It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. Army Is Selling Some of Its Most Powerful Guns (and You Can Buy One)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

The U.S. Army Is Selling Some of Its Most Powerful Guns (and You Can Buy One)

The .45 ACP M1911A1 pistol has served the U.S. armed forces for more than a century in every war zone and hotspot on the planet — and thanks to this year’s federal defense budget, it will serve civilians for the foreseeable future.

The $700 billion 2018 National Defense Authorization Act that Congress sent to President Donald Trump’s desk on Nov. 16 included an amendment that required the Secretary of the Army to transfer a cache of small arms and ammo “no longer actively issued for military service” to the government-sponsored Civilian Marksmanship Program, including the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols, the M–1 Garand, and .22 rimfire rifles.

The 1911 semiautomatic pistol, invented by legendary firearms inventor John Moses Browning, proved extremely reliable in the hands of American Expeditionary Forces during the opening years of World War I. According to the National Interest, Army Sergeant Alvin C. York neutralized six German soldiers who charged him with fixed bayonets using nothing but his 1911, earning the Congressional Medal of Honor for his valor and heroism.

Although the 1911A1 variant that emerged in the U.S. after WWI was phased out of regular military service in favor of the Beretta 92 pistol (aka the M9) starting in 1985, its power persists. The Marine Corps ordered 12,000 M45A1 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, a 1911-modeled firearm from Colt Defense in 2014; the pistols went to MARSOC Raiders, with a handful going to special operations-capable Marine Expeditionary Units.

The last transfer of 1911s to the CMP was in 2015, when President Barack Obama signed a defense bill that included a measure to transfer 10,000 pistols for sale to the program; lawmakers had stated that May that the DoD spends $2 a year to store each of its 100,000 surplus 1911s. With 10,000 already transferred and 8,300 additional pistols “sold or disposed of,” per Guns.com, that means there are at least 80,000 1911s ready and waiting for a nasty civilian to give them a good home.

The article headline is poo poo obviously. This is good news for those into the 1911. The comments on this article are the best.. "Nasty civilians" lmao... Yahoo is all over the place with their articles it seems. They have something for everyone, regradless what side of the spectrum you are on.
edit on 22-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I want some of the M1s that they just brought back from Korea.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

One of those would be nice.
I wonder how much they are going to start at. Hopefully whatever companies get the shipments don't gouge too much.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Me to but I hate that site with a passion, apparently it was built by a retarded chimp on meth, takes me several times to even get in the idea of trying to get an account and buy something scares me.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I love how Yahoo changed the title of the original Task & Purpose article. Much lulz there...

Anyway, does anyone know the link to where one can actually make one of these purchases? I'm sure I just missed it, but can't seem to find it.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
"Most powerful gun".

lol It's a surplus 1911.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Don't forget the .22 rimfires mentioned!

AFAIK, the is unequivocally the most powerful caliber in existence. I'm told aliens helped with its development, since its sheer, unimaginable power seems to defy the laws of physics.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yeah, I just looked at it. Dear God what were they on when they made that den of horrors.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

the M–1 Garand

Where can I get in line?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I've nuked entire regions of the Nevada desert with my .22.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
"Most powerful gun".

lol It's a surplus 1911.

Heavy, hard to aim, slow rate of fire. Packs a wallop at close range.

No pick and choose either. You get it issued when your number comes up. It could be mint or banged up.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

The only part about that I don't believe is that you confined the destruction to a single continent, much less a single state.

That's just silly nonsense.

Alien technology, man.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Having been an armorer in the army I know for a fact I don't want any of these weapons.

I'm not a fan of the 1911 either way. Don't really care for outdated designs that you need to spend 3 grand to bring it up to par with mediocre modern guns.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I like them for going to the range and putting holes in targets, that's about it. They're fun to shoot, for me.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Having been an armorer in the army I know for a fact I don't want any of these weapons.

I'm not a fan of the 1911 either way. Don't really care for outdated designs that you need to spend 3 grand to bring it up to par with mediocre modern guns.

Times have changed, when I was doing the gun show circuit in the early 80s, Factory Colt .45 Automatics were 300 new, cash and carry. I had several, including a light weight combat commander. Two others I built up myself.

Parts were everywhere, brand new in wrap, modifications, spare mags, reloading supplies, all dime a dozen.

Thanks for the price comparison. So sad to see where its gone.

Remember too, the 30-06 and .45 helped defeat Germany during WWII.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

thecmp.org...
(CMP offers several opportunities to buy - and service - vintage rifles, including direct sales, auctions and custom gunsmithing. If you are looking to completely outfit a custom M1 Garand, this is the place for you!)....................................................................................................................................
Civilian Marksmanship Program
The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a U.S. government-chartered program that promotes firearm safety training and rifle practice for all qualified U.S. citizens with special emphasis on youth. Any U.S. citizen who is not legally prohibited from owning a firearm may purchase a military surplus rifle from the CMP, provided they are a member of a CMP affiliated club. The CMP operates through a network of affiliated shooting clubs and state associations that cover every state in the U.S. The clubs and associations offer firearms safety training and marksmanship courses as well as the opportunity for continued practice and competition.
Wikipedia · Text under CC-BY-SA license

[email protected].

the key phrase here is : -->> 'Qualified purchasers'
text or mail the customer service link [email protected].

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sign me up for an M1!! 1911 would be great too, but I have a Sig1911 already

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I had the same thought!

Now the .30-06's are reasonably powerful, but far from being headline worthy

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I do love the way a well made 1911 shoots. But the cost of getting it there is ridiculous unless you can do your own work.

The only other thing you can do is get a good one from some of the volume suppliers like Rock Island Armory. Some of their 1911s are good, some are very, very bad.

Kimber you to be the top of the heap, but they have a habit of making really pretty guns that don't work.

Wilson Combat currently has the best practical use 1911 out there, but they start at 1500 bucks.

You can get parts for them easily enough, but then you have to question the quality of parts. Then you have to worry about fitting and tolerances because nothing is made to a standard. This makes a modern 1911 prohibitively expensive, a pain in the ass to build, and the end result is no guarantee that you'll get 100% reliability.

1911s are pretty guns and a good one is a fantastic shooter. But I'll stick to modern guns made to modern standards that don't need to cost 3k to be worth it.

I'd rather spend 700 bucks on a CZ(really any model)than dive back into the 1911 market.
edit on 22 11 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

The CMP makes it stupid hard to join a program in your area.

About the only good reason to join the CMP is if you like competitions. Getting a gun from the CMP without being an active member is a impossible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join