It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Computer An Artificial Utility

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What if you ever needed to know those things because you didn't have access to technology or the specialized networks we enjoy?

I have considered this, particularly in the event of an EMP and I have began printing pdfs with apocalyptic scenario survival info such as medicinal(diagnosis, treatment and also medicinal plants info), structure building, food (plant ID)sources, trapping, energy sources/techniques, cleaning water, clothing etc..

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: DBCowboy

How is technology not an evolution? I would argue that technology occurs when we have a problem to solve (a stress). And technology manifests within a couple years, not thousands as evolution requires.

Our tools have gotten better, we haven't evolved.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Aazadan

How is technology not an evolution? I would argue that technology occurs when we have a problem to solve (a stress). And technology manifests within a couple years, not thousands as evolution requires.

Our tools have gotten better, we haven't evolved.

But we no longer lick ourselves clean.

Surely that's a sign we've evolved, no ?

Okay, maybe only some of us have stopped using our tongues as a wash cloth...

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Canadians have a poutine gland, so are they even considered humans?

(translate to Canadian)

Caunaudians hauve a poutine glaund, sou aure theuy eveun counsideured humauns?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

It makes us Homo Superior, while you bottom feeders are just Sapiens

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

What was that all aboot, eh?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Hush Sap!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

(translate to Canadian)

Caunaudians hauve a poutine glaund, sou aure theuy eveun counsideured humauns?

Thaunks.

I waus counfused there faur a minute and wasn't sure whaut you were saying.

Yes, we hauve a poutine glaund... but we ounly use it when we feel uander threat from oure foes, kinda like chat clauws.

How aboot that eh ?!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Do we need computers? Of course not. Humanity has been basically the same for what 10-25-50 thousand years. We just have shiny-er new toys to make our lives easier. Man, like everything in the universe, takes the path of least resistance. "Oh, I can make my life easier? Sign me up!"

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If the computers on Earth stopped, life as we know it would end. I think people under estimate how much of our life is supported by computers.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
If the computers on Earth stopped, life as we know it would end. I think people under estimate how much of our life is supported by computers.

Isn't that dangerous to be dependent on something so tenuous?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Agree completely. Life "as we know it" would come to a grinding, screeching halt. Life, in and of itself, would continue on. Until it couldn't anymore.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Could be. Do we go back and have mankind kill a good portion of itself in fights over food and shelter and who knows what else.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Burning witches might be kinda fun.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

One could say the same thing about electricity, since it's become such an important and necessary part of our lives.

Do we need computers (or electricity)? No, but we've adapted to live with it, just like anything else. It's here and serves a very valuable, and convenient, purpose, especially concerning the instantaneous relay of information in almost real time. Therefore, it should be preserved.

Do we *need* cars, cell phones, phones, airplanes, etc? No. But they are technological advances that now serve a purpose, for good of ill.

ETA:

We should all learn to survive without it, but many can't. Because society.
edit on 22-11-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Could be. Do we go back and have mankind kill a good portion of itself in fights over food and shelter and who knows what else.

If I was on a tightrope, I'd always have a backup in case I fell or the rope broke.

I have to wonder, how many have a backup plan if the rope breaks?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Can you survive a few months with a no where near reliable food supply and raiders at your door? Your most likely not driving off to some other place.
edit on 11/22/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Can you survive a few months with a no where near reliable food supply and raiders at your door? Your most likely not driving off to some other place.

Nah. Realistically, I'd probably die off early. I'm too old and tired to play "Road Warrior".

But I'd take a bunch of the bastards out with me.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Nah. Realistically, I'd probably die off early. I'm too old and tired to play "Road Warrior".

But I'd take a bunch of the bastards out with me.

i would probably be on your team also. I would give it a whirl first though.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Computers in some ways have actually made us dumber. It causes your mind to atrophy imho. Yes, the conveniences of having information at your fingertips are invaluable, but at the same time it makes us really vulnerable and unable to function without a computer.

That very same argument was used about reading. Learning used to be about memorizing. It sharpened the mind. But educators in the 1500's became concerned because of the advent of cheap books. Students were no longer memorizing. They were READING! So the fear was their minds were atrophying because they relied on books to store knowledge rather than their brains. Yes, the conveniences of having information at your fingertips are invaluable, but at the same time it makes us really vulnerable and unable to function without books.
edit on 11/22/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join