It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Gun Law in Wisconsin

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Hehe some people just wont get it, I have sat on a rock watching a snow storm come across a valley at me... beautiful in retrospect but at the time I was just going F$#@.

I have been woken up in the middle of the night unzipped the tent and a fricking herd of elk were ambling through our camp.

I have been hunting elk and heard a noise behind me turned around to see a wolf giving me the stink eye (assuming it was the omega sent to be the sacrifice while the pack moved on) we just stared at each other for a few minutes before he turned and ran off.

I just laugh when people try to talk up the benefits of the big city, Ill take sitting on a rock watching the milky way and shooting stars 100 days out of 10 over sitting in a city.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I've been hunting since I was 5. Learned from my father, and my uncles. ...and nary an accident was had. Why? Because I was with responsible adults who watched every move I made. Got my first deer when I was ten. A big ol' (to me, anyway) 5 point buck. Shot it with that single shot .30-30, I mentioned above.

Odds are, if anything happens, some herein will trumpet it loud and long, as if it were some vindication of their POV. Meanwhile ignoring, as inconsequential, the thousands of others to whom nothing bad happened.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I think one of the most important aspects of gun safety is being brought up with proper education and experience. When this is done at a younger age, it becomes much, much more deeply embedded and habitual.

There is a bit of an unspoken "standard" on the progression of this as well. Start with education and talks, move to some .22 variant, and then beyond. This is a bit of a standard for a reason, and deviating much (like the posted video) is a dangerous disservice to everyone involved.

I think far too many are also completely insulated from reality by modern culture. The convenience isn't an issue at all, until it starts to remove people from the reality of where food comes from.

I'm also a big fan of the idea of supplemental experience through school classes.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Or on a cliff up above a river full of spring runoff... Or later in the year, watching salmon work their way up river to finish their life cycle...

So many things that they'll never experience, and even sadder, never realize what they're missing.

I've never encountered a wolf...I envy you. I once saw a wolf of the sea, though, take a sea lion.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Isn't it ridiculous what gets regulated and what doesn't.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
I think its a brilliant idea. allow someone you wouldn't trust to cross a busy intersection by themselves to be able to purchase a rifle. i can't wait for hunting season in a few months to hear 0 of the tragic news that will come of this.
it's about time we came to our senses.
i foresee nothing ever going wrong stemming from this new law.

i say lower it to 5 years old . its their constitutional rights.

1. Nowhere in this does it subvert federal law and allow children to purchase firearms. Did you even bother to read the articles several posted before making that assessment?
2. This is allowing directly supervised hunting with licensed adults... in other words, it's allowing a child to cross a busy intersection with a responsible adult. Y'know, something we do as part of growing up and learning how to one day cross that intersection unassisted?
3.It's about time we come to Jesus on reading comprehension deficiencies and how they relate to hyperbole... this is for a 9 day deer season beginning this weekend, not "in a few months."
4.I seem to detect a bit of "hope someone effs up!" in your post. If true, then that's a pretty damn sad statement as to your position on this. I hope the kids involved have a safe, fun, and productive hunt. It's really special to be a young kid and provide food for your family's table. Having been there, it's a feeling of accomplishment, responsibility, and pride that you keep in your heart forever.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Amen .30-06

It is a rite of passage for some, marking the entry into manhood (or womanhood in the case of my girls). The first time you put food on the table for your family is special, and gives you a wondrous sense of responsibility when you can provide for others.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jacquesdarippa

Firearms are quite regulated in the United States. Especially the select fire assault rifles everyone likes to talk about.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I think one of the biggest issues of anti-firearm folks is the immense galactic-sized ignorance, false equivalencies, fear projection, schadenfreude, etc.

Hard to take seriously when someone refuses to dispel their ignorance in favor of perpetuating bias. Hell, that goes for any topic.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: soberbacchus

Not sure what you're attempting to prove here...but continue on.

That laws apply to everyone, not just you and yours or the qualified.

The previous law allowed for kids as young as 10 to go hunting with an adult mentor, but not carry their own gun.

The new law affords kids of ANY age to go hunting and also lets them carry their own gun.

