It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychedelic drugs could prevent criminals from re-offending, claims study.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Just saw an article about this earlier. Very interesting stuff. It's almost as if using these psychotropics 'resets' the neural pathways that have been screwed up, which would get rid of addiction and other imbalances, or at the least help minimize them so the person could deal with issues better.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: musicismagic
It's not true.
Drugs do 2 things to a person.
1. Make that person sick
2. Make that person evil and do bad things in life.

Certain addictive drugs can cause that, even alcohol and tobacco .

This is about therapeutic use of specific hallucinogens , that can make people see themselves, including character defects.

+1 on alcohol. I quite almost 3 years ago. When I had enough in my system I was dark. That stuff ruined my life during the time I indulged in it, which was every waking hour. Psychedelics on the other hand will change your life in a positive way. The mysterious thing about them, is that they will show you what needs to be worked on, as if they are intelligent in and of themselves. So bad experiences are just as enlightening as the good.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: bgerbger

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: bgerbger

Timothy Leary figured stuff like this out in the 60's, then ignorant Republicans *cough*Nixon*cough* demonized the drug because it was associated with the hippy movement and stunted Psychology's development back decades.

Despite Leary's background in psychology and science, and his 'set and setting' methods, he also preached a kind psychedelic gospel to the masses which encouraged mass usage (and not always safe usage) of psychedelics. Partially due to Leary's influence, any research with these chemicals was shut down, and only now are we seeing a resurgence of sanctioned studies.

Leary worked with the CIA prior to his 'conversion', and some believe he may have been an agent all along.

therearenosunglasses.wordpress.com...

In my opinion this is better than mass consumption in an uncontrolled environment.

From what I read Tim Leary did not encourage mass usage, rather he made it clear that one needs to be psychologically and emotionally prepared first and went on to describe detrimental outcomes if you are not. Now it is more likely that college students and other people thought they were at a level that they could handle it, I think most people were and still are not prepared or did not have a singleness of purpose which Tim Leary had, namely scientific research.

edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago012101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

Not only is it re writing neural pathways it is dissolving , diminishing the ego enough for the human being of awareness to see the affects their previous actions have taken , or how continuing on this path will lead to more suffering.

Best mental health system going in my opinion , we need more shaman dishing out the mushrooms!

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Brave New World anyone? (The Soma Drug used to pacify the population.)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

you mean like the plethora of designer drugs we already have to placate the populous and make them not care about our species or our planet.

Just take a look at which drugs are illegal and which drugs are legal
and that tells you everything you need to know.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Tobacco isn't a grass. Its a nightshade, in the family of plants with tomato and eggplant.

Plants are not drugs. Plants are plants. To make a drug out of a plant you have to isolate its intoxicants, then synthesize them.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

This is just the beginning. Right now a lot of these drugs appeared to be prototypes and that in the future the TPTB might release the Soma like drug.
edit on 10/24/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Like that time you blasted off and saw the devil (or God or some dichotomy — I’m fairly sure it was a thread of your’s)? Lol. Was that one of your ‘bad’ experiences?? I read “trip reports” every now and again and there was one very similar to your’s and the time-dilation effect had really wigged the experiencer out, but he was lucid (i.e. a non-disassociative experience) and knew he had to just bite down on his mouthpiece and white-knuckle it to the end. Interestingly enough, although it was literal hell, he remarked after some introspection the ‘bad’ experience was all worth it. If you care to read the trip report, I can dig it up and PM it to you. Good luck in the ‘future’.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Brave New World anyone? (The Soma Drug used to pacify the population.)

This is dumb. The closest drug to a Soma Drug on the market are the opiates that zombify people, but those are causing a HUGE societal backlash so such a fantasy is unlikely to ever occur. People aren't as dumb as conspiracy theorists like to assume they are.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Um, what about "Soma"??

www.drugs.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

If we are being honest, the world was far, far better while opiates were easier to get. Now people have moved on to the real devil in pharmaceuticals: benzo's.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Um, what about "Soma"??

www.drugs.com...

That isn't the Soma that poster was talking about and isn't the Soma I'm referring to. TBH I didn't know about the Soma muscle relaxer, but you are just being a smart ass if you are pretending like that was the Soma that was being discussed.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I disagree. I think the world would be better if we moved onto medical marijuana for pain instead of jumping to such hard core pain killers all the time.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

If we are being honest, the world was far, far better while opiates were easier to get. Now people have moved on to the real devil in pharmaceuticals: benzo's.

Lol, wut? You’re being facetious, right?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The OP is nothing to do with treating people with psychedelic drugs. It says 'The data for the years 2002-2014 suggests that lifetime use of classic psychedelic drugs reduced the odds of people committing a crime. For instance, chances of having indulged in theft or larceny in the preceding year were found to be 27 percent less for psychedelic users than others, while the chance of being arrested for such crimes was found to be 22 percent lower. Similarly, psychedelic users showed 12 percent lower odds for committing violent crimes and 18 percent lower odds for being arrested for them. '

I would imagine that extensive use of a psychedelic drug : a) frequently renders you incapable of committing crimes and b) suggests that you may well be a bit 'hippyish' anyway, so probably not the most violent person around.

As they say, correlation isnt causation. I would guess that people who drive a Prius are probably less prone to violence than people who drive motorbikes, but I wouldnt prescribe a Prius as a cure for aggression.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: musicismagic

Define "dope".

Alcohol isn't a drug. It is an Intoxicant.

No. Alcohol is a depressant just like heroin or opiates. That's probably why people are so self-destructive when they are drunk.

You misunderstand the term 'depressant '.

It means it depresses the central nervous system, not 'makes you depressed ' so you do stupid things.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I disagree. I think the world would be better if we moved onto medical marijuana for pain instead of jumping to such hard core pain killers all the time.

Marijuana doesn't work for pain for many people, myself included. Doesn't do one iota out good for me, just makes my high and in equal amounts of pain as before.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

I misunderstood nothing. There is a reason I used the word "probably" to write my hypothesis.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Lol, wut? You’re being facetious, right?

Nope.

My own personal observation, painkillers are not the problem that benzo's are.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join