It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for the african-american ats members.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Voter id laws.
We all know the deal. One side says the id laws are there to preserve the integrity of our voting system. The other side says that the id laws make it more difficult for african-american citizens to vote.

I hear all kinds of of reason from white people on both sides why this is and isn't a problem.
But I wonder, are these white people like me in the since that they hardly ever spend time with humans from other cultures?
I have to assume they are because every white friend I ever had, the majority of their friends were also white.

All I know is that I know nothing about the black community and what better place to get some answers than here on ats.
Questions.

1. Are most of your friends african-american?
2. Out of all of your friends and family how many of them do not have ids?
3. Was it difficult for you to obtain an id if you do have one? If yes than how?
4. Have you ever been denied access to a voting booth. If yes, explain.
5. Do you believe that voter id laws will keep you or someone from your community from voting. If yes , explain.

Giving me honest answers to these questions will help me understand the reality we share much better.
Thank you.

edit on 19-11-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

There have been a lot of studies on this subject with real data not just superstitious delusions:

How Voter ID Laws Discriminate

The right uses all kinds of tactics for voter suppression. But nobody really likes democracy anyway.

+20 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Need an ID to buy alcohol and tobacco? Sure, that's reasonable.
Need an ID to drive a car? That's ok, it's the law.
Need an ID to vote for the president of an entire country? Oh no, that's racist against black people!

There's nothing racist whatsoever about requiring people to have an ID to vote. We do that to ensure that the voting system is fair and legal. As an American, you wouldn't fly to China and demand that they let you vote for their next president even though you're not a Chinese citizen and refuse to show any identification so they know who you are. That's obviously ridiculous, isn't it?

The only people who are against voter ID laws are people who want illegal voting to occur, such as people voting multiple times, or people voting who snuck into the country illegally. It's kindof ironic that this became a huge issue (or at least the MSM made it look like one) during the previous election, isn't it?
edit on 11/19/2017 by trollz because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

First off...as far as I'm aware it is law that one must have in their possession, while in public, a state issue ID. Secondly as far as I'm aware there is no difference in the process to obtain said ID for any race...so same for me as everyone else. So how does requiring an ID discriminate against anyone if a black guy or a hispanic guy obtain an ID the same way I do (I'm white)?

+3 more 
link   

Why is your question based on skin color?

Ever think there are white people living in poverty too? The fact it is race based is why those of us intelligent know it's utter BS!

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
The right uses all kinds of tactics for voter suppression. But nobody really likes democracy anyway.

Please explain to me how requiring a person to have an identification to participate in the government is some kind of right-wing suppression tactic.
Please also explain to me how allowing people to commit vote fraud by not checking anyone's basic, universally-available identification is a form of democracy.

People being allowed to vote as many times as they want is not democracy. Foreign non-citizens being allowed to vote is not democracy.
edit on 11/19/2017 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I like that you posted an article written by a black man so as to fit in my thread.
But unfortunately the article only tells me the things I already hear.
That stricter voter id laws cause a lower turn out among black voters.
The purpose of my thread is to ask the black voters why that is the case.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Ever think there are white people living in poverty too? The fact it is race based is why those of us intelligent know it's utter BS!

Because that's what I hear from other white people.
They tell me that black people are saying voter id laws are raciest.
I'm here asking our black members if they in fact think this way.

Better to get my information from the source don't you think?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

That's all you'll get from that crowd too...its racist because...reasons.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Your flaw in your question is that it's only black people in this country living in poverty that are too poor to have an ID when we all know that isn't true!
You can't get ANY government assistance without a valid ID!
edit on 19-11-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I guess black folk simply don't know how to obtain an ID.....The soft bigotry of the left..

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
For the left to imply that people of races other than white are incapable of obtaining an ID is racism at its most insulting.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
i'm white, but here's my voter ID experience.

when i lived in virginia, i had to get an ID to vote. the closest place to get an ID was a two-hour round trip by car. there was not a public transportation option to reach this place. it was also only open during normal monday-friday business hours.

i was fortunate to both have the transportation available to be able to go, and also to be able to make the time to do it. when i got there, i was not required to present any other identification to get this card -- i just had to fill out a form.

please tell me, what amount of security does this bring to the voting process if i didn't have to provide any other form of ID?

additionally, the burden of both transportation and free time during normal working hours are burdens that fall disproportionately on poor citizens. because of the economic fact that more of our black citizens live in poverty, this disproportionately affects our black citizens as well. therefore, yes, it is racist both in practice and in intent.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Ah fallacies. Is that the exact word for word expectation that is desired? No. Try again.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

You can't get ANY government assistance without a valid ID!

Good point!
edit on 11/19/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

Ah fallacies. Is that the exact word for word expectation that is desired? No. Try again.

i'm happy to expound on my post but i'm not sure what you're saying. what do you find fallacious? what expectation isn't desired that is occurring in practice anyway, and how do you see that as validating your point?

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I lived in VA for 21 years...and have been to DMV to get many IDs. You must prove residence with 2 forms of proof from their approved list...you also must prove citizenship with 2 forms from their approved list. You sir either went to a DMV with lazy or corrupt employees or you're lying. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had to make 2 trips in a day to get an ID because they wouldn't accept some form of proof of residence or citizenship I brought. Transportation is a personal problem and before you say it would prohibit someone...I haven't had a license in 10 years...but somehow I've always had an ID...

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Your exact words are not the expected desire. I seriously don't feel like having to explain what is already in plain English.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

I lived in VA for 21 years...and have been to DMV to get many IDs. You must prove residence with 2 forms of proof from their approved list...you also must prove citizenship with 2 forms from their approved list. You sir either went to a DMV with lazy or corrupt employees or you're lying. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had to make 2 trips in a day to get an ID because they wouldn't accept some form of proof of residence or citizenship I brought. Transportation is a personal problem and before you say it would prohibit someone...I haven't had a license in 10 years...but somehow I've always had an ID...

i'm not lying. i moved to virginia from maryland. i didn't update my driver's license, so it wasn't a DMV thing to begin with. i filled out a form online to apply for the voter ID, and then i went to the county office to get it. i didn't have to show my ID at that office. were they negligent in not asking? were they supposed to? i don't know, but it doesn't seem to me that the process i went through added any security to the process, just difficulty on my end.

you're fortunate you've been able to arrange it. living in a more out of the way area, having time constraints, and other factors can make it more difficult for others. obviously our experiences were not the same, for example.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join