It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX and Blue Origin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
:First I would like to ask the mods to move this if I put this in the wrong form.: Now let's get to it. I love SpaceX and Blue Origin, that being said I really don't understand why some news agencies and political figures are out to get them for being a monopoly. Mostly the blast is going towards SpaceX. I just don't understand why this would be going on. Is it so hard to get behind reusable rockets and cheaper space flight. Was this not the whole idea of space flight? Now I know that Blue Origin has not under fire but give it time and the two company's will be lumped into the same argument. If Boeing and others are so worried about the commercial side of space flight they should come up with a viable program to challenge this. Venturing into space should be one of our biggest aims. We can survey the mostly unexplored ocean and discover new technology's through development of such programs that could possibly be used to help poverty sticker country's and the U.S.A. Is no exception from this. Maybe I am missing something so that is why I made this thread. Help me and the rest of us understand ATS. What say you!!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I haven't seen anyone going after them for being a monopoly - from what I know they are trying to break that.

Got any links?

(p.s. SpaceX put in a bunch of their own money, and had a ton of (costly) failures.)

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
According to my contacts at the NRO, Space X and Blue Origin are planing appropriately 70 lunches from the Cape in the next year.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Fox

Thefederlist

Thehill

Forbes

Just to name a few. There have been a few sites attacking SpaceX but I for the life of me can't remember where I read them.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966 I think it is very admirable to put ones own funds to develop a rocket and end up making it work amazingly. They did get some funding from the government to develop some aspect of the rockets. But even if they didn't get that extra funding they would most likely go forward with the project. And Musk views through failure comes success. Makes sense to me.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: TommyD1966 I think it is very admirable to put ones own funds to develop a rocket and end up making it work amazingly. They did get some funding from the government to develop some aspect of the rockets. But even if they didn't get that extra funding they would most likely go forward with the project. And Musk views through failure comes success. Makes sense to me.

Thanks for the links Allaroundyou.

I didn't realize they were getting any kind of exclusive. I mean, so far they have shown they deserve it, and should likely get some contracts, but they shouldn't be long term.

What the gov't needs (and we all do) is competition for space. Both to 1) bring prices down and 2) open it up to more players.

Thanks again.

(p.s. edited. I wonder how much of the complaining is coming from senators/congresscritters who have competitors in other states. This is a conspiracy site after all
)

edit on 11/14/2017 by TommyD1966 because: added PS

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966 I was going to look that up to try to pin point the accusers' but I am mobile. If I had to guess I imagine those that lobby for Boeing and ULA. I am not really sure who actually owns or is partners with ULA but that is where I would start looking.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

It's really simple spacex is not spending as much for lobbying as the existing defense contractors.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo Lol you know I think you may be right. I think the only lobbying be done by them is through performance.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

for me it has nothing to do with them being a monopoly and far more to do with us the tax payers funding the growth of a for profit, private company. as it is we paid for them to develop a car that we pay full cost for, paid for them to build an outdated battery factory, and paid for them to develop the entire spacex company. i think im missing one other fumble by them aswell, too much to keep track of. atleast give us tesla's at cost and make it up on the exports since we are the ones funding this whole stinking thing.
edit on 14-11-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale I can't recall ever reading about how tax payers funded Tesla. And the battery factory made hundreds of jobs and will help drive down the cost of a Tesla. Ans SpaceX was funded entirely by Elon Musk at the beginning. He has since then received grants from NASA and the DOD and the Airforce but only after they proved they can get the job done. Now I may be wrong about tax dollars going towards Tesla so if you could provide a link I will gladly read.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

a reply to: TheScale I can't recall ever reading about how tax payers funded Tesla. And the battery factory made hundreds of jobs and will help drive down the cost of a Tesla. Ans SpaceX was funded entirely by Elon Musk at the beginning. He has since then received grants from NASA and the DOD and the Airforce but only after they proved they can get the job done. Now I may be wrong about tax dollars going towards Tesla so if you could provide a link I will gladly read.

