It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently, my great grandfather worked on the Manhattan Project

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
My grandfather died last weekend. A terrible blow. He was one of those guys that just seemed invincible. He made it out of Korea, but the cigarettes were what got him all of these years later.

We were going through his medals and old military paperwork and came across this. It was issued to his father, my great grandfather.

(I blacked his name out for privacy)

From what little research I've done, it seems like Stone & Webster were contracted to build what is now the Y-12 complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. That being said, I'm not exactly sure how common these certificates were, but it's definitely cool.
edit on 11-11-2017 by jaymp because: Typos

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jaymp

My step dad had a similar surprise. HE was on operation deep freeze III in Antarctica and this stuffed penguin was a thanks. He also died of the cancer sticks.

Then when going though his old pictures we came across 12 Antarctic pics here is one with him on an antenna.

He never said he had pictures but he mentioned that he did some work there and gave us a few stories. I wish I had these pictures while he was alive to tell me what I was looking at.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Sorry for your loss. What a neat part of your Family history to have found.

The Manhattan Project is sure a very interesting subject to look in to , I never knew it had anything to do with the atomic bomb though ? hmmm I will have to read more about that.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Oh my gosh, yes!! You must.

Here's a video of the first test.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well I can only say how thankful I am to your relatives service and what he provided to the United States. We salute him, and you as well!

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

A stuffed penguin?! That is quite the surprise. lol I'm not sure that makes up for being posted in Antarctica though. I'm sure it was beautiful and the work fascinating, but the bitter cold seems like a dealbreaker. He doesn't look very bundled up in that picture. Although, I'm fairly sure the climates vary across the continent.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I salute his service too, but I cant say that I'm proud of the atomic bomb. It's a fascinating subject, but only because of how destructive it is. The sad fact is that we'll never get rid of them now.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

He said it would be -20 below 0 and if there was no wind, it wans't bad. Add wind and it gets ugly fast.

It's a shame we don't know some of these things while these older guys are around. I would have loved to get a detailed description for his grand kids who are not cognitive of how rare it is to go to Antarctica. But sadly that time has passed.
But I do have 12 pictures and a stuffed penguin.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaymp

I salute his service too, but I cant say that I'm proud of the atomic bomb. It's a fascinating subject, but only because of how destructive it is. The sad fact is that we'll never get rid of them now.

I don't see them going away. In fact, the likelihood of a "rogue" state acquiring nuclear weapons is more likely.

That said, I also believe their deterrent value has saved literally millions of lives throughout the cold war, and into today.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Now, did you add the 'Great' moniker in the title based on achievement or because he was the father of your grandfather?

Also, I hope you find no ill feelings toward his works global ramifications. I'd say in most cases, workers were restricted from even knowing what it was that they were working on... until afterwards, when it was shown as proof of efforts.
edit on 11-11-2017 by ttobban because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
There is nothing more glorious, AND terrifying then the sight of a nuclear detonation. Being in possession of those weapons has made it possible for our society to have access to all that we have today. I got no problem with that and neither should you! Our side has to win, always no matter the cost. Otherwise we may as well to surrender to our rivals and watch them repeat the exact same things.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Well, that is true. No more attempts at global domination. Not overt ones, anyway.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I only got to know one of my Grandfathers. Both Greats died well before I was born.
But I've learned some about them.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Yes, but at what cost? The bombings of Japan claimed over 200,000 lives. Which was completely unnecessary as the Russians were already in Manchukuo, if I'm not mistaken. Had FDR been president at the end of the war, it wouldn't have happened. Not in my opinion.

And then there's the current instability in the world today. The tensions between India and Pakistan, and the tensions between the Chinese, North Koreans, and the United States. Nuclear was is indeed coming, and it will likely kill all of us in one form or another.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

It's always hard watching our heros go in life.
They really do seem invincible. At times we don't even notice them age, until one day we see them hurt. Then it hits.
Their no different then us.
But somehow, they always seemed so much larger than life.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

It would have cost a lot more, on both sides, had an invasion been required IMO.
We were in no position to delay precisely because of the Russians entry into the war on imperial Japan. We were already being forced to cede all of eastern Europe. We damn sure were not giving the emerging Soviet Union any say in the postwar Pacific region.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

A stuffed penguin?! That is quite the surprise.

Better than getting handed a real one, having to penguin proof the house would a pain in the bollocks, ramps where the stairs would be, always making you feel like a trap as they waddle around in their best dinner suit.. Etc Etc

RA
edit on 11-11-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
wew lad
you are lucky to have had an interesting grandpa

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

A stuffed penguin?! That is quite the surprise. lol I'm not sure that makes up for being posted in Antarctica though. I'm sure it was beautiful and the work fascinating, but the bitter cold seems like a dealbreaker. He doesn't look very bundled up in that picture. Although, I'm fairly sure the climates vary across the continent.

I bet that penguin is very collectable. I would try to get an estimated value from an expert. It isn't in ebay, must be rare.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Really? Did he mop the "yellow striped" floor, or the "red striped" floor? I got to eat pizza on the "blue striped floor". It was awsome and tasty!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join