It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RE: North Korea. Why doesn't the Trump admin offer Kim a carrot while waving the stick?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hello,

I'm at a bit of a loss with regards to the North Korea situation with respect to the efforts being made to resolve the problem.

It seems to me that the Trump administration are not offering the North Korean regime any positive incentives or a pathway which would allow the North Korean dictator a way to save face and score a win for himself, his country and people, and yes, I'm well aware of what a duchebag he is.

Why isn't the Trump administration not pointing out what a deal would mean for the Kim regime and his people?

No doubt the sanctions are working to squeeze and pressure, but how is that alone supposed to bring him to the negotiating table?

It doesn't make any sense, imho, to refrain from making that kind of appeal (carrot) to the dictator, his government and the North Korean people, which would surely serve to further increase pressure on him to come to the table and negotiate an agreement.

Without a win/win and nothing but negative consequences, there's no opening.

I don't get it. Can someone enlighten me as to the approach which lacks the big carrot to go with the big stick?

Thanks.

Ankh

edit on 20-11-2017 by AnkhMorpork because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I havent had time to much follow the issue outside of browsing some of the threads around here this year.

Do they not have any way out before them?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork
Hello,

I'm at a bit of a loss with regards to the North Korea situation with respect to the efforts being made to resolve the problem.

It seems to me that the Trump administration are not offering the North Korean regime any positive incentives or a pathway which would allow the North Korean dictator a way to save face and score a win for himself, his country and people, and yes, I'm well aware of what a duchebag he is.

Why isn't the Trump administration not pointing out what a deal would mean for the Kim regime and his people?

No doubt the sanctions are working to squeeze and pressure, but how is that alone supposed to bring him to the negotiating table?

It doesn't make any sense, imho, to refrain from making that kind of appeal (carrot) to the dictator, his government and the North Korean people, which would surely serve to further increase pressure on him to come to the table and negotiate an agreement.

I don't get it. Can someone enlighten me as to the approach which lacks the big carrot to go with the big stick?

Thanks.

Ankh

Sanctions slow down his nuclear weapon project. Simple rule - you can't go around threatening other countries with nuclear destruction while wanting the benefits of modern civilization. That restricts NK to keeping the wealth to Pyong-Yang.

It's been tried before - offering economic development programs in exchange for abandoning nuclear weapons development. But as NK was born after World War II when Japan surrendered due to the atomic weapons used on their ciies and the way other countries have more influence when they do have nukes, then it becomes high priority for them to nuke up.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

There's been almost no talk about any benefits, no.

They seem to be making it all but impossible for Kim to come to the table. It's ridiculous.

If I were in charge and telegraphing, if would give equal time to the carrot as the stick, which would actually put more pressure on Kim to make a deal.

He could preserve his security, his people could be fed and looked after and North Korea could go from being the most isolated country in the world to joining the international community with all sanctions lifted.

There's almost ZERO carrot talk from the Trump administration.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Hello,

Thanks.

Ankh

Where have you been? The US has been constantly sending aid for like 30 years and all they get in return is broken promises and saber rattling. The North Koreans cannot be trusted. When they start running out of money and food, they start provoking the US to get help. Once they get some help, Fat Boy goes back to his DVDs and sports cars until they run out of food again. Wash, rinse, & repeat.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
North Korea eats the carrots and shows their gratitude by threatening the world. Over and over again for decades.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

There's almost ZERO carrot talk from the Trump administration.

What concessions do you suggest we make to a country that is threatening us with nuclear annihilation? I am curious what solution you have to this issue? Where I come from you don't reward bad behavior.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Clinton tried that approach years ago and now they have nukes.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

We tried the carrot approach......it's what has got us to where we are. NK played rope a dope while getting nuclear weapons. The NK Government won't give up it's nuclear ambitions, how should we incentivise that? Short of regime change, either internally or via the U.S. or China, I see no way they give them up.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

what is the NK problem to be exact?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Enough carrots, time for the stick.

NK doesn't even think there IS a stick anymore.

They have to wake up.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

not yet but trump supporters love lies.
the bbc article i linked failed to mention zero radiation has been detected but if you bothered to do any research, you would find its easier to scaremonger the idiot masses and keep one non story rumbling on.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Exactly, and then Obama/Kerry tried the same approach with Iran, knowing for a fact it doesn't work. But hey, on paper he "made a deal" with Iran.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: harrogate

not yet but trump supporters love lies.
the bbc article i linked failed to mention zero radiation has been detected but if you bothered to do any research, you would find its easier to scaremonger the idiot masses and keep one non story rumbling on.

Speaking of lies, it's a lie that there's been no radiation detected.
Source

They do indeed have nukes, and the BBC article you linked makes it clear they're very close to having a deliverable warhead, if they don't have one already. But I know you have to pretend something else so you can feel like you're "in the know".

To the OP, as a few folks have already mentioned we've tried the approach you're suggesting. It doesn't work. At this point I'm convinced only one thing will work, although I hope it doesn't come to that.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Dictator with nukes, threatening, while developing the ability to deliver them anywhere.

There are other problems of course involving the nature of the dictatorship and it's violation of human rights and freedoms.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Maybe it just goes without saying that when he denuclearizes, sanctions will be lifted..

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Dictator with nukes, threatening, while developing the ability to deliver them anywhere.

There are other problems of course involving the nature of the dictatorship and it's violation of human rights and freedoms.

you are not telling me the problem NK poses or threat to us,

we have nukes, we've used nukes, we threaten nk just as much and send warships near their borders.
you say there are of course problems with blah blah blah, but fail to describe one pertaining to us or anyone else.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Why do we need a stick or a carrot? If North Korea is a problem, it's a UN problem. Let them deal with it.

Besides, would you take something small, orange, crooked, and withered looking from Donald Trump?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Do you have any idea what goes on in that country and what it's values are?

It's an absolute disgrace.

To allow such a one to have nukes and threaten others is just intolerable, sorry.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Cool man, that's an interesting angle I've never pondered before.

Stuff I do ponder on about NK is how-come we don't sneak in there an infiltrate the populace and sway their opinion of their leader like we do in the middle east- south america- africa?

I mean we got what 17 spook agencies that we send into foreign lands to scope out what kind of resources we can then one day sucker them out of, but I guess the NK is hands-off territory bc China whatever wants to do it themselves?

I suppose if the populace has garnered any special skills besides subordination to their mighty unicorn master and healer, we could offer them jobs at the least?

Does NK have any rich deposits?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join