It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek is dead, fire at will!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I watched all episodes to date twice.

I have the entire Trek world on my PC. Almost.

I have seen TNG series a nausiating amount of times.

I was fair and tried to like it. I dont see a worthy story. I think they dropped the torch.

I see something else I explained already.

Freaking planet of the Titans looking road flare full of people I dont care about trying to kill other things in space wars.

What ever.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

I watched all episodes to date twice.

I have the entire Trek world on my PC. Almost.

I have seen TNG series a nausiating amount of times.

I was fair and tried to like it. I dont see a worthy story. I think they dropped the torch.

I see something else I explained already.

Freaking planet of the Titans looking road flare full of people I dont care about trying to kill other things in space wars.

What ever.

I understand you do not like it but I was trying to point out that it is reasonable to say that it is too early to say for sure wheather it is any good or not.

Those six episodes you would not comment on were awful, almost embarresing to be brutal.

The plots were lame, the scripts were wooden, the charecters were 2 dimensional and aqward.

If I had stopped watching after those I would have missed out on a great show that was different to tos and took some time to find it's feet.

But you don't care about that as you are too busy having a hissy fit that it does not fit what you wanted it to be.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I am not saying it doesnt take a bit for these shows to pick up.

This has nothing to fix. TNG had problems with production but everything was saved by the show actually being good.

Those crappier episodes were still better than what everyone else was doing. We just judge them now with hindsight but forget they had us captivated just like the "good episodes" did.

Thats why we each dislike different episodes for different reasons.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

I am not saying it doesnt take a bit for these shows to pick up.

This has nothing to fix. TNG had problems with production but everything was saved by the show actually being good.

Those crappier episodes were still better than what everyone else was doing. We just judge them now with hindsight but forget they had us captivated just like the "good episodes" did.

Thats why we each dislike different episodes for different reasons.

You may be right but time will tell and as many others wil give it the benefit of the doubt and some settling in before final judgement.

Another thing to consider in this ever changing world is watching once a week as opposed to binge watching.

I am not entirely happy with std so far but at an episode a week I have a whole seven days to forget the things that bugged me or was let down by.

If I were to watch all six shows in a row then it might build up to a more detrimental viewpoint when you put it all together.

I might do that this evening and see if I agree with you any more.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The Orville is basically Star Trek, with the addition of fart jokes.
It has the same plot lines, style, characters, etc as Next Generation/Voyager/DS9.
Heck, Brannon Braga (TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, First Contact) even wrote and directed the last episode.

a reply to: tadaman

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Id have to say I dont mind discovery , Ive been watching star trek since the original series

and have watched every series of star trek multiple times .

I dont see what the problem is, its different for sure , but doesnt spell the end of star trek.

Its the same with fans all over the world with any show, music, artist etc

as soon as something changes from what is expected of fans then its disappointment.

If you choose not to live within your ego and not set expectations of things, then you will not be disappointed.

I allow every new iteration of anything I like to be free to explore it with artistic expression.

I give everything the benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove its worth.

I cant see anything major which breaks my enjoyment of star trek.

People get too hung up on what is "their" version of a show , or their version of a band etc
once you put any great deal of attachment into something , you will become upset if things dont go as you expect them.

If you cant enjoy discovery , thats up to you , but you still have all of the previous star trek episodes and films to enjoy
I understand that the franchise has been cut off from fan made content the same as star wars, that wont prevent you from enjoying star trek , just from making any money from it.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Id have to say I dont mind discovery , Ive been watching star trek since the original series

and have watched every series of star trek multiple times .

I dont see what the problem is, its different for sure , but doesnt spell the end of star trek.

Its the same with fans all over the world with any show, music, artist etc

as soon as something changes from what is expected of fans then its disappointment.

If you choose not to live within your ego and not set expectations of things, then you will not be disappointed.

I allow every new iteration of anything I like to be free to explore it with artistic expression.

I give everything the benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove its worth.

I cant see anything major which breaks my enjoyment of star trek.

