It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump administration lifts ban on importing lion hunt trophies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Changing the law to bring your hunt home is = to buying parts from a poacher?

Again, fake outrage.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

No, not a deflection. A reasonable response to your point about "but China are worse though!"

I did add an edit in response to your OTHER point, but you obviously didn't see it so:

"Oh and in reply to your "why not make money from animal control" argument... you do realise lions are endangered right? It's not like there's a gang of them hanging about on every street corner cat-calling ladies and stealing people's ice creams.."

Oh AND, speaking of deflecting, ignoring, cherry picking and what have you...

When you initially replied to my comment and chose to focus on the (obvious) silly remark I made about killing 6 billion people, bizarrely enough, you totally ignored the entirety of my post up to that point and didn't actually address what I'd asked...
So.. in case the trauma of seeing me callin for the extermination of the human race has caused your personality to fragment and you've repressed what I said here's a refresher:

There was a law preventing import already so, what possible justification was there for getting rid of it? 
Fair enough, if there was no law then there's a debate to be had about whether one is needed. Presumably that already took place and they determined there was a need for the law. 

So... 

Why the change? Is there suddenly no need for it? Are the reasons it was originally introduced no longer valid? What possible justification is there for this? Genuinely, I'm curious.. 

Any thoughts... at all?

edit on 17-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Again, fake outrage.

You would be stupid to not realize that poaching will also increase due to a new demand this law change will make. Animal trophies can now be brought back and poachers will have a new demand from Americans who can now buy and bring them back.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

You know when everyone lost their minds over that dentist, a fellow going to school in the states wrote an opinion piece and he received death threats for saying growing up in Africa death by lion was a real concern for his village.. Sorry I will take the word of someone that lived there and saw the after effects of a lion attack.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacquesdarippa

I am saying it would be best if we were not even part of that trade. Saying it is OK to be part of one illegal act because other countries do it, is not a great point.

So by allowing a hunter that pays the money and fills out the paper work to legally go on a hunt, we are suddenly performing an illegal act?

Please enlighten me on that jump.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I am talking about the buying from poachers. This new law opens up a new demand for them.
edit on 17-11-2017 by jacquesdarippa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Again, fake outrage.

You would be stupid to not realize that poaching will also increase due to a new demand this law change will make. Animal trophies can now be brought back and poachers will have a new demand from Americans who can now buy and bring them back.

Do you really believe that the law Obama signed stopped poaching?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

It sure did cut the demand if it wasn't legal for Americans to bring back trophies. Probably didn't stop poaching but stopped a demand from Americans.

edit on 17-11-2017 by jacquesdarippa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Indrasweb

You know when everyone lost their minds over that dentist, a fellow going to school in the states wrote an opinion piece and he received death threats for saying growing up in Africa death by lion was a real concern for his village.. Sorry I will take the word of someone that lived there and saw the after effects of a lion attack.

You know what, Africans are more than capable to kill any lion that threatens them

They don’t need tourist hunters coming in to kill for blood lust and then say they did it so the local villages could eat

link   

It sure did cut the demand if it wasn't legal for Americans to bring back trophies.

Can you back that up with some stats?

link   

Do you really believe that opening up an enormous market like the US for trade of rare animal products WON'T increase poaching?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb

Do you really believe that opening up an enormous market like the US for trade of rare animal products WON'T increase poaching?

So no facts then.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Legal ivory sale drove dramatic increase in elephant poaching, study shows

The 2008 ivory sale also corresponded with a 70% rise in the seizures of illegal ivory. The surges in poaching and seizures occurred right across Africa and the researchers checked for other factors that might have been involved, such as an increase in Chinese workers in Africa or rising affluence in China or Japan.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

It's not rocket science buddy. Poachers see new demand, more animals killed.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Hunting is one of the only ways that the small African nations can afford conservation.

I have no idea why Trump did this. But I do know that if Africans are allowed to manage their own resources without our interference, they may be able to help meet conservation in the middle with subsistence. Its popular for westerners to romanticize Africa as the global zoo, but the facts are that humanity is growing there, and its creating problems between humans and animals.

If they are able to find ways to fund efforts that ease this friction, then they may get to be one of the only continents that has humans living alongside the wild, dangerous animals that the west has almost completely eradicated from its lands.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Again, fake outrage.

No.

But making it easy, once again, for poachers to sell their wares abroad tends to 'up' the demand for them to continue doing so, as well as for more poachers to get back into the game now that there's more money to be made again.

Lion paw purse and lion tooth necklace anyone ?

Just go to www.we-sell-lion-parts-dirt-cheap.com and have your order shipped right to your front door. "Free shipping for all our US customers !"

Everyone knows the US is the largest consumer market in the world. The US beats out China by more than double when it comes to consumer spending - this also includes internet shopping.

There's a reason why internet businesses around the world offer "free shipping to US customers only"... and it ain't because they love America's invention of Velveeta cheese.

So if the world's largest consumer market is back in business for buying exotic animal parts from Africa, it goes without saying that African poachers just hit payday, once again.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Hopefully they will take the money and hire more security to keep the poaching down, hunters should be able to keep their legal trophy If they choose to.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

MAGA !
Make All Game Available.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Hopefully they will take the money and hire more security to keep the poaching down, hunters should be able to keep their legal trophy If they choose to.

I agree, hunters should be able to keep their trophies.

Unfortunately Africa is a tricky problem, in particular with regards to this hunting stuff.

But you do make a valid point.... maybe this will up the need to employ more people to chase down the poaching bastards who'll try to take advantage of these changes.

So maybe there's a bit of a silver lining behind this potential cloud ?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Here's to hoping

Have a beautiful weekend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join