It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

None of you are talking about net neutrality. Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

www.foxnews.com...

The FCC is planning to allow telecom companies the power to control what information you have access to through the internet. They plan to remove regulations that prevent IPS's from throttling or blocking traffic from different sources, preferentially.

F.C.C. chairman, Ajit Pai:
“Under my proposal, the federal government will stop micromanaging the internet, Instead, the F.C.C. would simply require internet service providers to be transparent about their practices so that consumers can buy the service plan that’s best for them", (if they are fortunate enought o have any options), "and entrepreneurs and other small businesses can have the technical information they need to innovate.” (a.k.a. they might get to know who they need to bribe)

NY Times:
"Big online companies like Amazon say that the telecom companies would be able to show favoritism to certain web services, by charging for accessing some sites but not others, or by slowing the connection speed to some sites. Small online companies say the proposal would hurt innovation. Only the largest companies, they say, would be able to afford the expense of making sure their sites received preferred treatment."

I'm shocked that on this of all sites isn't talking about net neutrality. Can we trust big telecom companies to preserve the free exhange of information? Can we believe they wont be tempted to monetize preferential access to their infrastructure? What price will society pay for this in the end?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Too busy fighting over who sucks more, hillary or trump. Losing freedoms 1 day at a time.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I live in Canada, so the FCC has no power over me, muahahahaha!

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Tearman

I was wondering the same thing. So I made a thread right before you.

It probably won't get much attention since I didn't mention Trump in there though.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The conservatives here should be very worried about this.
What do you think is going to happen when the liberal fcc and telecom companies get to decide where the bandwidth goes?

If this happens I predict that breitbart will be forced out of business do to not enough traffic.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I tried to call my state politicians yesterday, inboxes were full lol
So email, email, email. They're phones today are saying they are unable to handle the number of requests at this time.

That makes me happy. No matter what opinion those messages take, at least people are interacting with their elected officials.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

because i dont get shill bucks for discussing net neutrality

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I agree it affects everyone who is a user of the internet. I would be worried if I was a conservative as well. Abandoning net neutrality could seriously affect how the internet works. Internet service providers are probably more worried about earning money than giving their customers a good experience online.

I just did some research, and it looks like dividing the internet into packages is a popular idea.

How can people not be pissed about this? These corporations are about to force us to pay ridiculous amounts of money to access what used to be included with the base monthly payment and even possibly block access to a majority of the internet in the name of profits.

How many people here use Steam or Netflix? Look at that, you have to pay extra to have access to them. But wait, aren't you already paying to buy games on Steam and watch shows on Netflix? The internet service providers are basically extorting the population for more money.
edit on 21pmTue, 21 Nov 2017 15:57:41 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

As if. As the USA goes so too goes Canada. The CRTC is just waiting for the FCC to be the first out the gate with this type of regulation.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Syphon

Lame

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
What about the fact that most of the internet In Canada is routed through servers in the US.
What we need in Canada is a regulation that states any unequal treatment of a byte of info on the net is illegal. So all web traffic is treated the same. No single organization or Corporate entity has dominion over the information on the internet and all information is private and sovereign.

I must sound like a conspiracy nut, but such are the times we live in.

a reply to: Autorico

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Dont worry your turn will come too.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ThoughtIsMadness

You don't sound nutty
If you did, then I would be as well.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Yeah I know. Hopefully the Liberals will wait a while to sell us out.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Huh. And I was told by everyone here that what was passed in Feb 2015 was Net Neutrality, and all was right with the world.

And they still throttled, despite NN.

Just remember that Ajit Pai is an Obama appointee at the recommendation of Swamp Turtle Mitch McConnell.

edit on 21-11-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Net Neutrality is going.

It is/was just a matter of time.

Death by a thousand cuts.

It didn't work yesterday so they waited.

Now they make new moves to try again.

We shall see how it goes...

And if it stays. They will just bide their time.

And while they wait, they will be reaching out to hearts and minds.

edit on 11-21-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You guys in America already pay way too much for your internet. If this passes, prepare to pay even more for a significantly reduced service.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Too busy fighting over who sucks more, hillary or trump. Losing freedoms 1 day at a time.

Or fighting over which party has the most sexual predators, which is absolutely pathetic, when the loss of Net Neutrality will affect virtually everyone who uses the internet.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The reason the Internet is so good is because its unregulated free-market anarchy. Leave it alone, leave it to the free market and everyone will find the offers that suit them best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join