privately funded is interesting im curious just what peoples definition of it is these days. yes he privately funded the initial creation of the company for 100 million and built rocket that never met any of its reusability goals, the one thing they needed to demonstrate, then they got a massive increase in funding from the taxpayers in the billions that dwarfs that initial investment so they can profit. who cares if the battery plant created some jobs for people which btw was a bidding war using tax dollars to lure the company into an area. the costs savings are estimates and looking at tesla lately and its sales, the outlook isnt great. besides why should we the tax payers have our money spent on private for profit companies? this is the crux of my issue that has yet to be addressed. job creation etc isnt a good excuse cause if a company has a money making idea there are private banks and investors that will loan money, of course that comes with interest and a whole lot of other negatives that free govt subsidies dont come with.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Dude, they've got to clean up and hide what they've got going on up there before private civilians start nosing around.

So of course they're going to slag on SpaceX and others to stall them and slow them down. Same reason we haven't been to Mars.

I mean, you think the ISS is the *only* space station we have?

edit on 14-11-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale Links would help your point. And also the battery factory is not outdated. It is very much a up to date factory. But this thread is not about Tesla it is about SpaceX and Blue Origin. Both of which used there own money to continue their venture. SpaceX proved they can land a rocket for reuse with the Grasshopper project. BTW used zero tax payer dollars. In fact payed NASA for use of their facility's. I believe you are upset that SpaceX is now receiving grants for from the government to provide cheaper and more efficient orbit launches. I am sorry that others could not compete in this field. Maybe they should change the direction they are heading. And again links will help your argument.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu A very good point that I never thought of. Well done and now I will be glued to the screen to try and get to the bottom of this. Which will require some YouTube
and some reading up on crazy ideas. But chances are you are correct.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

a reply to: TheScale Links would help your point. And also the battery factory is not outdated. It is very much a up to date factory. But this thread is not about Tesla it is about SpaceX and Blue Origin. Both of which used there own money to continue their venture. SpaceX proved they can land a rocket for reuse with the Grasshopper project. BTW used zero tax payer dollars. In fact payed NASA for use of their facility's. I believe you are upset that SpaceX is now receiving grants for from the government to provide cheaper and more efficient orbit launches. I am sorry that others could not compete in this field. Maybe they should change the direction they are heading. And again links will help your argument.

lithium ion tech itself is outdated already. weve overcome the issues lithium metal batteries had and they are far safer and have double the energy storage capacity compared to lithium ions. i predict in the future youll hear plenty of reports of peoples power walls going up in flames just like we get reports with the cars. its not that they arent built to the required safety standards its the fact that the technology has inherent flaws. dendrite growth is something we havent figured out how to stop and when your talking arrays of batteries in the thousands all it takes is for one to have a catastrophic failure to cascade the entire array. if u want information on musk and his various companies u can always do a quick google search or check his wikipedia, just be careful with wiki, its not always accurate. it will take less then 5 mins to confirm the numbers and things ive stated and then youll know for yourself instead of hearing it second hand

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TheScale Yes I could do that. Earlier in the thread I was asked to provide links. I could have said do it yourself. I did not cause if I am to make a claim I will do my best to provide proof. I guess that is beyond you. So why don't you do your part to back up your claim and do the research. Who knows maybe I already have, at the very least you can do the same. And the tech behind his battery is not your usual lith ion battery. Maybe do the work and find out. Along while providing links instead of making claims without a basis to use to back them. Just sayin

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

a reply to: Kettu A very good point that I never thought of. Well done and now I will be glued to the screen to try and get to the bottom of this. Which will require some YouTube
and some reading up on crazy ideas. But chances are you are correct.

If you want a fun "rabbit hole" to go down, look up the Misty stealth satellites from the Cold War era. Proof that even way back they could put stuff up in orbit that was damn near impossible to spot. Cone-shaped balloon-like deals with the point aimed down to reduce the area seen from Earth.

Imagine what they have now with light-absorbing materials and radar scattering coatings.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

ok well i figured since they are such well known front page facts that take a matter of 30 seconds to research i figured it should be on you to atleast inform yourself first since if you were informed you wouldnt even question those facts. but here u go
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu Damn you.... Now I am going to be up all night. Well at least I took tomorrow off to prepare for a meeting at 4:30 pm and I have some beer so tonight will be fun

top topics

<<   2 >>

join