It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Finds UK Water Companies use 'Magic' to Find Leaks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

i think with electricity it might be a bit easier, using a conductive metal above charged lins may have had a palpable force

sort of like an electromagnet

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I've done this myself several times when I was a surveyor. It worked better to find already existing pipelines than the tools they issued us to do so in most cases. I would tear the little orange flags off of markers that we had and use the little wires they were mounted on.

I wouldn't call it magic. Anytime you have something flowing like water, gas, oil, you can pick up that energy. It works is all I know.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I don't think its magic. Its just something we don't understand at this time.

What is magic? Invisible aliens doing something? Angels?

Flowing water maybe carries a charge?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I once saw a show about paranormal, and one of the stories was of a guy who used two metal rods to find bodies buried. It looked exactly like he was divining for water. The police in his city used him to find murder victims, they seemed to be happy with his work.

His explanation was that ghosts have an EM field and tend to stay near their bodies if they are "lost". I dont know about that, but he seemed to think thats how it worked, not sure how that applies to finding water, but it looked exactly the same practice.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
You can have all the magnetic devices and ground penetrating radar you like but water engineers in the UK still prefer to use the old ways ... magic.

Those who do not were...
Northern Ireland Water
Northumbrian Water
Wessex Water

So those who do not use the old ways are clearly in the minority , just three out of the twelve polled ... obviously their force is weak.

Ms Le Page said: "I can't state this enough: there is no scientifically rigorous, doubly blind evidence that divining rods work.
"Isn't it a bit silly that big companies are still using magic to do their jobs?"
www.bbc.co.uk...

Science is great and all but sometimes you can't beat a bit of magic.

It's great, I remember this was touched on before in some TV programme.

What's so funny in the list is that NI don't use it..officially that is. No marks for asking why!

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
In one of his books (I think it was On Writing) Stephen King talked about how he used to use dowsing rods when somebody wanted him to dig a well. He said it works.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I studied the science of that and there is a reason it works. You can use bent welding rods to do that and find water lines and even witch for water as long as there is water movement going on. special alterations to the rods can also locate gold. But only if gold is in a metallic form and close to the ground level.

It has to do with ions and the polarization difference in opposite sides of the body. My uncle could use a wishbone style branch to find water. My brother can use the two metal rods and is accurate. I can't get them to work, you need some special ability to do that. I understand that not everyone can do this. from my research it appears that maybe a third of people can do it. One article was actually a government research article and it showed that some people can find water and other conductors with the two metal rod method. There are phone company people here that use the wires to find buried wires, I have a gizmo in the garage that has the ability to find water lines and other buried lines and it uses a magnetic sensor, like a compass. It works on the same principle as the wires.

No magic to this, just because many scientists have not yet figured out how it works, doesn't mean it doesn't. When they figure it out they will claim they discovered it and write a journal entry on their discovery then it will be accepted as real.

When I go out over the underground river out back of the house, my arm hairs tingle and stand up. It feels cooler there but when I use the thermometer, it shows the same temperature. If you stand on a big rock outcrop with minerals in it, the same feeling seems to happen. Energy flowing through a person, I think it is geomagnetic energy or what they call negative ions that are by streams and rivers.

If I hadn't personally felt it and watched the compass spin in circles I would not believe it. If I did not see people find water lines then mark them and have miss dig come and mark them in the same spot, I would not believe it. That meter in the garage works great for me who cannot make the wires work, my brother using the wires matches the meter.

One thing I have found, if science cannot explain something or comprehend how it works, the people often deny it is real. That is the dumbest way I ever heard to do something. If I can't figure something out, I research it till I find how it works, not deny it. I will then say I don't know why, scientists do not say they don't know, they automatically deny it exists.

There is professional water flow meters that work based on magnetism and ions. Within any flow of water there are ions; anything plus or minus a few electrons, as well as magnetic particles of iron. Whenever these move, they create a small electromagnetic field. These add up and can be measured by an electric coil.

