It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek is dead, fire at will!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

As I said above the first series always feel a bit disjointed while you get used to the charecters and the actors settle into the roles so I would agree with you there.

If you like the theme so much do you also see similarity to the theme to Fringe?

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: nonspecific

And that was a dick thing to do. I dont like the show like large swaths of fans dont

Bite me.

Thats fine and you need to deal with my attitude or whatever made you turn this convo towards me and not the show.

You win though.

I dont like Trek enough to even stay in a thread about it I MADE.

SO enjoy. This is fitting. Its your thread now attitude police.

So you are taking your ball and going home because people disagreed with you then?

Fair enough and have a nice day.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

You know I did like the opening.

I like to see a symphonic entrance to these shows as was part of it.

ENT was too American pop rock with boring visuals.

I liked this intro.

Here is a bone, I liked the fact that Klingon tech was ancient and stone carved.

Their ships looked like dark boogers in space though.

edit on 11 4 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Dark mater is better than the new trek.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Yea, but that got canceled

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
A lot of the so-called 'fans' don't like the show because it has a black woman in the lead role, and it has a couple of gay characters, and they're ranting about having the 'gay agenda shoved down their throats'.

(Oo-err, missus.)

Along with of course: 'POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAAAAAAD!'

So basically a bunch of homophobes and racists don't like on point of principle.

There's some legit concerns I think. I don't like how they're having the klingons talk in klingon, and not allowing the actors to act in those roles. But other than that, I think it's fine, sometimes genuinely pretty good.

I agree with others, it will take it a season or two to find its feet properly. and establish all of the characters. But I like it a lot.

(The Expanse is better though.
)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
A lot of the so-called 'fans' don't like the show because it has a black woman in the lead role, and it has a couple of gay characters, and they're ranting about having the 'gay agenda shoved down their throats'.

Seriously? Those people have obviously never watched trek before.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

The artwork of the intro got me.

Here is a bone, I liked the fact that Klingon tech was ancient and stone carved.

Same here. Have you noticed how starships and warbirds appear to be made of drywall/plasterboard? As soon as they get torpedoed dust and bits of plaster start dropping on the cast.

a reply to: nonspecific

I haven't seen Fringe. It looks good going off the reviews and I'll give it a run next week.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Thats not it at all.

That was never an issue with Trek fans.

Its just not made for us. Its not marketed as our Trek.

So have at it. Its Trek in name alone though. Know that.

But this is part of what I am talking about.

Whatever with that mess. Homophobic Trek fans scared of a black female lead? What? Just stop.

So dumb.

Why.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Orville is really fun.

The expanse is crazy good.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The Expanse is good, Dark Matter was good, couldn't really get into Killjoys. And Orville is f#'n awesome. It really feels like TNG mostly because it's the same producer Brannon Braga.
edit on 4-11-2017 by Autorico because: added stuffs

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well, let's play this your way then. From one Trekkie to another, OP...TOS is a pile of complete s#, even for it's "day". That iteration couldn't even manage more than 3 seasons it was so lousy. Bad writing, bad acting, bad sets, bad costumes, bad everything

The again, the same could also be said for Enterprise, and I liked that one. In case it needs explaining, the above was intended to be more tongue-in-cheek then offensively blunt, to illustrate that you either like a series, or you don't (I really do personally think TOS was a POS, though)

And we're not even factoring in TAS yet. That's a whole different ball of example wax.

But the franchise lived on despite a minority of crybaby fans not liking each series & throwing tantrums. Still lives on. I'm pretty happy with Discovery, it's quite palatable even for us more rigid Trekkies (well, except thou, evidently)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

You were one of those brilliant individuals who thought the Ghost Busters reboot was going to fantastic and anyone who didn't like it was obviously just upset over female leads in a movie made famous by male actors... until you saw it yourself and realized no, it isn't bigotry, the movie truly is that God awful, weren't you?

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I like TOS as a retro experience. I grew up with TNG, but admit I prefer Kirk's "John Wayne Toilet Paper" captain to Picard's "Why Can't We Be Friends" schtick. DS9 was excellent, though. Great leads, believable and relatable heroes and villains. (Gul Dukat was an outstanding character, maybe the most fully fleshed out villain in the whole ST universe.)

I tried to watch Voyager, just couldn't really get into it. Enterprise I never even tried to watch and I doubt I'll waste any time with Discovery, either. That said, I'd love to see a DS9 movie, but that ship has almost certainly already sailed.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

So just die Star Trek. Die.

Everything is watered down now. Its apolitical, meaning not offensive to anyone. When was the last anti war message you saw in a tv show, on the news, or in film?

Star Trek will never die. The reason we loved it so much was because it challenged the status quo...

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I think it's partly that retro aesthetic (if that's what you mean) that makes it suck donkey balls for me. A little too "crayola" in the color schemes, a little too "let's play dress up in mom's rejects closet" in costumes. The overall looks, if we're being completely honest, for characters was pretty terrible.
The acting didn't help the lousy stories much. It was just...bad. Doohan, Nimoy and Nichols were pretty damn good actors. Everyone else just seemed entirely too forced, or in Shatner's case, inept.

I agree DS9 being the high bar series, it's excellent. Dukat was an amazing nemesis, but it's really Marc Alaimo people have to be grateful for, I don't think anyone else could have pulled off Dukat. Just like no one else could have been Sisko but Avery Brooks, no one could have been Quark but Armin Shimerman, no one else could have been Garak but Andrew Robinson, no one else could have been Odo but Rene Auberjonois.
And it's damn sure agreed that no one else on the planet could have been Martok but J.G Hertzler.

DS9 stands as an example of perfectly selected actors for their roles, a Midas Touch in casting, if you will.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

if , as you claim :

" star trek is dead "

then you are surely advocating :

"beating a dead horse "

one has to wonder why ?

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I dont think TOS is crap. It aged poorly but not completely. I hear you though, its not great.

I didnt like enterprise. I watched it though like I did voyager and DS9. It was still an ok story in the prime universe.

Some episodes in every show sucked. Thats not the point.

This show isnt made for us and I dont see why I have to pretend its great when its not. Or that I am being hard on the people trying to make money off something they dont even bother to understand.

The movies did well, why not make a series off that?

Why pretend this is prime universe and then switch it out? Fans wanted prime so the choice was made to lie to us? Why? Why even ask what we want if it will be ignored?

Orville is the new Trek in every way. Its funnier too.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Because there are plenty that harp on about how we all love it. Just calling BS on that.

Also because I feel like it. This was something I liked and now it sucks. Call me crazy but I think that merits a response.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I like Kitsch, believe it or not. TOS has it in spades, as does old shows like Lost in Space and the old space movies on the 60s. In some ways the more kitschy TNG episodes are my favorites, like the one where Tasha dies to the oil blob or the episode where the crew gets addicted to a video game are ones that I enjoy watching today. Interestingly, I don't this DS9 had a lot of that. It took itself seriously, but consistently did so, so it never seemed out of place. TNG infuriated me at times with one episode being ridiculous and the next one being overly terse.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join