It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have an idea slash thought on time or space time and gravity... require opinions please

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

yes, but that's cool that you came to an intuitive visualization of GR.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Chances are if our universe is simulated.

Then it's a simulation of a simulation, of a simulation. You get the drift im sure.

The universe may just not be the special, none the less our ability to comprehend anything that happened before the singularity that apparently spawned reality will always seemingly be beyond or ability to measure hence comprehend or address in any kind of meaningful manner.

edit on 15-11-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Chances are if our universe is simulated.

Then it's a simulation of a simulation, of a simulation. You get the drift im sure.

The universe may just not be the special, none the less our ability to comprehend anything that happened before the singularity that apparently spawned reality will always seemingly be beyond or ability to measure hence comprehend or address in any kind of meaningful manner.

Yeah...And to play along for a moment with my post about the need for the "Prime" computer to be of infinite power in order to be able to run what may end up being infinitely nested simulated universes, I have an idea how the original programmer could work around that possible problem...

He could write the code in such a way that at the point where his first simulated universe achieves the ability to have a computer powerful enough to run their simulated universe and a computer program advanced enough to do so, the original programmer could add a "GOTO" statement in the code to "GO TO" the beginning of his simulated universe.

So the code for simulated universe would only need to be written once, and the computer would only go through that code once at a time, not an infinite number of times concurrently. It may end up being an infinite loop, but it would require only a finite amount of computing power.

...Of course, that would mean that as soon as the simulated universe hits the "run" button on their own simulation, their simulated universe would end and reset itself back to the beginning.

edit on 15/11/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Our modern-day video codecs function effectively because they only really responded to change in an image thus do not have to compute the additional data that remains the same in the next frame.

If some universal force or underlying code that governs reality exists and also followed similar logic or other self-governing principles then the amount of data required to be processed could be kept to a minimal.

"Of course, that would mean that as soon as the simulated universe hits the "run" button on their own simulation their simulated universe would end and reset itself back to the beginning."

From our very limited understanding of space-time that would indeed seem to be the case unless of course, their simulated reality does not function in a linear manner. Perspective being the definitive factor i imagine, and ours is so very, very, limited.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Um... you have not read very carefully, if you think genius starts at 200 IQ points. Its actually much lower than that.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Has humanity even recorded a 200+ IQ level before?

I thought the maximum to date was around 180-190.

Not suggesting its even the most accurate of measure of intellect, just wondering if we have broached the 200 mark.

Edit: never mind Google done the work "The Guinness Book of World Records as the person possessing the highest IQ, with a reported score of 228."

Not many of them about all the same.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Maybe the original programmer hasn't run out of memory yet? Maybe we're just the 3rd or 4th simulation in the chain?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I don't know if you can do that. That would be a programmer creating his own existence all over again.

Bare with me... I've not done this in many years:

10 PRINT "Let there be simulation"
20 PRINT "Let there be simulation"
30 GOTO 20

You're just redoing the same simulation. It exists then doesn't to exist again. Kinda like redoing time.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

The problem here is that if there is an underlying code to reality then it does not necessarily follow that it would also utilize the same Boolean algebra logic that defines our own programming skills or even follow a linear progression.

Fact of the matter is that we as a species may never have the mental capacity or tools at our disposal to understand the rhyme and reason that underpins and/or shapes reality, if there is one that is.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The issue of a black hole is whether or not the mass it contains is capable of becoming infinite.

At issue would be whether or not what we generally define as infinite could actually be finite.

Would any of you be interested in an online chess game with me?

edit on 15-11-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Think Hawking showed that quantum effects allow black holes to emit energy/radiation down to some kind of quantum effect near the event horizon.

Hawking radiation reduces the mass and energy of a black hole and because of this black holes do not gain mass through other means and are expected to shrink and ultimately vanish.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Hawkins radiations present theoretically that, black holes experience decay which could very well offer that they are finite.
edit on 15-11-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Well it's all theoretical really until we can find a black hole, or at least its event horizon, that we can actually send some form of probe into and measure. Might be a tad difficult to retrieve any data once it actually enters into said horizon all the same. And that's a long, long way off in our far future, which quite possibly will never even happen.

Everything is finite, reality, the universe and everything in it, the higher the entropy the greater the disorder.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

SEATTLE —The giant black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy recently spit out the largest X-ray flare ever seen in that region, astronomers say.

The enormous eruption from the Milky Way's core was detected on Sept. 14, 2013, very close to the supermassive black hole known as Sagittarius A*. Pronounced "Sagittarius A star" and abbreviated as Sgr A*, the Milky Way's monster black hole has a mass that is about 4.5 million times that of the sun. Scientists unveiled the discovery of the record-breaking flare this month at the 225th meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

The so-called "megaflare" flare was spotted by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, which can peer through dust and starlight to the center of the Milky Way. The event was 400 times brighter than the normal level of radiation from this region and nearly three times brighter than the previous record-holding flare, recorded in 2012

www.space.com...

The Hubble telescope is known to be able to observe objects and events occurring 13.2 billion light-years away.

So in all sincerity WTF is your problem?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I don't think i have a problem per say with your assessment, but an observation from such distance, and over such extended periods of time down to said distance and the nature in which light travels through space-time kind of make observation by the likes of Hubble somewhat problematic regarding the study of event horizons.

Nevermind the fact that shes rather old and even obsolete in some areas, superseded by even our ground-based installations.

If we wish to study the properties of singularities, it's obviously better to build a custom piece of equipment designed for the job at hand given the very nature of the beast in question, and/or unknown factors pertaining to such.

Hubble simply is not up to the task down to the fact that science, technology, and even theoretical ideologies have somewhat moved on since her launch.

It's just a discussion.

I'm simply pointing out the shortcomings of our perspective regarding Blackholes, not even debating there possible finite nature.

So in all sincerity WTF is your problem?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy is approximately 1 million times larger than Sol, which generally would place to be about 1 light year wide.

What is really incredible is this object despite is size is integral to how the Milky Way Galaxy functions and this because of its density.

Generally speaking, actually the Milky Way Galaxy is about 100,000 light years wide.

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Space-time apparently can exceed or expand faster than light speed under certain conditions, my thought would be that conundrum somehow accounts for our galaxies continued existence.

Then there is our distinct lack of understanding pertaining to dark matter and energy which comprises the other 95-96% of our universe. My thinking would be that stuff might have something to do with how our Milky Way Galaxy, and the rest of them of which as you know there are many, function.

You do realize that all those stars that surround the alleged black hole at the center of our galaxy again make observation of whats at the center somewhat problematic?

Fact of the "matter" is that we simply don't have the tools at our disposal as of yet to even really ponder the true nature and/or size of our universe.

I like your Hypercube avatar by the way.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Actually, do you realize that you have no idea what you are talking about in relation to understanding the black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 15-11-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

We also now know that supermassive black holes are inexorably linked to the galaxies that encircle them.

www.cosmotography.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join