It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Commercial Kitchen Stove????

page: 1

log in


posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 05:51 AM
Has anyone installed a commercial stove in their home? Not a commercial 'style' stove, but an actual commercial restaurant grade stove.

I want to put a commercial stove in for our upcoming kitchen remodel project. The wife found some 'scare' articles (likely written by residential stove manufacturers) and now she's concerned.

A couple notes...I very much DO intend on venting the stove properly, with the required CFM for the stove BTU's, so we will have a proper hood system (with grease recovery and all the trimmings). I will probably stop short of putting an ANSUL system in because it's not going to be a commercial kitchen. But other than that it will go in with all the correct plumbing and HVAC.

Some of the reasons she's been given to scare her are:

- They will void your homeowners insurance (I seriously doubt this if everything is done to Code).
- They're a fire hazard (again, I doubt it if all done per Code which it will be).

Like to get your thoughts.
edit on 11/14/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 06:02 AM
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What would matter most to me is how cleanable is it?

I don't know the answers to your other questions, but the one I ask should be at the top of the list.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 06:12 AM
a reply to: loam

It's actually a good point! It is also one of the first things we looked into. That, and making sure the ovens are self-cleaning, because surprisingly many are not.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 06:20 AM
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I had one (it is has since been replaced). You need a make up air system to compensate for the high CFM blower you install otherwise you have a CO hazard. You may also have to change your gas line to allow higher flow for the larger burner. My older commercial one did up to 20,000, the new one, which is a resi model, does 24,000 so the gas lines which I upgraded work fine. You need enough flow to cover using the burners and ovens at the same time. Consult a plumber.

No issues with insurance, BTW.

edit on 14-11-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 06:21 AM
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I've made this mistake before.

You'd be surprised how something looks like it would be fairly easy to clean, only to prove otherwise.

Where are there seams, folds or angles?

Ovens are one thing, but stovetops are the real bitch.

How are the burners designed? The grates?

I really wish I could design my own.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 06:30 AM
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ahhh, makeup air. Hadn't thought of that one. Good point! I can swing that.

Yeah, already know I'm going to have to up-size the gas line, so I'm planning on that one. Gas line to the house is fine, but the line to the stove will have to be up-sized. And yes, it will all be done per Code with licensed (for gas) plumbers.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 06:54 AM
Do you live at sea level?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 07:02 AM
a reply to: Indigent

No, why?

I already know these stoves have to be calibrated for altitude if that's what you are getting at, so I'm prepared for that.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 07:07 AM
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yep, we dint knew and bought a fancy one that dint work were we live.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 07:39 AM
I'm an executive chef in Christchurch New Zealand. I have a convotherm installed in my kitchen at home. It set me back about $19,000 but it's amazing. They steam, bake, broil, roast, sous vide, air fry. It also self cleans. It does use tremendous power though! Obviously these need to be hooked up to water also. It has a usb port in the front that you can upload recipes etc. Alarm tones. Robot voice if you want ha. Has a retractable spray hose on the side in you want added moisture and a internal thermometer probe if you want to cook that way. Genius machines and I want the new one already!! Ha good luck. Mine also has to be chained to the wall. It is earthquake city though I guess!

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:25 AM
Hi im a Chef too got this for you hope it helps
1. Electrical & Gas Capabilities

Electrical and Gas Considerations
Both commercial ranges are available on the market. Ranges that are a combination of both are common and may include multiple oven types and cooktops.

The installation of both gas and electric ranges in a commercial setting very often require new gas and electric lines.

Electric commercial ranges are usually three phase electric. Commercial settings that are not already equipped with such electrical capabilities will require the installation of three phase electric.

Many commercial buildings are already fitted with the proper gas connections. Those that are not will require a more costly installation than residential gas connections. Commercial gas appliances typically cannot operate off of gas tanks due to the large amount of gas needed to run the appliances.

The proper orifices for commercial gas connections are usually available at home improvement retailers. Both gas and electric residential ranges are available on the market. Ranges that utilize both power types are harder to find and are generally more expensive.

Residences are most often pre-equipped to accommodate an electric range unless built specifically for gas appliances. Quite often little installation is required and can be done with the aid of an instruction manual.

Electric residential ranges are usually single phase electric and therefore typically require no major change to the wiring of the residence.

Gas residential ranges usually operate under or around 20,000 BTU's. This means that most homes manufactured to operate gas appliances need little to no adjustment.

The proper orifices for residential gas connections are readily available at most home improvement retailers.
Commercial ranges used as base units, are designed for your basic cooking needs. However, they can accommodate more than one oven type (i.e. one convection, one standard) and can support accessories such as griddles or broilers on the stove top. Ranges that are not built with the accessories attached can usually be modified to support accessories (i.e. detachable salamander).

Commercial ranges have a high output. Gas ranges can total 200k - 400k BTU's. This is used to mass produce food for large amounts of people at a continuous rate.

There are both heavy duty and standard restaurant ranges. Heavy duty ranges are designed to cater to larger amounts of people while standard ranges have a lower output and are more often used for applications such as broiling and simmering. Residential ranges are typically designed to accommodate most types of in-home cooking. Since in-home cooking usually does not cater to mass amounts of people, more features are available at lower outputs.
2. Cooking Environment

Commercial ranges require a high powered hood/ventilation system in order to maintain a safe cooking environment. The amount of grease laden particles produced is far higher when using a commercial range versus a residential range.

Only masonry and stainless steel furniture should be in the area of a commercial range. Any combustible material (such as wood cabinetry) is required to be at a minimum of 6" away from the range on all sides. It is highly recommended that in any commercial setting no combustible furniture exist in the kitchen. Residential ranges require a hood or ventilation system for grease laden particles. The ventilation or hood is generally low power.

Residential ranges can be positioned in most kitchen areas as long as the ventilation and flooring is adequate (i.e. not positioned on carpet).

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:53 AM
a reply to: dulcevida

Great info...thanks!

Pretty much what I am expecting. We'll be opting for gas ovens, though we do have adequate power (not 3 phase though).

I have looked at a couple with dual power (gas and electric). These wanted 35A of 220V, which we have at the stove now.

We already know we're going to have to size the gas service, so we're planning on that as well as the ventilation.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 08:58 AM

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I have looked at a couple with dual power (gas and electric). These wanted 35A of 220V, which we have at the stove now.

If you are not intending on doing actual real baking of cakes, etc, dual fuel is not really needed. I skipped on this aspect as gas baking/braising/broiling is better for meats.

edit on 14-11-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 10:52 AM
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You can check ahead of time if it voids your homeowner's policy. If it does, you can probably pay a little extra to have it included.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:50 PM
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

They will increase your insurance, due to increased risk. If you aren't going to ANSUL it, the risk goes up and your insurance adjusts with it.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:52 PM
I'd also advise towards annual hood cleanings. You won't do real volume, and won't need it monthly or anything. But the risk to your house if the hood goes is pretty extreme. Annual cleanings should be sufficient.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:50 AM
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Agreed, we will definitely be cleaning the hood and filters regularly.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 04:55 AM
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

We will be checking with the insurance company. We have great insurance, and a great agent (never thought I'd see myself type this). We already have several riders on it (livestock, heavy equipment, additional liability coverage, etc.) and it is amazingly cheap, comparatively speaking.

Bottom line, we'd be willing to pay a few extra bucks if that's what it takes.

top topics


log in