It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airliners And F-15s Involved In Bizarre Encounter With Mystery Aircraft Over Oregon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So both the FAA and NORAD are now confirming that there was indeed a mystery aircraft sighted over the Oregon and California border on October 25, 2017. Civilian airlines were able to visiualy track the aircraft which was not transmitting ADS-b nor TCAS but rather was being tracked by Oakland Center with their primary radar (which was intermittent) at FL35-40. F-15 were scrambled from the 142 squadron, but it unclear why they did not intercept it.
ATC Chatter:
archive-server.liveatc.net...

Speculation that it was a drug flight IMHO is nonsense. Drug dealers are criminals but not stupid. To fly that high in controlled space would be stupid. Also, it was faster than the 737 that were near it.

Were the F-15 told to RTB as it was a drone or other shadowy airframe. But it was not stealth and it was flying in the the day time.

Perhaps a drone got away and they are trying to keep it quiet?
www.thedrive.com...
edit on 11/15/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Wonder if it was the unmanned demonstrator from Lockheed and the F15s were just told not to bother intercepting it? Good catch btw mate
edit on 15-11-2017 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510

Wonder if it was the unmanned demonstrator from Lockheed and the F15s were just told not to bother intercepting it? Good catch btw mate

Possibly, but in the day time, and flying over a heavily trafficked aviation corridor?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Maybe it took off in the dark and was refuelled at times to keep it up? Maybe the B21 proof of concept as well I'm 98% positive that's what I saw flying over my house.
edit on 15-11-2017 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Did it display any novelistic maneuvers?

Edit: According to traffic, they have a visual, unable to say type, same altitude, etc.

But no forthcoming descriptions...?
edit on 15-11-2017 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510

Maybe it took off in the dark and was refuelled at times to keep it up? Maybe the B21 proof of concept as well I'm 98% positive that's what I saw flying over my house.

It could be but Oakland Center was able to get a primary skin paint on the airframe which even with reflectors on would be a stretch as its not really a military search radar and they really are dependent on transponders for proper ATC. This occurred right in the fringe of both Oakland and Seattle centers zones.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Not from what I can tell from the ATC dialog etc. It just kind of flew relatively straight without wild maneuvers. It was also flying faster than a 737 which cruises at 450 knots

it was far off. I can tell you having been up in the air alot, It is difficult to make out a ton of details unless the aircraft is close. Then again I don't have fighter pilot eyesight either. Plus you factor in sun angles etc. and it can get difficult.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Anyway to find out if any tankers were in the area and what kind?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I'm with you that it wasn't a drug flight easiest way to get caught or shot down. Must have been something classified surely for the F15s to get turned away. If it was a drone that had gone out of control would the F15s not shadow and if need be down it over a safe area?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

If it was a transiting stealth platform, it could have been using a Luneberg lens to reflect enough radar signature to be tracked at short ranges and would explain why it was intermittently tracked on radar depending on it's orientation to the tracking radar. Also it appears have been conventionally powered since the local air traffic could visually track it at longer range, presumably from it's contrail maybe, but not be close enough to identify the aircraft type.
edit on 15-11-2017 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

Not from what I can tell from the ATC dialog etc. It just kind of flew relatively straight without wild maneuvers. It was also flying faster than a 737 which cruises at 450 knots

it was far off. I can tell you having been up in the air alot, It is difficult to make out a ton of details unless the aircraft is close. Then again I don't have fighter pilot eyesight either. Plus you factor in sun angles etc. and it can get difficult.

Straight and level, check. Faster than airliners (not saying much), check. Unable to make out aircraft type, check.

But no unusual characteristics. Pilots would know. And it was known to radar on the ground.

The conclusion, it has to be man made.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The F-15's couldn't find the aircraft in question is what this statement is saying. Not called off for nefarious reasons...

**Update 0500z. Called SEA ARTCC. The gentleman I spoke with said that they initially got alerted to the aircraft from Oakland Center who was painting it on primary [illuminating it with radar, but without transponder information]. For whatever reason they couldn't track it themselves on primary, and that's when I overheard them using airline aircraft to track it visually. The last airplane to see it had to descend into Portland and lost sight of it. The fighters were scrambled out of PDX but flew around for a while and did not find it. And that's that."

The fighters were scrambled out of PDX but flew around for a while and did not find it. And that's that.

Every now and then I will find a drone on Flightradar24 and ADS-B Exchange...
I wish I could figure out how to go back to that time and date to see if it was there.

edit on 15-11-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
The F-15's couldn't find the aircraft in question is what this statement is saying. Not called off for nefarious reasons...

Im not buying it at all. The F-15 could have scooted across Oregon in no time. and since they are tasked WITH continental defense they could not find a non stealthy aircraft flying at FL35-40 that was being tacked visually?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

But no unusual characteristics. Pilots would know. And it was known to radar on the ground.

The conclusion, it has to be man made.

Totally. There is ZERO evidence that its anything but a wayward military bird

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Military or demonstration bird that found out he was drawing too much attention and retracted any radar reflector, changed altitude to out side contrail height and effectively disappeared to all concerned.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Im not buying it at all. The F-15 could have scooted across Oregon in no time. and since they are tasked WITH continental defense they could not find a non stealthy aircraft flying at FL35-40 that was being tacked visually?

Are you thinking the communications were being listened to and when they realised the F15s were heading towards they were told to stand down?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Military or demonstration bird that found out he was drawing too much attention and retracted any radar reflector, changed altitude to out side contrail height and effectively disappeared to all concerned.

Logical, but wouldn't they be monitoring ATC Freq's and do that sooner? And during the day? Ferry flight to Boeing? But again, why during the day and over heavily trafficked airspace?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

It would not have showed on FlightRadar or ADS-B exchange because they were not sending out a transponder signal

link   

I thought of that after I posted..
The F-15's should have kept up no problem if found. But were they able to get a visual is the question.

Does anyone have Flightradar24 and is able to go back to that time, date and location and look for the anomaly?

Like i said above..
I've been able to track drones on Flightradar24 and ADS-B Exchange. Bigger question... last seen headed north. Where would it have ended up?

Edit: you answered my question 😊

edit on 15-11-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

link   
Cool find. This is the kind of stuff that brought me to ATS in the first place. Not just wild speculation and rumors but something concrete. In my non-expert opinion I'd also have a hard time believing a drug flight would be flying that high and fast. I'd accept it's simply some kind of military aircraft.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join