People get too hung up on what is "their" version of a show , or their version of a band etc
once you put any great deal of attachment into something , you will become upset if things dont go as you expect them.

If you cant enjoy discovery , thats up to you , but you still have all of the previous star trek episodes and films to enjoy
I understand that the franchise has been cut off from fan made content the same as star wars, that wont prevent you from enjoying star trek , just from making any money from it.

You are right with the music thing. How many times have people been dissapointed when an artist changes direction and releases something different.

Either embrace it or refuse it, it is not yours to complain about at the end of the day.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I have seen some of my friends actually go mental and completely destroy all their stuff as if the band had just cheated on them!

Albeit that was in my younger days when cooler heads didnt prevail , my pal microwaved his cd's one time because his favourite band brought out an album which was so bad in his eyes it meant that all of their work was to be discarded!

One thing I did notice in discovery which I have never seen before in Star Trek

was the use of foul language , where crewman tilly explains how "#ing cool" the mycelium network is , to which the chief engineer explains there is no need to apologise as it is "#ing cool"

I was shocked at that , because there was never any need for the characters to resort to swearing because it was outdated and not common for star fleet officers to swear like that.

So far thats been the only thing which I found went against the traditions of star trek !

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya

McFarlane Toys by Todd McFarlane is great, but Hot Toys is better.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I have seen some of my friends actually go mental and completely destroy all their stuff as if the band had just cheated on them!

Albeit that was in my younger days when cooler heads didnt prevail , my pal microwaved his cd's one time because his favourite band brought out an album which was so bad in his eyes it meant that all of their work was to be discarded!

One thing I did notice in discovery which I have never seen before in Star Trek

was the use of foul language , where crewman tilly explains how "#ing cool" the mycelium network is , to which the chief engineer explains there is no need to apologise as it is "#ing cool"

I was shocked at that , because there was never any need for the characters to resort to swearing because it was outdated and not common for star fleet officers to swear like that.

So far thats been the only thing which I found went against the traditions of star trek !

There has been some swearing over the years though, I think data swears in one of the movies when the ship is going down and he has the emotion chip turned on and I am sure Janeway has sworn on occasion as has Siko but I could be wrong on that.

I don't really mind it as I am a grown up and it is a commonly used word. It seems odd that these things and getting stoned is fine on the Orville which seems to be deemed good by trekkies but not on Discovery?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I hadnt considered that.

I did binge and can see myself being more forgiving had I taken a week between each one.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Someone had posted on imdb about discovery and said that it was awful and too violent and that it was full of action and war and that there was never any violence like this in the old series.

I just thought wow , this person clearly doesnt pay attention, considering Kirk near swings a punch almost every episode
and never mind the constant conflicts between the klingon and romulan empire , and the Borg!

I just thought wow they obviously dont pay enough attention.

I did think how obvious it was being by giving the main character a male name , even tilly points it out!
and how close it is to matters today.

As for the racism , well there is plenty of it in discovery already between the klingons
Tkuvma's successor of low caste , no name of no house has the pigmentation defect and is classed as sub klingon
by the others.

I think its doing well so far , and I will continue to watch

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Someone had posted on imdb about discovery and said that it was awful and too violent and that it was full of action and war and that there was never any violence like this in the old series.

I just thought wow , this person clearly doesnt pay attention, considering Kirk near swings a punch almost every episode
and never mind the constant conflicts between the klingon and romulan empire , and the Borg!

I just thought wow they obviously dont pay enough attention.

I did think how obvious it was being by giving the main character a male name , even tilly points it out!
and how close it is to matters today.

As for the racism , well there is plenty of it in discovery already between the klingons
Tkuvma's successor of low caste , no name of no house has the pigmentation defect and is classed as sub klingon
by the others.

I think its doing well so far , and I will continue to watch

I just started watching another episode and a thought occured to me.

TOS started on a mission to explore, as time went on battles and stuff occured.

TNG continued that mission and in time they went on to battle the borg and others.

DS9 started out with the role of peacekeepers and eventually we ended up with the dominion war.

