It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2001 Mars Odyssey Visible Wavelength THEMIS Images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Here are some images I processed about 11 years ago form the 2001 Mars Odyssey Orbiter. The images were taken with the THEMIS Visible camera.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Anyone know/want to guess what the images are scenes of, or what part of Mars it is? Remember these were taken from orbit. These are not true colors, just what I thought looked best at that time. I am not sure I know what all of them are images of, but I am sure it can be figured out if anyone is interested in any of them. These are just a few I picked at random.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

In the last image, we see some CO2 frost, so it's somewhere near the polar regions.

In the second from the top image, it's either a collapsed lava tube or a gully created by erosion.

However, since you so conveniently left the THEMIS image IDs in your images, it's not that hard to find the original images and all the details.

viewer.mars.asu.edu...

viewer.mars.asu.edu...

~~~

P.S. with a bit of research, it turns out that the gully is actually a river channel called Nirgal Vallis: en.wikipedia.org...

Here's a part of it as seen by HiRISE camera in approximately true-colour: hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu...

edit on 19-11-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

I think the top one and bottom 2 are north polar views. Amazing how much the images advanced in a few years from ODY to MRO.

join