It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left Laners

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If you really want to experience how bad people drive, start riding motorcycles. Being completely exposed on a motorcycle really heightens your awareness of how bad people drive. I think riding motorcycles has made me a much better driver as I am far more aware as to what is going on around me because you have to literally have your head on a swivel and anticipate driver's on a bike. What would be a small fender bender in a car can kill you on a bike.

What really gets under my skin are driver's who do stupid stuff as they are too absorbed in their own world and needs.

1) Intersection blockers. People who are so in a hurry, they pull out into an intersection not paying attention and get stuck blocking traffic in the other direction.
2) No blinkers. People who don't use turn signals.
3) Left turners. People who try to make left turns in unsafe spots like trying to cross three lanes of traffic (not at an intersection).
4) U turners. Here in Chicago, people will make u turns anywhere. I am talking middle of the block.
5) Polite drivers. Sometimes people being polite cause dangerous situations.

I could go on and on.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

Here in LA, the left lane is for faster traffic. I use it allot, but always move over if there is a car coming up behind me and let it pass, if they really feel the need to go faster than me.

This is something I think a lot of country people don't understand about city traffic. There are just too many cars on the road to adhere to the "right lane for driving and left lane for passing" rule. Instead it becomes the left lane is the fast lane and the right lane is the slow lane (this is literally what they taught me in Maryland's driver's ed program btw), where if you are in the left lane and someone is coming up on you at a faster rate of speed, you move over for them and then back again so as not to be slowed down by the slow right lane.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: kurthall

Here in LA, the left lane is for faster traffic. I use it allot, but always move over if there is a car coming up behind me and let it pass, if they really feel the need to go faster than me.

This is something I think a lot of country people don't understand about city traffic. There are just too many cars on the road to adhere to the "right lane for driving and left lane for passing" rule. Instead it becomes the left lane is the fast lane and the right lane is the slow lane (this is literally what they taught me in Maryland's driver's ed program btw), where if you are in the left lane and someone is coming up on you at a faster rate of speed, you move over for them and then back again so as not to be slowed down by the slow right lane.

That is a good point. When I am in a city area, I am definitely camping out in left lane because if you don't you will be constantly trying to pass and weave around slow drivers which is more dangerous imho. However, when I am on road trips and get out into rural areas with little traffic, I usually adhere to staying in the right lane because there is really no point in being in the left lane.

I think the biggest issue I see is that too many driver's don't understand the natural flow of traffic. On highways there is a natural flow regardless of speed limit. In fact, there have been studies that show regardless of speed limit rules, traffic tends to flow at a natural state on highways even if it is above a given speed limit. Around here it is about 75-80 mph even in areas with 55 mph limit. Even in the slow lanes, traffic tends to naturally flow around 70 mph. However, what often happens is this flow gets upset by slow drivers doing 55-60 causing drivers to need to constantly weave in and out of traffic and thus unnecessary braking which is what causes the accordion effect leading to traffic jams.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yeah, plus all that traffic weaving will result in a ticket in some cities for aggressive driving. It's just better to camp out in the left lane to maintain that flow you were speaking about.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Want to feed your frustration? Watch a few of the Russian driving videos on YouTube. They do incredibly stupid things.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: intrptr

The speech limit is the law, in 'both lanes'. The 'fast' lane is the unwritten rule.

Unwritten rules aren't in the manual.

The DMV handbook doesn't say stay right, faster traffic stay left. It does advise, yield your lane to faster traffic. But thats not a law.

This isn't the AutoBahn.

left lane passing does not equal speeding though

i always thought the left lane was the passing lane. lots of people in both lanes, especially right drive under the limit. you pass on left then get back to right.
also the etiquette is different on city streets and state roads. the left lane passing is a highway kind of thing

here in Silicon alley we can use any lane, but the far left lane is 'reserved' for faster traffic. That unwritten rule thingy, says if you see me coming up behind you at 80 mile an hour, yield the lane.

Sure, mario andretti is breaking the law, sure you can legally travel the far left lane at slower speeds, but the logic goes; not yielding to faster traffic makes the speedster change lanes at high speed into slower lanes, thereby increasing the odds of an accident.

Just get out of their way and let them sail on by. They have a date with destiny somewhere else.

In the case of emergency vehicles you should display your signal and pull over as far right as possible to give them a clear path. Thats the law.

Thats what irks so many people, people that tool along at or below the speed limit in the far left lane, when they don't have to.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Thats south carolina law, on Highways...

from your link...

This chapter may be cited as the "Uniform Act Regulating Traffic on Highways."

On city street and Freeways here in Ca its a little different.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lurker1
Want to feed your frustration? Watch a few of the Russian driving videos on YouTube. They do incredibly stupid things.

Check out liveleak. It is nothing but eastern Europeans killing themselves driving stupidly. Everyone has cameras in their cars too I think because insurance fraud is so common too.

Even though I complain about aggressive driving here in the US, at least we have some common rules on the road. Over there people just seem not to care at all driving into oncoming traffic and all kinds of other reckless behaviors.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

It's not that they teach it, a lot of people pass it just to get their DL. Then they forget the information as if it was another standard school test.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Never visit the state of Maryland then. That is literally how EVERYONE drives there. Though everyone also drives about ten miles over the speed limit too. If you aren't in a hurry while driving in Maryland than you are pissing off the people behind you.

