It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump administration lifts ban on importing lion hunt trophies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Yep this will increase poaching, now that they can sell to Americans who are allowed to bring back trophies.

link   
a reply to: jacquesdarippa

I see no reason for a law that limits a legal hunt, the problem with hunts in Africa revolves around illegal hunts. The legal hunts do put money into the conservation efforts despite what some people think.

link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: TheLead
a reply to: Southern Guardian

And?? You could already hunt them, just couldn't bring them back to the states. I don't see an issue with the change.

Then why bother with this change?

So the hunter can keep what they paid for?

link   
Of course the Trump Administration is doing this to promote conservation of these endangered animals. He and his people are so well known for their respect for nature and the environment.

And we know that the various African governments are above reproach and will definitely invest all of this money back into the animal preserves. They are all so absolutely committed to preserving the ecology of their nations.

[/sarcasm]

-dex

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that these trophies were getting into the country anyway. This just makes it legal to bring them in. It will hurt the pocketbook of the people that have to be bribed to get them in. There will be some pretty disappointed inspectors.
edit on 17-11-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Indrasweb

I am going to guess you have little to no experience when it comes to dealing with animal herd size as people encroach on their territory?

Do you know what happened when Wolves were reintroduced to yellow stone?

By culling the herd you encourage growth, you also limit the chances of people being killed by the predators.

So, because people are ruining their habitats, trashing their environments and introducing species into areas where they are not then we should kill them? Great.. or.. you know.. we could stop doing that too???

Also, I did say previously that under some circumstances then killing for population control may be necessary. This isn't that. And you know it.

I don't know many pest controllers nailing rat and raccoon corpses to their living room walls, do you?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

You do realize that poaching will also increase, right. There will now be a market for animal trophies, now that Americans can bring back those trophies.
edit on 17-11-2017 by jacquesdarippa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: intrepid

are you against pulling a useless law... or against it because trump pulled an Obama law?

Just pointing out that that is EXACTLY why this law was changed. It's a waste of time and petty.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: thesaneone

Yeah, I understood that.. but I'm fairly sure that by changing the law you're signalling that you condone it AND making it more attractive to people by letting them import the wonderful mementos of their killing expeditions..

If the host country allows the hunt then why blame the U.S?

You mean for making it more enticing to go on these hunts? I can't imagine why.

How's the big game hunting in Canada?

We don't hunt big game here. We only club seals. Haven't you heard?

In other words your post is ridiculous. But I hear hunting bear and moose is fun. Guess what Sparky. Those species aren't going extinct.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jacquesdarippa

China is arguably the most damaging nation on the planet when it comes to damaging animal trade, any flow our direction will be minuscule in comparison.

eta: Or does that not flow with your America is the root of all evil schtick?
edit on 17-11-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Yawn.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

so when they need to get rid of animals why should they not make money from it and use it to help preserve the species?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Last I heard, Cape Breton is begging for hunters to go out and hunt moose.

The moose population has gotten so out of control, you're practically putting your life at risk every time you drive out onto the highway.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Wait your argument is, since one country does it, it is ok for America to do it?

Wouldn't it be better if America was not part of the illegal animal trade? Which is going to happen, now that poachers can sell to Americans who want to bring home a trophy.

Would really love to see the part where I claimed America is the root of all evil.

link   

I truly do not care, anytime we actually get a stupid law off the books I call it a win, I do not care how petty the politicians were.

They are all petulant children.

link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

And damn tasty. Best meat I've eaten.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Sure.. and Sri Lanka and Thailand are by far the worst nations for child prostitution so.. if a few more people start screwing kids in the states it'll be miniscule in comparison.. no worries eh?

Oh and since you missed the point last time and somehow thought I was actually advocating mass murder, I'll make it clear.. I'm not actually advocating you guys start screwing kids

Oh and in reply to your "why not make money from animal control" argument... you do realise lions are endangered right? It's not like there's a gang of them hanging about on every street corner cat-calling ladies and stealing people's ice creams...
edit on 17-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacquesdarippa

Wait your argument is, since one country does it, it is ok for America to do it?

Wouldn't it be better if America was not part of the illegal animal trade? Which is going to happen, now that poachers can sell to Americans who want to bring home a trophy.

Proof show me we are such a huge problem in illegal animal trade, i guarantee we are not the country that is going to depopulate endangered species , china is far ahead of us in this area.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb

Sure.. and Sri Lanka and Thailand are by far the worst nations for child prostitution so.. if a few more people start screwing kids in the states it'll be miniscule in comparison.. no worries eh?

Oh and since you missed the point last time and somehow thought I was actually advocating mass murder, I'll make it clear.. I'm not actually advocating you guys start screwing kids

Nice deflection you had no reply so I will ask again...

Why should African nations not make money on something they are going to have to do anyways?

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I am saying it would be best if we were not even part of that trade. Saying it is OK to be part of one illegal act because other countries do it, is not a great point.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join