A divining rod is going to operate in the same way. A slight magnetic field causes the nerves/muscles and rods to move.

A magnetometer application in a smartphone should respond similarly.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

i think with electricity it might be a bit easier, using a conductive metal above charged lins may have had a palpable force

That may well have something to do with it.

The one for gold my uncle had was strange. He had a container with an ounce of placer in it on the end and swore by it.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: fluff007

there have been tons of experiments done on dowsing. here is one.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Here is another.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-11-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: rickymouse

No one has ever demonstrated this "power" under proper test conditions. It's magical thinking with a heavy dose of confirmation bias.

My wife was working for the phone company and was riding around with the woman checking lines. She had two metal rods and checked to see if there was power in the lines to try to find where the break was, before or after the road there. She learned that from the physicists at ELF back years ago, in the eighties.

I am not talking about the branch, although I have seen that work too, I am talking about the two thin bent steel rods. If you look up dousing, the info says that the wishbone wood dousing rod is not consistant, not the metal rods. You have to make sure you are looking up the right thing. As you walk, the rods come together and cross when you hold them so one is a tad bit higher than the other. X marks the spot. That is the one I have repeatedly seen work and that is the one I found scientific information to show how it works.

You got to get your ducks in a row and research the right thing. This thread addresses the metal rods, that is not magic.

My uncle had the forked branch, he said he could find water. This is on my property, we were trying to find the route of the underground river the well driller told me my well was in. He held the two branch ends and it started to bob really strongly and the end on the outside broke in half. There was no way in hell that that can happen, but it did. Not the two ends he held, the piece that sticks out. It was a half inch thick piece of branch at that point, hazelnut bush which is tough as hell. When I saw that happen I learned my belief that that was just a hoax was wrong. He says...Whoo, there is lots of water here, I just had my mouth open with my chin almost touching my neck when that happened.

Do not believe people who deny something without actually seeing a real person who can do it do it. I cannot do that, after that I tried at least twenty times over the year. We had to get him a new branch when that happened and the new branch was bobbing up and down and we followed the underground river to where it forked and went to where the other old spring was. This underground river is amazing, it made the clay hardpan turn to water when I spun my tractor tires trying to dig. The tractor sank up to the frame instantly like sinking into water and the sand flowed back around and filled the rims up. When I would try to push myself out with the loader, it turned the clay to water and it just flowed back like water fills a hole. Cool as hell, but I had to get a friend of mine with a FWD truck to help me get out. He asked me how I did it, it looked like the tractor had been stuck there for years, the top grass even flowed back into the tractor rims.

They call that clay quick clay. www.ngu.no... If you put salt on it it gets more unstable, that is what causes the collapse of road shoulders sometimes. From my old Mason I found out that spreading lime on it stabalizes it, so does portland cement. I had some bags and put it there and it has been better, I do not push the snow full of road salt over that area, and dumping some portland near the mailbox stabalized that too. This same property of sand is used in foundrys and mines to move along the clays and sands and actually fires up the landslides, the energy from the start fuels the progression. Avalanches are the same phenonymon. Once it is triggered it turns almost to a liquid like state and flows.

The energy from the underground river actually adds to the energy of the clay and my tractor gave enough energy to liquify the clay. One of these days, in the spring when the ground is wet, I am going to start my compactor and see how far it sinks into that area. I need a kill switch though, I don't want to lose it. I will do it up farther where the trees are all crooked and I did not put calcium down.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I got my meter from a city auction in a box. It doesn't use any batteries, it has a wheel that spins around when you get over a line. It works great, going down up to eight feet anyway, the city got new ones that were supposed to be better but were actually worse than the old ones. I only got one in the box and it still works fine.

I think that the two wire system works by somehow putting a magnetic property on the wires and they get attracted to each other over the moving water. All I know is they work well. You have to hold those bent wires, bent like an L, loosely and correctly. I see them work for others, but I cannot get them to work for me.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

The water has to be moving or charged for metal dousing rods to work, they will not work on a bottle of water. Flowing electricity in a buried phone line will sometimes be detected too, same with sewer lines.

