It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Fired After Giving Trump's Motorcade the Finger.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Personally I think it would be fair and reasonable that anyone can flip off anyone they like and say whatever they like. That seems like a reasonable position in a world of grown ups behaving like grown ups.

However, there are policies at every workplace regarding conduct and, often, specifically in relation to social media, that every employee is made aware of and the consequences for ignoring or breaching the rules.

Additionally, companies and organisations connected to government organisations frequently have more stringent policies (for obvious reasons) and this action should really not come as much of a surprise to her or anyone else who works in government or government-connected workplaces.

The field i work in has very strict guidelines about public conduct in and out of work. Heck, during an election time I'm not even allowed to talk about politics and can be dismissed for doing so. Is this an infringement on my fundamental right to speak freely? Sure is! Would i go badmouthing my employer in public and expect to get away with it? Most certainly not....

Unfortunate for her but inevitable I'm afraid..
edit on 7-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Yeah our definitions of freedom of speech differ on either sides of the pond but I would not say ours was any better as it will result in a torrent of abuse that I don't have the time for.

hmmmm might be for the best.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Not a 1A issue.

She is free to express herself as she wishes, but she is not free to choose the consequences. Maybe she should have considered the possible consequences before she raised her finger.

You agree to exchange your time for money with your employer. You also agree to abide by that employer's rules. If you break the rules, you're subject to punishment.

Maybe have a little restraint and act like an adult?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yeah our definitions of freedom of speech differ on either sides of the pond but I would not say ours was any better as it will result in a torrent of abuse that I don't have the time for.

I meant me, they already hate you so you might as well say it for both of us.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
always cute seeing the hypocrisy of Europeans, been living in Europe 3 years now and I see a whole lot of the same problems in europe as I see in the states, but sure I guess pretending your superior is better than addressing your problems.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
always cute seeing the hypocrisy of Europeans, been living in Europe 3 years now and I see a whole lot of the same problems in europe as I see in the states, but sure I guess pretending your superior is better than addressing your problems.

Pots and kettles?

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think it's stupid.

We have people hoping Trump gets assassinated, people constantly insulting the First Lady and the children, and someone craps their pants over a middle finger?

Best part about free expression is that it's supposed to support hate speech, negative speech.

Yeah, it may be a "Fire at will" state and it might well have been within the rules of law, but it's still stupid.

If this broad had issues against Trump, this will only reinforce it.

People are so god-damned stupid sometimes.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I meant me, they already hate you so you might as well say it for both of us.

They don't hate me so I am told, they don't have time to hate me but they do have time to respond to every comment I make, commit my 10,000 posts to memory and write threads about me then attack me at every turn, while sending me the odd not so kind PM
but they don't hate me...

yeah.... they hate me!

and now you, congratulations!
edit on 7-11-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Hahaha...both things are funny, flipping the bird AND that she got fired for it.

Sucks that she couldn't be a little more intelligent at the age of 50 with two mouths to feed at home, but so goes the results of stupid decisions.

The world is like that creepy monster that files paperwork on "Monsters, Inc."

What's the cliché?...You should always do the right thing, even when no one is watching? Well, someone is always watching these days, even if "the right thing" is subjective.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Never claimed I was superior or that the states were perfect, I acknowledge we have problem here and in real life.

Also I was not the one talking about how my free speech is more free than yours, which is what prompted my hypocrisy comment.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Saw this days ago. Yeah not right. Another Employee was not let go, for a much worse post just weeks before ,and all he had to do was take it down. She gave trump the finger, for reasons. He was golfing again, and she felt that with NKorea and other things going on that he should have been focused on those things, rather than golfing AGAIN.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
An employer can fire an employee if they do something while even not working that can negatively effect their business. That rule applies to most states. This is not a first amendment issue, it is not between the government and the person, it is between two different individuals. The first amendment does not protect us from slandering others either.

If this woman would not have put that up on her social media, it would not have been a problem. She was being rude and this is an issue that can be a problem to an employer. I made it clear to my employees that they could not be rude to the customers. On top of that, I had the right to get rid of an employee who broke the law while in my employ and I also had the right to ask if they had any convictions. I asked around before hiring new employees, one bad employee can drag your business down the tubes. If I found an employee who was negative all the time, I would not hire them back the next year and they were the first to get laid off. Negativity seems to disrupt the workplace.

This woman has the right to do that on her own time but the employer has rights too and can fire someone they see as not good for their company.

No violation of the first amendment here, sorry OP. I would have let her go if she worked for me, layed off was the way to get rid of people like that in the past. I did not want someone who spurned negativity screwing up the workplace and making my employees cranky.

Everyone has rights, including the people you work for.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Never claimed I was superior or that the states were perfect, I acknowledge we have problem here and in real life.

Also I was not the one talking about how my free speech is more free than yours, which is what prompted my hypocrisy comment.

The English eat jellied eels. Hence they're always a little cranky. I mean, you would be too if you had to eat haggis and eels.

FYI

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The English eat jellied eels. Hence they're always a little cranky. I mean, you would be too if you had to eat haggis and eels.

FYI

Haggis is amazing!

Not sure about the eels though never had one.

mmmm deep fat fried mars bar....

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I think it's stupid.

We have people hoping Trump gets assassinated, people constantly insulting the First Lady and the children, and someone craps their pants over a middle finger?

Best part about free expression is that it's supposed to support hate speech, negative speech.

Yeah, it may be a "Fire at will" state and it might well have been within the rules of law, but it's still stupid.

If this broad had issues against Trump, this will only reinforce it.

People are so god-damned stupid sometimes.

Freedom of speech does not give you the right to do hate speech. A society cannot work properly if everyone started to cut down everyone else for things they do not like about them. That would create chaos, our society is starting to be very chaotic, people seem to not respect anyone else's rights. The employer had the right to dismiss her by the same reason she had the right to give Trump the finger. You reap what you sow.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
pst...

pst...

if she was fired for giving Obama the fingure, this thread would be full of comments about liberals being liberals.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

FYI

Jellied eels are grim but fresh ones can be nice.

Haggis is Scotish not English but is far from cranky making, I bet you would love it if you tried it.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

I won't deny that. Like I said "stomp all over your own d**k" lol

Hopefully someone on here will take note of this circumstance and take some precautions before they do the same. I've had employers who regularly look for and check employees social media for just such things. My stepson is an HR head for a pretty major company and he constantly runs into this kind of stuff.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Employee conduct policy

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
So where does this end?

So if you work for a company and say something bad about or insult the President they have the right to terminate your employment is this correct?

If so what if you work for a company that is owned by another company that works for the government?

With corperations getting bigger and bigger will it not get to the point that no one can have an opinion online without the threat of loosing thier job?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join