It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much does it cost to heat your home?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
You should ask the square footage of the house also.
That will help with an apples to apples comparison.

I have a 1500 sq foot house.
Everything is electric. Heat, air, hot water, well pump, clothes dryer.
Family of three.

We average around $250 a month. Higher in the winter, lower all summer.

We don't do house size by volume in the UK so that never occured to me.

What if you have a powercut with everything electric?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

A few years ago we had an ice storm and lost power for three days.
We have a fire place and I have a portable propane heater just in case.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Here in the Rio Grand Valley, high desert with windows facing south, brick floors and a wood heater. LPG tank for the Range.

$ 0
edit on 20-11-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Another Australian in the thread - In the cooler months, I wear a jumper during the day and have blankies wrapped around me at night. Don't use the heating unless I feel it's absolutely necessary. I'm one of those crazy people who whips open the doors and windows first thing in the morning and lets the nice icy refreshing breeze emanate through the house. The coldest it gets for my region is around -5 Celsius, usually hovers around -2 to 3 in the mornings and gets up to 20 during the day.

Cooling in summer though... depending on humidity, I try to wait til at least 38 Celsius before I resign myself to air conditioning and increasing my electricity bill. My bill is usually pretty stable though, $280 to $330 (AUD) a quarter. (Be interesting to see my next bill actually, since costs have recently risen. *sigh*.)

Also live in a region where power outages occur frequently. But they usually happen in summer with everyone blasting their aircons, and when the summer storms hit.

edit on 20 11 2017 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Even where I live in Melbourne where it can get to what I consider to be brutally cold in the winter. Sometimes below 5 degrees celsius during the night, which is way to cold for any rational human being to endure, imo..

😂 -5 C is a beautiful winter day in my part of the world. Try living through -38C with a windchill making it feel like -45 C. -5C is iceskating weather , and everyone is enjoying the fantastic winter temperatures.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

Even where I live in Melbourne where it can get to what I consider to be brutally cold in the winter. Sometimes below 5 degrees celsius during the night, which is way to cold for any rational human being to endure, imo..

😂 -5 C is a beautiful winter day in my part of the world. Try living through -38C with a windchill making it feel like -45 C. -5C is iceskating weather , and everyone is enjoying the fantastic winter temperatures.

I'm from the South, and I'd call you crazy.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

And you would be correct 😜

All kidding aside , it's not that bad all the time... and our summers and falls are great. Hard on vehicles though... on everything..( such extreme opposites in temp)...and we get a lot of water pipelines breaking in winter which sucks for repair ,as well as street safety.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

lol, just for the record, I said below 5 C, not -5 C...

Like seriously, ouch! Maybe it gets that cold somewhere in Australia... But I've never personally in my life wittnessed any weather below maybe -2 to -3 degrees C.

The very thought of enduring anything lower than that just sounds to brutal to even imagine to me...

I do night shift and if its only even about 3 degrees C in the middle of a winter night when we take lunch, I'll lose all feelings in my hands and can barely move after being inactive after half an hour...

To be totally honest, my mind is just blown to how you guys in Norhern Europe and America can even live though that minus celsius double digit weather, let alone just happily deal with it.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Alaska checking in. My house was built during the oil boom, so it's not that well insulated. Our highest bills for nat gas usually come in January and climb as high as $300, though $250 is a bit more normal. Fireplace gets a lot of action on the coldest nights, just to keep the heater from running nonstop. Summers are fantastic, though, with the usual summer bill going as low as $30 just for cooking and the water heater. Same for electric, though I'm a member of an electric co-op, which balances our bills out over 12 months a bit better. I'm cool with paying $100 in the summer to keep my winter bills under $200. Without that I'd have $600-$700 per month some winters just in heating and light bills.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
To be totally honest, my mind is just blown to how you guys in Norhern Europe and America can even live though that minus celsius double digit weather, let alone just happily deal with it.

