It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You're a Fan of Someone that Turns out to be an Abuser.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My wife and I were both fans of Lewis C.K.

It was no trouble for us to say "This guy is a monster".

No quality of art is enough for me to compromise my morals.

I will walk away from anyone who thinks its ok to use their position of power to trap women and do disgusting things in front of them.

He is like a half step away from outright rape in that situation. No one should be forced to endure that kind crap just to try and get ahead in their chosen industry.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that no one has charged Spacey with child rape.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that no one has charged Spacey with child rape.

Or any of them. It's definitely on the weird side of WTF.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yeah, I'm having trouble with that, too.

WTF, people?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Maybe they feel that they have to be extra careful with their reputation. While the average non-celerity would be in the can before they could say "What?"

Or maybe they think that if they drag their feet long enough people will forget. Well people don't. I see that Terrance Howard is in a new series. He didn't come back for Ironman 2 because of wife beating allegations. Don't know where that went but I see him I think "wife beater". This is because the system protects itself with anonymity.. We've gotta start asking who the DA's are on these cases.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
IMO, what you already own was purchased in all innocence by you before you knew. I don't think it's wrong for you to enjoy something you paid for and own. It's not like you are continuing to add money to the accounts of someone you know is dirty. It's not like you are openly and directly supporting what that person did by enjoying stuff that has nothing directly to do with it.

And you aren't indirectly supporting it with your money, either.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I've had this same quandry myself. With Cosby in the past and specifically with Kevin Spacey today. I've always adored Spacey's work - it's masterful. I'm truly torn over his being recast in Ridley Scott's new film. He would/was be excellent as he was in all past roles.

I think it speaks to the public/private divide rather like JFK was a noted womanizer (maybe an abuser himself) but is mostly recalled for his public face.

Maybe it's the price of progress - I'm truly happy to have so many speak out about abuse at the hands of the powerful by those in subordinate positions. Men (not all of course) of all times and cultures have been abusing those (both men and women) of lessor 'status' since the beginning of time.

Riane Eisler in her seminal "The Blade and The Chalice" calls hierarchical social structure the dominator society.

So perhaps, like our current president, this is a good thing that will make people think about issues of abuse of 'power' at all levels of society.

I don't know - that Kevin Spacey fell 'entitled' to abuse young men disgusts me. I don't hate the man, he was raised in a society that 'models' abuse in so many ways nor do I think it effects the quality of his work and that will be missed. But I am willing to make that sacrafice if we can have an open dissicussion of the topic as it is the 'true root (and rot) of all things bad in society'.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Agreed.

I knew there was an issue with Terrence Howard, but until just this second, I didn't know it was that. That'll certainly color my opinion of him going forward.

I'd like to know the reasoning behind the foot dragging, too. You'd think a young ambitious DA would be salivating at the chance to make a big ol' splash... But apparently not.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Bill Cosby 200 MPH was I think the name of the album I found up in our attic. Played it on the record player, funny as hell. Still funny today.

Now Bill Cosby drugging women is sick. Will I still listen to those skits again? yes.

Some of the other accusations I am not so sure about. Lets take Louse KC for example.... Ladies are saying he masturbated in front of them.

If he told them they have to watch to get a part in his show, that is wrong. If they just went up to his room and he whips it out and she watches ....

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'll put it simply; it's difficult for me to watch films with abusers involved in them. I can still appreciate the art, but knowing who the people are and what they've done makes it *awfully* hard to enjoy it.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Kill Them All.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Its kind of an ironic situation with Kevin spacey though ain't it?

He (probably) made millions of dollars and even won academy awards for portraying the main character in a movie that was one of the true masterpieces of the late 90's, which was essentially about justifying how a man could become a child predator.

But now his probably lost millions and all respect he once had in hollywood and as an actor in general, by actually been called out as a child predator.

Its just ironic is all...

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

From seeing so many of these cases bulk in recent times, I kind of view these scenarios to be nothing more than a large amount of people that internally shove their bravery into their pockets when a celebrity commits a crime in their presence. Either these people are so enamored by the celebrity and chance to connect in some way personally that they ignore that they are witnessing a crime, they were offered the chance encounter due to earning trust in slowly fed ways of trade off's, or some other personality/law/moral bending factor that turns a hero into a deer in headlights.

Hell, have a celebrity pull a crime around me and the news story would be how a random person whooped a celebrity's butt for trying to act like they're some sort of higher figure of society for being a celebrity. I never understood getting overly emotional around a public figure... they're just normal people. Other normal people put them up on a pedestal, and cater to the personality flaws/choices of those entitled behaviors. Watching people even ask them for their signature, term it to be the grand version of a signature... THE AUTOGRAPH... and turn into puppy dogs in their presence is a very weird and defective human trait if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I know i won't be watching Pay it Forward again. I wonder if Haley Joel Osment has a story to tell.
What a creep Spacey turned out to be. It's amazing and awful how many people stayed silent all these years knowing he was preying on young men.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Going to be very hard for me to enjoy K-PAX again...
My theory is, if they fool you once, the shame is on them.

Just don't trust them a second time.

posted on Nov, 11 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
No one should be forced to endure that kind crap just to try and get ahead in their chosen industry.

Well it's a lot easier than putting in hard work, passion and determination.
If someone told me I can get a promotion just by watching the bossman whack off.. Well....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join