I live near Wisconsin. Opening day of Deer season in WI is not a romantic outing. It is an all out event and crowded woods with Drunk pseudo amateurs. I have seen Deer lashed to the roofs of VW Bugs. I have also had a bullet crack my windshield while driving down a wooded highway.

Lot's of great stories here about youth hunting and I was young when my father taught me to shoot as well, but he wasn't drunk and he didn't give me my own gun to play with while tramping through crowded woods.

Not everyone is safe and removing any age restriction and allowing kids to carry their own guns in the woods is unnecessary.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus
I have seen Deer lashed to the roofs of VW Bugs.

Uh, that's called a successful deer hunt.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I have seen Deer lashed to the roofs of VW Bugs.

Uh, that's called a successful deer hunt.

That's called drunken college kids from the Univ. of Wisconsin that have no business in the woods.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think this is the first time I have ever seen a thread get to 3 pages and the OP has no stars or flags.

I'm not surprised given the quality of the thread, but it is still strangely impressive.

It kind of speaks to the integrity of the star system in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

Agreed

I think the star/flag system is one of the most effective member-driven rating systems out there.

Kudos ATS

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

edit on 15-11-2017 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

I know the hunters have extra deer tags and often time they give the extra meat to the food banks after its processed. The processors also don't charge to do this. I also know hunters don't just let their kids run around in the woods with a gun. That would be stupid. Having the kid hunt however is a good way to get extra tags.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Lot's of great stories here about youth hunting and I was young when my father taught me to shoot as well, but he wasn't drunk and he didn't give me my own gun to play with while tramping through crowded woods.

Nor is any hunter I know drunk. Not a one. Why, you ask? Because beer and firearms do not mix. Ever.

Do you honestly think any responsible parent is going to, in your words, give a child a gun to "play with while tramping through any woods, much less crowded? The operative word there, in you entire screed, is responsible.

Do you honestly think any five year old, and I'm guessing that there won't be a lot of them, even in Wisconsin, who has a rifle is going to be alone without a parent, or at the very least, a much older sibling being present? Not just present, but joined at the proverbial hip with that child.

My Dad, and his brothers, my mother, and her brothers never allowed us to go off with out guns to play in the woods. Guns weren't for play. When we were at the range, or hunting, it was serious business--we had fun, yes, but it was never play. Ever.

As for a deer on the roof of a VW bug? I, and a friend, used his Pinto for his deer. I got skunked, or there'd have been two on that Pinto. You use what you got.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Not sure what you're attempting to prove here...but continue on.

That laws apply to everyone, not just you and yours or the qualified.

The previous law allowed for kids as young as 10 to go hunting with an adult mentor, but not carry their own gun.

The new law affords kids of ANY age to go hunting and also lets them carry their own gun.

I live near Wisconsin. Opening day of Deer season in WI is not a romantic outing. It is an all out event and crowded woods with Drunk pseudo amateurs. I have seen Deer lashed to the roofs of VW Bugs. I have also had a bullet crack my windshield while driving down a wooded highway.

Not everyone is safe and removing any age restriction and allowing kids to carry their own guns in the woods is unnecessary.

So much silliness in this post.

🙄

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
ZeroFurrbone, if you don't want to hunt, at least go to a shooting range. After that, I think a lot of your misconceptions about guns will go out the window.

As someone who didn't grow up around guns and hunting, had really no idea about them until I was in my mid 20s and decided to get one for home defense and started doing a lot of my own research, this is great advice to people who are uninformed or uncomfortable about/around guns. Much of what you think you know, information you've gathered subconsciously throughout your life from the media, books, movies etc, is wrong. When you get out there and discover things for yourself, you'll find you have a lot of misconceptions about guns and gun owners. And the more you learn the less scary they get. In the last year or two I've been teaching my parents more about them, and they've had the same experience. Lots of cleared up misconceptions and misinformation, less fear. They still don't want to own one but they're no longer skittish about me owning one, and are even open to me taking them to the range sometime.

To all the anti-gun folks whose sole knowledge comes from movies and the Everytown Weekly, I encourage you to heed SocratesJohnson's advice.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I have also had a bullet crack my windshield while driving down a wooded highway.

Someone threw a bullet at your windshield?
edit on 15 11 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join