come out ahead with the new plan in almost every circumstance.

I am so sick of the democrats finding one small group - in this case teachers - make them out to be victims by twisting the truth as an emotional appeal to uniformed people who actually believe the Republicans hate said group and are targeting them.

Pretty sad how people like the OP get duped...

The other thing is why do teachers need a special deduction? Anyone can already write off "unreimbursed employment expenses". I usually have a few thousand a year in expenses related to my job that my employer doesn't pay for that I can write off (training, entertainment, etc).

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

You'll be told we should ALL just homeschool bro.

*rolls eyes*

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

It's always been a weird tax break to me. Why single out a single occupation for it?
Less then 2.5% of the workforce is teachers.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

My better half is an elementary school teacher in a poverty-stricken area and spends a fair amount of her own money on students - the public school she works for provides very little for her.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

We've already learned that the GOP plans to increase taxes for graduate students by almost 400%. We also know that Trumps advisors can't even guarantee the middle class won't see tax increases.. The evidence is piling up that the lower classes are going to be screwed. This is just another revelation.

bigthink.com...

Considering the outlandish retirement pensions teachers get around here, I say screw them. They most certainly don't need a tax break. Teacher pensions are like the equivalent of someone having a multi-million dollar retirement package.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Really? Where are YOU from?

Please do give some examples...?

Yeah..teachers suck!!!

edit on 22-11-2017 by DanteGaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

More taxes being raised on the lower classes.

Teachers are lower classes?
average salary

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

My better half is an elementary school teacher in a poverty-stricken area and spends a fair amount of her own money on students - the public school she works for provides very little for her.

Blame the #ty school system for not supplying basics. Classrooms can't supply Kleenex for their schools, it's crazy. But a part time lunch Mom gets a pension.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sorry all you Teachers can do no wrong people. The teaching profession is a racket. Teachers are spoiled far worse than their students. The teachers union has ruined that profession.... period.
The use children to enrich themselves and are always one increase in spending away from putting out highly educated students...... if only we had just a little more money. But somehow the only thing that grows is the bureaucracy.
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 22-11-2017 by Zimnydran because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

Yeah..teachers suck!!!

I do taxes for quite a few teachers and retired teachers. I've yet to meet a poor retired teacher. I have one client who makes more in retirement than they did working. Teachers for the most part have excellent retirement packages.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Many cry that their grocery bags are too heavy.

And they cry with a loaf of bread under their arms.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think this is the first government plan to punish the majority’s political foes.

Since in this plan is the idea to stop the SALT, state and local tax deduction, a blue state mainstay.

I’m not surprised their going after teachers, who usually vote democratic

The gop are very sinister people

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Yeah..teachers suck!!!

I do taxes for quite a few teachers and retired teachers. I've yet to meet a poor retired teacher. I have one client who makes more in retirement than they did working. Teachers for the most part have excellent retirement packages.

My friend is a public teacher.

Has 401k, NO PENSION.

So, your argument is invalid.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Why single out a single occupation for it?
Less then 2.5% of the workforce is teachers.

I fully understand your point, pavil.

But alongside military and emergency services...
Can you name a more important workforce in the civilised world?

I’m hard pressed to think of one.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
is this a tax problem? hell my first issue is the fact that for some reason teachers are expected to spend their own money in the first place. the fact there even exists a special tax write off for teachers buying supplies shows there is a big problem. it really does show just how screwed up education is. perhaps instead of worrying about how teachers may loose part of this tax write off, we should be more concerned that they need to buy stuff in the first place. seems we really need to fix the real problem, not the Band-Aid solution.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

It's USUALLY the uneducated who dont' value teachers.

They're not intelligent enough to understand the value, they don't see the "point".

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Yeah..teachers suck!!!

That is if you work 30 years

Also, those packages are being attacked by GOP governors

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join