It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sherlock - Series

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

When I was first made aware that my favourite fictional detective was to be once more rendered onto "film", I was concerned. I had thought very little of the Robert Downey Jnr and Jude Law action romp, and had been an enormous fan of the eighties series, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, starring Jeremy Brett and David Burke, with its slavish adherence to the original stories as penned by Doyle, and its gorgeous portrayals of a gas lit, Victorian era London. From the way the characters spoke and the artful way in which Brett delivered every line he spoke in character, to the accuracy of the dress, the mannerisms, the very essence of the bit players, every aspect of that show appealed to me, and I found myself greeting the idea of a new adaptation, with nothing more than the most utter and all encompassing distaste, sure as I was that whatever came next, could not possibly be anything like as impactful or artfully done, as had been the work done during Brett's tenure in the lead role.

I was, I am thankful to say, utterly mistaken in being so opposed to a new adaptation. For all that the gas lit streets of London were, as I had feared, now lit with neon, for all that the characters had been transported from without the lavish, visually stunning Victorian era, and plonked down in the artless, tedious period in which I actually live, the way Sherlock and Watson interacted, the way Cumberbatch's lines were written, and his delivery of them, the way in which it was all done, came together to be something entirely majestic, even though it was not as rigidly locked to the original stories as it might have been.

Having seen all of the shows episodes, the only thing I can honestly say that I dislike about it, is that there are no more of them, and as far as I know, no plans to make any more of them either.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Perhaps.... They said that with Star Trek too, with many to follow eventually. We can only hope it resumes at some point But ultimately, if it was to truly be the end, then what an end it was, start to finish...... as you Brit's say, Splendid.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I remember watching Jeremy Brett's show on A&E back in the late 80's early 90's.

Having read all of Doyle's original Sherlock works, I thought they did a really good job sticking with how it was presented by Doyle too.

I wasn't too sure about BBCs Sherlock, but seeing Martin Freeman in it piqued my curiosity, and I was glad it did. I thought they did a very good job at a "modern" adaptation of the works.

Not like that horrible US show "Elementry".....I like Jonny Lee Miller.....but after trying to watch the show for a couple of seasons, I just could not get into it as much as I did "Sherlock".

I would have to say though, waiting every 2 years for 3 episodes that is a "season" is one thing I did hate about "Sherlock", heh.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The other that interested me was The Doctor, Dr. Who. It seems a new bunch of episodes are coming, but the Doctor is a Woman. That's just wrong. These British shows always start out great then seem to decay in the end. Though I still favored Sherlock as good.
edit on 9-11-2017 by Plotus because: aw shucks

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I quite agree. There are other versions that I found much too,,, modern for my liking.

Finding out there won't be any more, will make me savor the last four that much more. I'm half way through S:3 E:3 where they're being sought by a very beastly man!

A lot of surprises in this episode isn't there?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I hate when they do that. Why change a Classic? Doyle would not have approved.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I like JLM but not so much in Elementary either. I enjoy BBC they put out some really good ones. Red Dwarf was one of them.

3 years for Sherlock? I had to look twice at what you wrote, that would have made me crazy waiting for that long! lol

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You guys might like Lucky Man

It's based on something Stan Lee came up with, but it's a UK production. There's two seasons available, and I rather enjoyed it. Not your typical super hero type of show.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I've watched it.

It's a very good series.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I concur with others here. But....

The last episode didn't bother me half as much as the last three hours of them babbling on about production. I thought it was a three episode Continuation. I was sorely wrong.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   

I was reading some things on the internet yesterday, after work, and read some vague hints that there MIGHT, and I stress MIGHT be something more to come from the Sherlock team, about which I was rather excited, as I am sure you can imagine!

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I was reading some things on the internet yesterday, after work, and read some vague hints that there MIGHT, and I stress MIGHT be something more to come from the Sherlock team, about which I was rather excited, as I am sure you can imagine!

MIGHT is certainly more hopeful than NEVER!

Thanks for that heads up
This is very good news.

edit on 10-11-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join