Whoever set up the test in this video actually made it nearly impossible to work. You detect ions, not the water itself.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

The water has to be moving or charged for metal dousing rods to work, they will not work on a bottle of water. Flowing electricity in a buried phone line will sometimes be detected too, same with sewer lines.

Whoever set up the test in this video actually made it nearly impossible to work. You detect ions, not the water itself.

They also used ore which is something that dowsers claim they can detect. But couldn't.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Here is another one that uses flowing water.
Out of 50 tries only 11 times did they find the water. That's a success rate of only 21%.
Skip to 2:40 to see the results.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I studied the science of that and there is a reason it works. You can use bent welding rods to do that and find water lines and even witch for water as long as there is water movement going on. special alterations to the rods can also locate gold. But only if gold is in a metallic form and close to the ground level.

It has to do with ions and the polarization difference in opposite sides of the body. My uncle could use a wishbone style branch to find water. My brother can use the two metal rods and is accurate. I can't get them to work, you need some special ability to do that. I understand that not everyone can do this. from my research it appears that maybe a third of people can do it. One article was actually a government research article and it showed that some people can find water and other conductors with the two metal rod method. There are phone company people here that use the wires to find buried wires, I have a gizmo in the garage that has the ability to find water lines and other buried lines and it uses a magnetic sensor, like a compass. It works on the same principle as the wires.

No magic to this, just because many scientists have not yet figured out how it works, doesn't mean it doesn't. When they figure it out they will claim they discovered it and write a journal entry on their discovery then it will be accepted as real.

When I go out over the underground river out back of the house, my arm hairs tingle and stand up. It feels cooler there but when I use the thermometer, it shows the same temperature. If you stand on a big rock outcrop with minerals in it, the same feeling seems to happen. Energy flowing through a person, I think it is geomagnetic energy or what they call negative ions that are by streams and rivers.

If I hadn't personally felt it and watched the compass spin in circles I would not believe it. If I did not see people find water lines then mark them and have miss dig come and mark them in the same spot, I would not believe it. That meter in the garage works great for me who cannot make the wires work, my brother using the wires matches the meter.

One thing I have found, if science cannot explain something or comprehend how it works, the people often deny it is real. That is the dumbest way I ever heard to do something. If I can't figure something out, I research it till I find how it works, not deny it. I will then say I don't know why, scientists do not say they don't know, they automatically deny it exists.

Really, you sound like a science diviner.
If its science, why cant we manufacture a machine to do it.
Dumbest thing, believing say so...

Some people will believe you, I want evidence, not hearsay

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I used this method to find how remote torture accesses neighborhoods and homes. An X form signifies electrical points. I read in iraq they used this to find hidden roadside bombs.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I don't think its magic. Its just something we don't understand at this time.

What is magic? Invisible aliens doing something? Angels?

Flowing water maybe carries a charge?

But why doesnt it work for everyone, why cant we make a diviner?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: penroc3

That may well have something to do with it.

The one for gold my uncle had was strange. He had a container with an ounce of placer in it on the end and swore by it.

To detect gold with a set of rods, bent like an L, you need to silver plate the metal rod tips. Gold has a slight attraction to silver but silver has no attraction to gold. There is an electromagnetic bubble around heavy metals like gold, that can come out of the surface of the ground when buried. It only works on buried gold supposedly, the moisture in the ground helps the bubble to form. I got that from a supposed geologist who did research on that on a metal detector site. I do not know positively if this is the reason, but I did verify the attraction of gold to silver at a physics site.

In the case of dowsing, we may act as an energy source to help to increase the power to the rods or something. I read a lot of articles on this years ago, there are a lot of businesses that use those rods to find water lines and cables.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

So Dawkins debunks dowsing
Or Dawkins debunks a few people

It certainly wasnt a rigorous experiment at all, just a few people in tents

Bit of a Dawkins ego experiment

Bottles of water in buckets

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join