Celsius scale is lost on me, but I can say this much... 20 degree F feels a lot colder in October than it does in March when we're starting to warm up to it during the day. I've had 20-25 degree sunny days in March where I ran around in a T-shirt praising the warmth and sunlight... never been too excited to see those temps every fall, however.
I've experienced 125+ degrees in Phoenix, AZ and -50 in Fairbanks, and I'm here to tell you, I'll take cold over hot every time. I can always throw another blanket on the bed or put on another layer of wool if it's real cold, but a man can only get so naked to cool down.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
We're tightening the heating budget this year, the $300 winter months average the last couple of years is BS and we need to reduce that gas usage. We have 1400 sq ft between 2 floors, plus another 700 of partially finished basement. The furnace is set for 67*F, and is not allowed to go up unless it's damn cold outside. Our summer gas bills are under $20, if we can reduce winter bill by half, I'll be happy.

I spent most of the summer double-checking windows & door frames for leaks & redoing any caulking that needed it. I also replaced the weatherstripping on 2 out of our 3 doors (the third is sealed up behind a thermal curtain and a blanket for the winter since we don't use it this time of year) I've already noticed a drastic reduction in drafts from the doors, so I guess replacing the stripping really was necessary. It'll pay for itself soon enough, I don't mind shelling out for that while renting.
Our bill is also bound to be far less anyway, because our furnace died at the beginning of the month & our landlord got a much more efficient new one for us (one of those times I'm grateful to rent rather than own)

originally posted by: eXia7

I'm from the South, too (way south, FL) and I shovel snow in that kind of weather in shorts & a tank now
I already know I'm crazy though, even the mail guy who happily chirps "Fine day for a walk today!" in heavy downpours or high winds looks at me like I've done lost it. It's usually us giving him that look
edit on 11/20/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Upstate NY between the foothills of the Adirondacks and the Mohawk Valley. I've got a 136 year old farm house and have only renovated part of it so the insulation in the main house is ancient and overdue for an upgrade but the plaster and large walls keep it pretty tight with little draft. It's pretty good sized at 3400 sq Ft and I can run through 250 gallons of heating oil in a month between late November and early March and then maybe another 500 gallons for the other 8 months with prices on oil varying year to year. I think rt now it's about 2.20-2.40 per gallon but it's been a couple of months since I had to have it filled so it could be a little higher at the moment. And I keep the heat at about 66 in the winter. My son will complain a little, especially when I tell him to suck it up and put on a long sleeved shirt or sweatshirt. If I can get. New liner for my chimney, I can knock back the oil useage a bit and get and extra week and a half to two weeks out of a 250 gal oil tank. The woodstove isn't super efficient but the blower sends heat across the whole house and keeps things pretty toasty and a $150 pallet of cured and dried wood will last all winter. So all in all, it averages around nd 300-350/ month over an entire year with the electricity to run the furnace, boiler mte for water and the pumps.
edit on 20-11-2017 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It costs about...$35/year. The cost of a nice, warm , blanket and pair of thick socks. Southern California doesn't get that cold.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
After reading what some members are paying to heat their property across the pond i am glad us Brits live in small caves , I have a 1 bedroom house and only pay £ 25 - 37 $ a month to heat my place on gas and my place is cosey i use a oil filled electric radiator in the bedroom because i love the heat and my genes were not meant for this country and my electric bill in the winter is around 40-50$ a month half that in summer .

Americans seem to get ripped off for internet/phone and heating

posted on Dec, 28 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

How much does it cost to heat your home?

Dunno, but the Maruise Strong, the 4 times billionire behind Agenda 21 said in the forward of the Agenda 21 document that heating and cooling of homes and workplaces is not envronmentaly sustainable and it has to go.

I wonder if all heating and cooling has been taken out of his mansion home and his plush offices.

Come to think of it, he does not say that big flash mansions or very plush offices are not environmentaly sustainable. I wonder what ever could be the reason i wonder??

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Just found this online about winter deaths in the uk It may be propaganda from a Russian source

www.rt.com...

Unheated homes killed over 16,000 people across UK last winter, govt watchdog finds

Over winter 2017-18, we estimate that fuel poverty may have contributed to 5,500 excess winter deaths and that 16,500 excess winter deaths may have been linked to people living in cold homes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join