It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congratulations-you now have hypertension

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The American Heart Association just released new standards for high blood pressure, and according to them almost half of American adults have hypertension. Under the old standards, stage one hypertension was at 140/90. Under the new standards, it's 130/80, with elevated being 120-129/below 80.

Of course the AHA claims that doesn't mean that all those people don't need to be on medication, but this is going to have a serious effect on a lot of people, with many having no choice but to go on medication.

The new AHA guidelines for diagnosing hypertension are listed below.

Normal: Less than 120/80 mm Hg;
Elevated: Top number (systolic) between 120-129 and bottom number (diastolic) less than 80;
Stage 1: Systolic between 130-139 or diastolic between 80-89;
Stage 2: Systolic at least 140 or diastolic at least 90 mm Hg;
Hypertensive crisis: Top number over 180 and/or bottom number over 120, with patients needing prompt changes in medication if there are no other indications of problems, or immediate hospitalization if there are signs of organ damage.

www.wxyz.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

For Fuggles sake, when I was running half marathons I would have been listed as elevated, god only knows what it will be now a days.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
doh ... now I'm less healthy than when I went to bed

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yeah, I got HBP, well Hypertensive.

Cut the salt, change your diet to add more greens and drink more water.

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Solely a move to push more medication

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

You forgot avoiding the Trump and Gun threads.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Do you think that big pharma just made a big donation to someone?

Just another "fact" for people to state is the reason that America needs socialized medicine. Half of America has "high blood pressure" and they cannot afford the medicine that they want....

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What’s strange is that this is not new its old news

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I agree. Somehow this feels like a scam paid for by the insurance companies to jack up rates, because now more people will be considered "at risk."

Combined with a push by big pharma to medicate more people. Because "there is definitely something wrong with you."

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Reads

The American Heart Association

Closes thread.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Truck drivers have to have a physical every two years. Between the stress of our deliveries, the pressure put on us by the companies and brokers, and the food options on the road, exercise and healthy eating are a hell of a lot harder than for the average person. And having high blood pressure can and will disqualify you. This just hammered a lot of drivers. Both my other half and I just immediately jumped into stage one, even though we're both healthy otherwise. That means we can only get a one year certificate now.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

...And take your statins like I do. Otherwise,get browbeat by your doctors for not taking what is recommended.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Hawthorne supplements, standardized not just the berry, lowered my blood pressure and got me.off the dreaded lisinopril. That crap gave me muscle and back pain and shot my kidneys.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wulfrida
a reply to: Aliensun

Hawthorne supplements, standardized not just the berry, lowered my blood pressure and got me.off the dreaded lisinopril. That crap gave me muscle and back pain and shot my kidneys.

Oh? I was blaming my statins for the pains. That is why I stopped taking them about six times. Lisinopril? I'll check that out.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I thought 120/80 was always the normal for bp?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have tachychardia, the hereditary kind. I have low blood volume and I dump sodium into my urine without reuptaking it. My blood pressure usually is never below 140/90 unless I am laying down, the top bounces to 180 after coffee and drops down to 120 when I lay down.

This is unusual for most people, I cannot say what is good for me is good for them. I have had this all my life, so did my dad and uncle and even one daughter has it. It is all related, the hypovolemia, the hypoglycemia, the hyponatremia, and the tachychardia. I cannot find the original cause, not even in genetics. When the doctors tried to treat it it led to unwanted side effects. I just cannot eat a lot of green veggies or foods containing nitrates or nitrites. I also have to watch some of the B vitamins that are nitrogen based, I take them occasionally but not if I eat a lot of green.

The worse part is I love salads and green veggies, but the nitrogen in them causes my blood vessels to relax from the nitrous oxide that is produced then it lowers my circulation to my head. This problem also has ties to migrains, some chemistry expands the blood vessels in the brain and the pressure effects the nerves they press on. I take a multimineral every day containing mostly the microminerals and it seems to help. Two much sulfur food chemistry also bothers me, but that has different kinds of headaches than the nitrogen chemistry.

So, one size shoe does not fit all. Older people also experience hypovolemia and this can give them some dizzy spells. Women sometimes faint because of low blood volume also. They can lower blood volume to put people into induced comas too. That is used in medicine to knock people out and nitrous oxide can be dangerous to some people with low blood volume, instead of numbing pain it knocks them out.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

They lowered stage one. At my physical last year, my blood pressure was 130/82, which was considered slightly elevated. Now, I'm considered stage one hypertensive.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Arnie123

Truck drivers have to have a physical every two years. Between the stress of our deliveries, the pressure put on us by the companies and brokers, and the food options on the road, exercise and healthy eating are a hell of a lot harder than for the average person. And having high blood pressure can and will disqualify you. This just hammered a lot of drivers. Both my other half and I just immediately jumped into stage one, even though we're both healthy otherwise. That means we can only get a one year certificate now.

There are some problems with the interpretation of evidence that fuels that article. They are going to kill more people by pushing this than they help. At least we still have the right to refuse the treatment. I think that the medical association has found a cash cow. They want everyone on meds, meds that have side effects. Our blood pressure is meant to rise when we are bending our legs and arms, it jumps up to make sure there is circulation. If they start putting people on meds and the people are sitting too long, they could wind up with swelling in their legs and possible blood clots unless they take blood thinners which also have complications. Beta blockers narrow blood vessels and stabalize blood volume when low, but they can cause circulation problems sometimes. Alpha blockers dampen the heart from going faster during exercise, that is not good either. Water pills can lower volume by stimulating urination, coffee does a better job. They can lead to dehydration. Salt restriction can actually cause problems at the cellular level as cells need sodium and chloride in shuffling toxins from cells out of the body. If the cells get swollen, then when you eat something salty they dump their contents into the blood and raise blood pressure. A balance is needed with all electrolytes in the body.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You forgot avoiding the Trump and Gun threads.
Actually, those are things I like, so it soothes the soul

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

...And take your statins like I do. Otherwise,get browbeat by your doctors for not taking what is recommended.
Sometimes the recommendations seem a bit excessive, huh?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join