It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Russia Hockey.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This goes back 45 years. To the Summit Series.

The Summit Series, or Super Series[1] (in Russian Суперсерия СССР — Канада; Superseriya SSSR — Canada), known at the time simply as the Canada–USSR Series, was an eight-game series of ice hockey between the Soviet Union and Canada, held in September 1972. It was the first competition between the Soviet national team and a Canadian team represented by professional players of the National Hockey League (NHL), known as Team Canada. It was the first international ice hockey competition for Canada after Canada had withdrawn from international ice hockey competitions in a dispute with the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF). The series was organized with the intention to create a true best-on-best competition in the sport of ice hockey. The Soviets had become the dominant team in international competitions, which disallowed the professional players of Canada. Canada had had a long history of dominance of the sport prior to the Soviets' rise.

en.wikipedia.org...

It might not have much attention outside of Russia and Canada but it's part of our lore. The best of the Soviet Union, we always called them Russian who were the best in the world. They may have been considered amateur but playing for the Red Army that was their job. They WERE professionals. So it was their best against our best. The 8 game series was won by Canada late in the eighth game. There has been a respectful love-hate relationship ever since.

My father rented our first colour TV for this. He eventually bought it. I watched all the games. Dad even woke me up for the early morning games broadcast from Russia. A fond memory. So what's the point of this trip down memory lane? Last night was the 6th and final game of the Russia CHL series. Their juniors against ours. The Russians needed to win in regulation to win the series. Canada won in a shootout.

en.wikipedia.org...

Last nights game isn't updated yet.

This is a long term and loved/anticipated rivalry. Think Packers/Bears. Yankees/Red Socks. To this day I prefer international hockey over the pros. And us playing the Russians most of all.
edit on 17-11-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Thanks for your recollections. Great he rented a color tv for this.

This is when the Canadiens who traveled to the Soviet Union to watch came up with the chant "Da Da Canada, Nyet Nyet Soviet!"

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: C84K2

Oh yeah. And Esposito's invitation to fight was classic:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't follow hockey but I know a few guys who love it.
I'm gonna check this one out.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
while you are talking candada and russia.

Who can forget this, eh

soixante-six beating the commies

www.youtube.com...
edit on 17-11-2017 by SocratesJohnson because: i don't know how to enbed video, and i still don't,,,,

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

I wonder how that team would have done against the '72 team.

www.chidlovski.com...

I'd wager Serge Savard and Bobby Orr could shut down Gretzky and Lemieux.
Hell, Gilbert Pereault was the original Lemieux.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

www.chidlovski.com...

What?? Orr was NOT a great defenseman. He was a great hockey player. I watch Big M go around Orr like he was standing still...twice. Then Orr took a hooking penalty the third time....all in one shift. It would be close Savard and Orr vs Gretz and Lemieux in that the former two could score and the latter not that great on defense. They didn't call Gretz 'the cherry picker' for nothing....

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

www.chidlovski.com...

What?? Orr was NOT a great defenseman. He was a great hockey player. I watch Big M go around Orr like he was standing still...twice. Then Orr took a hooking penalty the third time....all in one shift. It would be close Savard and Orr vs Gretz and Lemieux in that the former two could score and the latter not that great on defense. They didn't call Gretz 'the cherry picker' for nothing....

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Frank was on that team too. Big player at that time. He was also a senator for a time too.

ETA: Our senate is appointed, not elected but it doesn't have near the power of the US senate. It's more of a sounding board. Unlike Ken Dryden, also on that team, who was elected 3 times to the House.

edit on 17-11-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I was dreaming of a Canada - Russia final in Sochi.

The Ruskies are a mere shade of what they used to be.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

They are getting better. Seeing their juniors doing as well as they are is encouraging.

top topics

join