It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Approves New Digital Sensor To Ensure "Patients With Mental Health Issues" Take Their Meds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Well, the idea of mental wards is going to be a tough sell.

Big pharma is making a killing on their head-meds, which aren't helping.

I still think our crappy food is to blame.

CalTech article

Big pharma wouldn't do so well, imo, if we all ate proper food(s) instead of the pseudo-science fake processed crap.

It wouldn't solve the entire mental health issue, but it would go a long way in helping.

Either way, back to the OP.

Tracking med intake isn't going to make things better either.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Lol,

"Medication time"

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This would probably be useful in those situations where there is little to no family support of the mentally ill person. People living alone that may be prone to violence or self-harm could benefit from something like this.

In my case, it's pretty clear when I've missed my meds; and the family takes notice. But, I'm open to taking them voluntarily when it becomes apparent that I've missed them.

On the other hand, I have an aunt that also takes head-meds (I like that term, never heard it before today) and she does forget to take them from time to time; as well as her diabetes meds. She lives alone, and no one notices until a family goes for a visit.

There have been several cases in the news where people have come off their meds and become violent enough that it's necessary for the police to take lethal action against them.

And for what it's worth, SSRIs, mood stabilizers and the like do take a toll on your memory and cognitive abilities over time.

-dex

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Cygnis

FDA approval is about public safety, "kind of a joke there".

They don't make morality judgements yet..

PUBLiC safely, not individual safely. There is a big difference.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Here's a few possible simple solutions using an App to remind/monitor pill taking.
www.healthline.com...

This is all you need, you don't need this nanny-state approach by adding more laws and penalties.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere

Here's a few possible simple solutions using an App to remind/monitor pill taking.
www.healthline.com...

This is all you need, you don't need this nanny-state approach by adding more laws and penalties.

I suspect the real focus isn't on the people who "forget", it's on the people who decide to stop. For some people, that medication is the only thing keeping them well and safe enough to live in the community instead of being locked up somewhere.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
So why wont a simple alarm call work? A text is sent automatically to remind you or its just as simple to set an alarm yourself to go off daily.

Those who dont want to take meds at all when they are supposed to, they are the ones who should have this new pill you're talking about. Leave the rest of us alone.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
We have a similar program in Canada. I know someone who has to go to the clinic and get their shot, once a week I believe. If they don't show up, the cops are called immediately. I'm hoping the guy who beheaded someone on a Greyhound bus is in this program, because they are out of treatment.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: gernblan

originally posted by: Bluntone22

FDA approval is about public safety, "kind of a joke there".

They don't make morality judgements yet..

PUBLiC safely, not individual safely. There is a big difference.

Oh... public safety. I see.

Isn't the public made up of a bunch of individuals?

Maybe we should start medicating those who have no common sense, too. I mean, that'd be in the interest of public safety as well.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

www.healthline.com...

Indeed, however, whenever has something benign ever been left alone by the government?

I can imagine people writing up laws already for this, just waiting for a chance to slip it into an upcoming bill.

The cat is out of the bag, the digital-pill has been made that reports its consumption to a phone app via stomach transmitter. Who knows whos watching the app data, either.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Sounds like bad news to me. Who monitors such thing? If it's a family member, and all voluntary, that would be one thing, but we can bet that won't be the case. Very intrusive.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

The article I read yesterday touted the ability of family, the patient and the prescribing physician to monitor when the person takes their medication. I'd prefer not to have my meds in an easily accessible database that can be hacked, accessed by doctors office staff or anyone else that could violate HIPPA. But that's me. I can see the benefit for some individuals, but see far more negatives.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

www.healthline.com...

Thank you so much I will try this!

-Alee

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Glad the link was useful!

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

The article I read yesterday touted the ability of family, the patient and the prescribing physician to monitor when the person takes their medication. I'd prefer not to have my meds in an easily accessible database that can be hacked, accessed by doctors office staff or anyone else that could violate HIPPA. But that's me. I can see the benefit for some individuals, but see far more negatives.

Same here. If it's in a chip, and inside the person, it can be hacked, and changes to who is allowed access could also open the door to abuses. As with so many things, they will push the potential benefits, and downplay the many negatives, to get people to accept this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join