It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek is dead, fire at will!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

You should check Orville out. Its really tongue in cheek and so gets away with a lot while still being able to be serious and tell a great story.

edit on 11 5 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I'm a big Anime fan too. Have Crunchyroll on my AppleTV.
edit on 5-11-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
a reply to: nonspecific

No I have not. I have this unjustified dislike of Seth MacFarlane.

Though I have considered giving it a shot. I saw that Patrick Stewart was on there once, and that Jonathan Frakes directed an episode (iirc). So might be that I can find something to appreciate there.

It's funny how people seem to complain about things in one context, but love them in other contexts. Thinking about the stereotypical gay relationship you refer too. I bet plenty are fine with it on that show, but would be (or are) up in arms about it in STD (the doc and the engineer).

I was skeptical but it is more sabout the sci fi than the humour which I was pleasantly suprised about.

When it does make you laugh though it really makes you laugh and the balance if anything is too much on the sci fi and not on the humour.

It can catch you out as you forget the humour is part of it sometimes.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Uhuru was/is still hot.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

Fair enough!

I will say again though, that at least so far, I haven't felt any PC agendas shoved down my throat while watching. The name doesn't bother me, in fact if I am honest I think it was a good thing to do.. While you and I may find little or no discomfort with the name, or transgenders, many people still do. And many of them may like this iteration of Trek. Some of those may find their comfort levels expanding. Even through something as subtle as a name and gender.

I say that because I can recall a time in my life where I was not comfortable. I grew up going to church so naturally things like transgender was taboo. Thankfully my church upbringing was one of acceptance and understanding, and not hate. So I grew out of feeling weird about people living such lifestyles. Getting to know them personally was another eye opener.

Hell it might sound silly and stupid but just saying it how I've thought about it.

And isn't that one thing Trek is about? Expanding your horizons and accepting new and unique people/cultures? Even if you don't understand them or get along.

If/when the show takes things to a point where I feel its only cause for existence is to be a propaganda mouth-piece, then I might get angry.. lol

edit on 11-5-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

No I have not. I have this unjustified dislike of Seth MacFarlane.

Though I have considered giving it a shot. I saw that Patrick Stewart was on there once, and that Jonathan Frakes directed an episode (iirc). So might be that I can find something to appreciate there.

It's funny how people seem to complain about things in one context, but love them in other contexts. Thinking about the stereotypical gay relationship you refer too. I bet plenty are fine with it on that show, but would be (or are) up in arms about it in STD (the doc and the engineer).

Seth Mcfarlane stays relevant even to this day.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Alright well since some trusted opinions on ATS have suggested it..

I will check out The Orville!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You're welcome.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I don't see the issue with this, Star Trek has always been progressive.

However, I did some research and I found this video comparing Orville to Star Trek: Discovery.

I really like Star Trek, TNG, Voyager and DS9 because they all appear to happen in the same universe. These shows all have episodic plots.

I noticed that Star Trek: Discovery breaks with tradition in a number of ways - the plot appears to happen over an entire season, and I seriously don't understand how come the Klingons have completely changed.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

The show Discovery is all about cowtowing to special interests instead of moving a cause forward. There is no enlightenment.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

TNG was pretty much episodal but DS9 had long running arcs like the dominion war so it is not all that different when you think about it.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Agreed. Orville is better.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher

The show Discovery is all about cowtowing to special interests instead of moving a cause forward. There is no enlightenment.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Another thing to add..

Tilly Silverwhocares.

I don't love her character that much. But I believe she has a purpose. She has low confidence, and many insecurities it seems. Things that a lot of people can relate to. You know she is going to end up really successful, and hopefully less annoying. She is there for many to relate to, and follow her arc, and feel inspired by. Not that she is inspiring me any. I'm merely commenting on what I think her role is. She will overcome her own inner turmoil/confidence etc. and grow into her own. Accomplishing great things. Her journey is of self discovery.

Hell I'd argue that's what the whole show is about.

Self discovery, not space exploration.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

So what enlightenment has the Orville brought you?

Or better questions perhaps.

What enlightenment did..

TOS bring you?
TNG bring you?
DS9 bring you?
Voyager bring you?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Watch Orville instead, you'll see.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

See post above.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher

Watch Orville instead.

I am, it is like starterk but the b team and dogs licking thier balls.

Decent enough show and as I said above it makes you laugh a lot but to be fair I think it has a certain b movie esque naievety in its plots that irritate me a little.

So to answer the actual question I asked?

link   

Okay, so you can't really say.

Gotcha. Feeling like a transgender agenda is being pushed on you is far more annoying than all the crap Seth McFarlane has ever 'pushed' on people through garbage like Family Guy.

edit on 11-5-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

link   
Has anyone figured out how come the Klingons look and act so different? Does this show take place in the same universe as TNG or the reboot?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join