It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northam wins

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: lostbook

What does this mean for the coming years for Trump's Republicans?

Nothing probably.

Virginia is loaded with regular Democrat government workers.

Majority wins.

The new Governor is a Democrat, just like the guy he's replacing. That's a no-gain "win", but I guess Democrats need a reason to feel better about themselves. They should savor this no-gain win while they can. Indictments R coming.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Did someone say this Ralph Northam guy was born a woman?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
As other posters have pointed out earlier I think the real story here is the narrow margin more than the dem win. As for the effect on Trump, I think it will be little to none. The cumulative effect of several losses might be different but I doubt it. I would have thought that getting such a smack down as the last presidential election would have changed the behavior of the dems but I was very wrong about that. I doubt the gop will learn anything from a good smack down either. That is the sad part. Even when we do our job as voters nothing happens - no one learns anything. Its depressing.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
As other posters have pointed out earlier I think the real story here is the narrow margin more than the dem win. As for the effect on Trump, I think it will be little to none. The cumulative effect of several losses might be different but I doubt it. I would have thought that getting such a smack down as the last presidential election would have changed the behavior of the dems but I was very wrong about that. I doubt the gop will learn anything from a good smack down either. That is the sad part. Even when we do our job as voters nothing happens - no one learns anything. Its depressing.

At the top of the Drudge Report it specifically points out that he won by 3 MORE points than Hillary.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

What does this mean for the coming years for Trump's Republicans?

That a pussy won the election? You tell us

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
There is a cool map on NY TImes that breaks down the votes by precinct NYtimes. If you click on the map it will bring up the precincts. I was surprised at some of the percentages. In the lower income areas Northam wins like 1100-20 and some of the areas I thought would be higher republican only wwent red by a couple of points. I noticed something really nuts in one of the precincts. In precinct number 404, an area in Norfolk called Campostella, Northam beat Gillespie 769 to 0. That's right, 0. Northam with the shut out! I thought, I wonder if public housing is located there. After a little search, surprise surprise, it is. I would expect an area like that to be way in favor of the democrats. But not 1 vote though?
edit on 7-11-2017 by xenon129 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2017 by xenon129 because: fixed link

edit on 7-11-2017 by xenon129 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I live in Virginia. I'm glad that Northam won. Here's my opinion:

In the last few days, it looked like it could have been a toss-up. The political ads were coming hot and heavy. Northam went high, and Gillespie went really low.

For the most part, Northam was running ads that played up his military experience and medical credentials.

Gillespie was running ads that tried to tie Northam to one of the worst pedophile sex offenders in VA history.

Gillespie tied himself to the Trump follower mentality. Seeing him so soundly defeated hints that maybe this nation is ready to abandon that insane path.

-dex

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Dems had a sweeping victory in Virginia last night.
It's the Anti-trump movement.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Dems had a sweeping victory in Virginia last night.
It's the Anti-trump movement.
That was sweeping?!

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Anytime a democrat or a republican funded by big money wins..............the people loose.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It was a given, VA is packed with dems in Northern Va and the Tidewater area. That's more than half the population. Doesn't mean anything in terms of the Trump administration.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Isn't that how Trump got elected? Most people voted for him simply because he wasn't Hillary.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

So a state that a little over half the time goes democrat, went democrat... not very amazing or shocking really.

Also not a sign of anything either, flip a state that normally goes red and you might be sniffing reality, otherwise its another turd sandwich being passed off as steak.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Virginia is still considered a swing state. So no it wasn't a given.

While I'll agree that Northam's win doesn't mean much, the way the rest of the state went sends a pretty clear message. This was the largest shift in power for the state since the Watergate era. The Dems picked up at least 14 seats with maybe a few more coming their way after recounts. Even if they don't pick up any more seats they still cut their 32 seat deficit down to 3. That's pretty significant.

So while people are trying to downplay what happened here this has actually been a very historic win for the Dems. Whether or not this shift can be attributed to Trump is hard to say. But it's definitely worth a reason worth considering.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Northern Virginia is about as blue as it gets, so no surprise there. What is a surprise is how close the vote was.

?????????
Northam won 53.9% to Gillespie's 45%. That's a nine-point blowout.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Maybe they decided being made great again wasn't so great.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

did you get a bunch of stupid postcards from the republicans also? the one's that said things like "You can't afford Northam" and such. the never even mentioned who the opponent was, or what he stood for. I don't have a tv, so I didn't see what kind of ads were on tv, so that's all I did get really... those stupid postcards... I finally figured out who the opponent was, via internet, but it was those postcards that won me over.... FOR NORTHAM!!! they spent all that money telling be why northam was such an unsuitable candidate, but were too ashamed to even mention the other guys name?? not even one that presented the good qualities about him?
they ran a crappy campaign from what I saw, a Trumpist campaign, where they devout most of their resources toward knocking down their opponent to avoid having to answer the hard questions as to what they want to do, and how.

an I can't afford Northam says nothing as to weather or not I can afford to live in a republican governed virginia, weather I will be able to afford the healthcare I need or the rent. it just tells me what I already know...
I can't afford crap!!! and transgender and statues are really, really low on my list of concerns..
hopefully this will turn out to be a repudiation of the new brand of republicanism that is raising it's head. the bannon version. because I really think if they present the bannon version next year after all these congressmen walk away...
they will be giving the congress over to the dems... which will be just as bad as what we have now really.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Did someone say this Ralph Northam guy was born a woman?

Say what again? No!
Are you thinking of Danica Roem? And she was born a guy, not the other way around.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Virginia's role as a swing state is still relatively new. Before that it went Red for decades. Like I said in my last post, this was the largest shift in power for the state since the Watergate era. That's significant.

It also saw the first transgender elected in the state (and I'm hearing for transgender elected to a state legislature in the nation) beating out a 26 year incumbent with staunch anti-LGBTQ views.

It also saw the first Latinas in the state's history to be elected to the state legislature. In fact of the 14 seats the Dems picked up, at least 10 of them went to women. It also saw more women than ever before running for office.

I know people want to downplay what happened but the truth is this was pretty significant.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

If we were in a time like say 30 years ago, yes I would 110% agree with you.

But we are in a time of economic uncertainty, political uncertainty, people are not sure if the govt can still keep our borders safe, basically all the stuff that was considered a given when I was a kid are now up in the air and nobody know how its going to shake out.

Its just like the blue states trump took to win the election, do I expect them to go red next election probably not unless the economy stays strong.

At this stage I would be more willing to chock it up as frustrated voters going a different direction, the amount of data is to small for the epic world shattering shift of power that many are trying to make this out to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join