It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cambridge Students - Be warned, Shakespeare may distress you!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

I can appreciate Shakespeare for what it is, but good god man, SNOOZEVILLE.

Alas, I'm guessing you have never seen a Shakespearean play by a talented Shakespearean company?

Same goes for most of the classics for me, though. . .

That's a shame.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I agree with this.

Theater is the only way to truly enjoy Shakespeare because the added dimension of good acting and interpretation can quickly demystify the language.

At least, it always did so for me.
edit on 22-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Whats really worrying is that people doing an English degree ned to be warned about whats in Shakespeare-for God's sake, what did they read to get in Uni-Dr Seuss?

The same people who say they need content warnings and safe spaces are probably killing virtual aliens with chainsaws as we speak, without a care in the world, but someone getting stabbed in a book scares them?

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, Shakespearean plays were meant to be performed—because they are plays. As you seem to agree, seeing a play by a talented company and their interpretation adds nuance that is oftentimes lost by simply reading the written word, and does help demystify and broaden the appeal, and makes it more relatable.

The language, in itself, is one reason why it continues to be studied and read: the levels of complexity are astounding.
edit on 22-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: lawman27
Whats really worrying is that people doing an English degree ned to be warned about whats in Shakespeare-for God's sake, what did they read to get in Uni-Dr Seuss?

The same people who say they need content warnings and safe spaces are probably killing virtual aliens with chainsaws as we speak, without a care in the world, but someone getting stabbed in a book scares them?

I am trying to recall when we first read Romeo and Juliet. I am thinking it was high school, but I know I had done both Romeo and Juliet and MacBeth by the time I hit college. Had to memorize the dagger speech for College Bound English.

I had also read Lord of the Flies, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations (hate, hate, hate), Lord Jim, Moby Dick, and others I can't recall.

No ... I do recall. We read an abbreviated version in 8th.
edit on 22-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Well, considering everyone is too sensitive for anything these days (except torture horror at the cinema), perhaps poets should return to writing about the landscape and the pretty plants.

And Ode to my Cactus:

You are so green, yet spikey
Blood floods from my fingers Crikey!

Your flower's looking a bit droopy.
One day you'll wilt - it's spooky.

Totally uplifting.
Use the botanical to fight the tyrannical!

edit on 23-10-2017 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I wud like to enter this litertur cors, bekoze I'm reely gud with ze Englisch.

Shakespeare was a grait man, and ze USA kan bee prowd he was yor Prime Minister.

Not zat there is anyting rong with Mr Trump.
Half white and half red Indian - so an orange Prime Minister is not a bad king.

Joke.
edit on 23-10-2017 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join