Voyager got lost and started the mission the wrong way round working back to earth and fought almost everyone on the way.

ENT yet another exploration mission that concluded with the Xindi war.

STD Started out with a war, no peacefull exploration, no time to let the charecters grow in peace time just straight into a full on loosing battle with the klingons.

No wonder it has people all put out.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
i actually hate the series myself but i dont come on here and make a thread about it jeez

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dan121212

I dont care. I did make one. Thats me. I guess we wont be bestest pals because of it.

edit on 11 6 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

#captainleonidas

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I watched a bit of it and just wasn't able to get into it at all. I wasn't very fond of the way Klingons are being portrayed. I'm not sure why, but it felt off. Not really sure about the Vulcan perspective either. Maybe watching more would change my mind, but so far, what I did watch hasn't hooked me enough to keep watching.

TOS was my childhood and I grew up watching it. TNG I've watched over and over for years. I really didn't get into Enterprise either. There was something too different about it.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm a life long star trek fan, and I love the new show! I also love the Orville. Both great shows although Disco just comes out ahead.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
STD is certainly different in many ways compared to all the previous Star Trek series.

Do I hate it?

Nah, I just look at it differently is all - it's someone's idea of Star Trek that's different.

So I look at the pros and cons of it:

Pros:

Visuals are stunning. They've done a great job there.
SFX for the ship controls are great - no more ugly lit buttons, lit touch pads. Instead we have holographic interfaces.
View screen on the bridge is huge with data overlays! Now that's what you'd expect on a starship.
The story is interesting - we'd heard about the Klingon war with the Federation prior to Kirk's time, but never any details.

Cons:

"Michael" ? really? It's a HUGE distraction. Every time someone calls her "Michael" I'm distracted by it. All I can think of is "Why? WTF? " and realize I'm not paying attention to the show.

Klingons - why oh why did they feel the need to change them.....again? I can understand changing them from TOS going into the movies...and then we had plenty of time to get used to them with TNG, DS9, Voyager, even Enterprise (and then the newer movies staring the TNG crew). There was NO need to change them again. Again: it's a HUGE distraction.

Subtitles - sigh......really? If I'd wanted to read that much I'd have picked up a book, not watched a TV show.

So I think those are my biggest gripes about the show. Not enough to keep me from watching it, but enough for me to shake my head at.

Now.....for that overwhelming need to have a Star Trek show that is more like Star Trek than STD: Orville. Hands down.

There's a good reason that Orville feels more like Star Trek than STD: just look at who's helped consult and direct the show: Brannon Braga (TNG, DS9, etc, etc), Jonathan Frakes (Riker from TNG), David Goodman (Enterprise), it's no wonder that the show feels more like Star Trek than STD does.

Basically STD is trying to re-create what made the modern version of BSG (Battlestar Galactica) such a success: dark and edgy.

While it worked great for BSG, not all other shows that try it can make it work. Take a look at SGU. I enjoyed it, but way too many of the SG fans hated it, and it killed the series.

Will that happen with STD? Only time will tell.

posted on Nov, 7 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Oh crap I forgot those subtitles !

Trajan Pro it is and in Bold with a huge point size so you dont miss them!

they give it that animated comic book feeling ,which i think is really off putting.
If they had just kept the subtitles in a sans serif font and a lower point size , hell even 14 pt trajan would be better than 40 pt trajan taking up almost the whole of the bottom of the screen.

makes it look comic style , which does annoy me but at least they are accessible subtitles.

I have to agree the visual style for me is fantastic , I dont dislike the klingon armour etc, I think the ship designs are different but cool .

I dont mind artistic interpretation of the klingons and their ships etc ,all this upset simply stems from what people see as their own version .

Like how you imagine someones face when you read a book, for someone to come along and tell you its different you immediately disagree with their version of events.

As for naming her Michael , it's obviously a nod to the whole gender fluidity we face as humans at the moment.
What I think star trek does do well is takes problems we see in humanity now and go beyond that and say they are no longer an issue for humans on earth. But intergalactic racism is and warfare are !

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join