Also, ever see someone use a high way exit/entrance ramp to pass someone in the right lane? I see that a lot too.

The best way to deal with traffic is to go with the flow. So if everyone is going an average of 10 above, so do you. If the cops set a speed trap, they are looking for the nails that stick out.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Well, the next step was getting out of the car. I'm not getting a speeding ticket because someone behind me didn't leave the house on time. I was in the right lane at the time, btw. He chose to act like an ass instead of going around, so I showed my ass. If the situation were to escalate, I can handle that too. And I'm definitely not scared of the police.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I hate when people in a hurry tailgate me, all while there are 1-2 more OPEN lanes for them to just pass me.

That one is a huge pet peeve of mine too.

What I always do is lightly tap on my brakes to scare the living bejesus out of them.

And if that doesn't work ?

I slow right down to a granny snail crawl to force them to change lanes and pass me... while they're cussing up a storm and flipping the bird at me whizzing past. I just smile and wave, secretly hoping to see them in the ditch 5 minutes later.

Want to play "arsehole" on the highway ?

I know how to be an even bigger one.... and I come by it naturally too.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin
Good rant. We hear you.

Anyone ever wonder why traffic doesn't do what we want it too?

Why is he replying to his own post Pa?
Because he's a sad and lonely man son. Ha-ha: just kidding kiddo.
Probably because no one responded, and folks are more interested in their own complaints, than discussing alternate approaches.

What do you mean: alternate approaches?
Changing your mindset, and or trip-factors, to change the experience.
Like how what where who when why?

Well: on your next drive, plan to leave 25% earlier. Ex: if you trip typically takes 20 minutes, add 25% which is 5 minutes, so you would leave 25 minutes before you planned of arriving, instead of the usual 20.
So instead of being in the mindset of being stuck behind Slowpoke-Joe Pickalane, you are now naturally ahead of Slowpoke-Joe Pickalane.
Are you gonna be in a good mood, and enjoy your cruise, or be stressed-out, and get yourself stuck behind Larry-Leftlaner?

Just doing that just once: has the potential to change your entire experience.
You will realize that you are stressing yourself out, and the key to rising-above the unpredictability of the road, school-buses, garbage-trucks, construction, arsehole drivers, traffic, whatever, is just taking extra time, so that none of these exterior conditions, can affect your inner peace.

For one day: just try driving naturally with the flow of the traffic, not having to pass everyone. Follow a big-rig in the middle lane, and just relax.

You have the key to your own happiness my son. Why not try?

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Nope...our lights and sirens can be seen/heard for a 1/4 mile or greater. I get up on them...they still dont move.

PS Dearborn MI-high Middle Eastern pop. Many cant read, dont know or understand the laws and ways of the road. Red lights, stop signs, no turns, speed limits, right of way? Nope. I could write a book

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Nope...our lights and sirens can be seen/heard for a 1/4 mile or greater. I get up on them...they still dont move.

PS Dearborn MI-high Middle Eastern pop. Many cant read, dont know or understand the laws and ways of the road. Red lights, stop signs, no turns, speed limits, right of way? Nope. I could write a book

What I meant is traffic is 'supposed' to yield to the right for you en route to a call.

I agree, what frustration. But you're an "Emergency' responder, you keep your cool thru it all.

Silicon Valley Ca, here. I totally agree with what you said about traffic laws. Signals , stopping, merging, right or way.

they should invent an app where drivers can enter 'violations' for other drivers in a database. Multiple offenders would get a lot of calls built up, like points.

One day, ticket is issued based on high incidences of the same offense. If someone is seen by other random drivers to be texting a hundred times... 359 dollar fine in the mail.

I would honk my horn behind that.

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

What I meant is traffic is 'supposed' to yield to the right for you en route to a call.

I agree, what frustration. But you're an "Emergency' responder, you keep your cool thru it all.

Silicon Valley Ca, here. I totally agree with what you said about traffic laws. Signals , stopping, merging, right or way.

they should invent an app where drivers can enter 'violations' for other drivers in a database. Multiple offenders would get a lot of calls built up, like points.

One day, ticket is issued based on high incidences of the same offense. If someone is seen by other random drivers to be texting a hundred times... 359 dollar fine in the mail.

I would honk my horn behind that.

Agree 110% with you Intrptr! The honking part? Here they honk IF you stop at a sign, pedestrian, no turn on red etc. Our "diverse-nationalities" in this city dont understand the concepts in our country where we were trained ..as they learned to drive elsewhere.

Driving in the ER vehicles...I actually have to be careful to NOT stop at STOP signs, or yielding to a pedestrian...because the person behind us may rear end us for doing so, honking their horns the whole time. Its bad here...real bad.

As to being calm? I am mellow most always...I driv.e, I respond, I go from point A to point B...thats the nature of my job...hey Int'? Have a great Sunday!

MS

posted on Nov, 19 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Our "diverse-nationalities" in this city don't understand the concepts in our country where we were trained ..as they learned to drive elsewhere.

Damn foreigners, is what my Dad used to say.

I always try to get a look as I pass someone that just pulled a stupid, sure enough.

I think that a lot of people are brought in to this country on temporary visas, bring their families too. Not like they plan on staying or assimilating to this culture. After all they are here, 'temporarily'.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join