It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With 'Hog Apocalypse' on hold, what do we do about the pesky wild pigs taking over Texas?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Barbeque bonanza is what this looks like to me.
Only in America do we look a gift horse in the mouth.
That's FOOD people, good food and apparently everywhere.
They may be a problem but they're also a blessing to the hungry.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13 I have been following this for a few months and I have to say, sucks if you have a nice yard or any livestock. Hogs can be a real pain in the bum. Fun to hunt but hard to hunt at the same time. On a side note the ones ravaging towns are alot friendlier than the packs in the woods. Best of luck to ya....OH and go Sooners

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

They're tough enough that there is a thriving population on a military bombing range that most other wildlife in Kansas barely bothers with.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

I've seen some of those hog hunts on YouTube. You're looking at a pack of dogs with body armor to go after them.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

They're tough enough that there is a thriving population on a military bombing range that most other wildlife in Kansas barely bothers with.

Goes to show. Where other wildlife fears to tread, a friggin bombing range... lulz

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Yep! At least the miltary has no qualms about using them as target practice. I know people will say it's cruel, but they're invasive pests and need to be dealt with one way or another.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The bait station video. Seems labor intensive to me, probably because they are so smart.
Then theres the pen trap,
Expensive and time consuming,the helicopter hunts. Death from above. Inappropriate content ...

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
My buddy lives in Dallas. If you are from out of state you only need a general hunting license to hunt feral hogs in Texas and you can get a 3-day general hunting license for like 60 bucks. With that, you can get as many hogs as you want in that time.

Most land is owned out there but ask the farmers and they'll let you hunt piggies on their property. Hell, they will usually even point them out.

I recommend large caliber like a .308 to ensure dropping a big boy easily. I have seen some take multiple 5.56 and keep charging. Their tusks and weight are what you want to worry about. Don't let one get you on the ground.

But my favorite kind of hog hunting is tanerite hog hunting.

edit on 21-11-2017 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Star for that. Tannerite hog parts raining from the sky!

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Texas should have a semi-annual Hog Hunting day and Hog Fest! Grand prize to the hunter who can bag the most hogs in 1 week wins $50,000 dollars! That should bring out every hunter in Texas and the surrounding states! The Hog Fest could last an entire week something similar to Mardi Gras! It would be one hell of a hog roast and bring in tourists from all around the country. There's nothing like turning lemons into lemonade which is something else they can do at the Hog Fest. Elmer Fudd and Porky pig could be the mascots for the fest.

...I think I'm on to something here.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

That's the one i wanted to post but I thought was against T&C.

Talk about
that's unreal.

Gotta love tannerite! There are others that just blow my mind - no pun untended.
edit on 5638Tuesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I've eaten wild boar, it is really good, better than most commercial pork by a long shot. I used to buy a pig every year, raised by a guy I know. That was excellent pork too....but the wild boar was better.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Instead of rattlesnake round-ups, they should do hog round-ups. Give the rattlers a bit of a break.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Feral hog laws and regs in Texas

Feral hogs are not a game or non-game species in Texas. Instead, feral hogs are considered
exotic livestock as described in Texas Parks and Wildlife Code Section 1.101(4) and Texas
Agriculture Code 161.001(a) [4]. Because of this distinction, they fall under the ownership
of the landowner and not the citizens of the state according to the Texas Agriculture Code
Section 161.002

edit on 11/21/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Am I the only one to see a possible benefit to this?

What to do, to control them? Hunt more, roast some wild pigs in pits. Anything that out of control needs to be hunted. That, or import some bigger predators.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I'm thinking of one word and it starts with B. Thinking about it makes me hungry.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

On the predators part bad idea. Sooner or later these foreign predators will be uncontrollable and threaten the local wildlife.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
tis not that out of control

they move into more areas now, and take over some locales for a 6 month time but

the coyotes dine on the little ones like we go to jack in the box

figured that out with my Armasight thermal scope...it's the big hogs that are trouble, the regulars are 80 pounders...

the regulars are also so friggin cute i can't harm one.....walked up at midnite on a pair of hogs with 8 piggy kids crawling all over mom and dad laying in the grass....making nuzzling noises

who could shoot then...

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Pay for.my ticket,provide three good dogs and I'll give it a good nudge. A lot of us don't use guns to pig hunt over here,it deafens the dogs. We get the dogs to bail and hold then stick em with a good knife..
First cut goes to the dogs.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

Wow,me and the kids are having pigs head for dinner,forgot to mention that. Salt and oil for the skin for crackling, render the fat for cooking veges and cheek meat for dinner.
I'm 20ft away and its smelling better than any bacon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join