It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tattoo's

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I wonder how you feel about tattoos? How about your children getting them ? Well that is to say adult children. Would you feel a sadness that your time spent instilling values in them was for naught ?

Children grow up and fledge out of the nest. They have their own lives to move forward with, and you encourage them as best as you can. The world changes, and sadly moral compass's change. What was once abhorrent is now mainstream, and so the world turns. Peer pressure ignites ideas and actions, some not so well thought out, but wisdom is gained sometimes, sometimes not. Other times it's as Einstein said about 'doing the same thing over and over and expecting change'. You feel remorse and seek change if your lucky enough to recognize insanity.

Thus they learn or fail their peers or their loved ones expectations.
At some point a parent must let go, hoping for the best, and being there if the worst should come. It's the way of life.
I have lived to see this tattoo thing mar my daughter, a whim because of a concert she attended. A lifelong reminder of an obscure band that in a few years will be all but forgotten. Sadness consumes me because of this. Perhaps I will one day accept it, but I will always remember the loss I felt that day.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I have a tattoo. It's on my back. It is a heart that says, "#ing die" with a lizard clutching it from behind.

However, now when I see someone in their 40's or 50's getting them (especially women for some reason) I realize that they have ceased to have any rationale for me. It's a just a thing that makes no sense to me. I would never let any of my children under say 16 get one, possibly 18.

I mean people can get all the tattoo's they want, but they just seem a bit too trendy these days and sort of kill the whole coolness vibe they used to have.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
I wonder how you feel about tattoos? How about your children getting them ? Well that is to say adult children. Would you feel a sadness that your time spent instilling values in them was for naught ?

I have lived to see this tattoo thing mar my daughter, a whim because of a concert she attended. A lifelong reminder of an obscure band that in a few years will be all but forgotten. Sadness consumes me because of this. Perhaps I will one day accept it, but I will always remember the loss I felt that day.

i dont know. you seem pretty uptight to me but if it is how you feel you are not wrong.
i have about 60 tattoos. my wife has a lot. my son is 21 and has none. my daughter is 5.
same rule for her there was for him. depending on grades and behavior i will take her to get a tattoo when she is 16 if she wants it. for an tattoos on her while she is under 18 i get final say on what it is and final say on where it is.
after that she does what she does.

i just dont see the big deal at all.

people(not saying you) love to assume that people like me force or encourage our kids to get them and it is not true. if that were the case my son would have one by now.

you probably cant get past me feeling so casual about it and thats fine.
i cant get past you feeling like she is 'marked' and this extreme 'sadness' you feel.

oh well
good luck

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Remember there is no wrong answer here, I'm just seeking opinions.

link   
a reply to: Plotus

Don't leave me in suspense, man, what band?!

My wife and i both have tattoos. She's got a sleeve in progress. I've got 8 in various places.

Our 15 yo daughter has expressed she'd like to get one, mainly because she's type one. (She'd like to get "type 1" tattooed on the inside of her wrist. )
Personally I'm okay with it, as long as they don't go splittin their tongues or try to transform into a lizard person with facial implants . . .

link   
a reply to: Fools

some of mine mean things and some dont.

ive had so many people ask me but what about when you are 60?

im sure some of them will look pretty terrible when i am 60. i really just cant seem to get up the energy to care.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
my daughter is 5.
same rule for her there was for him. depending on grades and behavior i will take her to get a tattoo when she is 16...

Get her one now! She can roll into Kindergarten on her big wheel with a 1%er tat. No one will mess with her.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

Breaking Benjamin The Celtic square
edit on 21-10-2017 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

my daughter is 5.
same rule for her there was for him. depending on grades and behavior i will take her to get a tattoo when she is 16...

Get her one now! She can roll into Kindergarten on her big wheel with a 1%er tat. No one will mess with her.

i was thinking a mike tyson tribal right on her face.
i think i will make the appointment

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Oh man, they haven't already fallen into obscurity?

I'm a snob though, don't listen to me. . .

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I feel for you, Plotus. In my opinion, it's become a cringe worthy trend that most will come to regret as they mature.

I'll never forget a time when I was sunbathing at a neighborhood pool when I saw this girl across the way that looked like she had bruises all up and down one leg as if someone had beat the crap out of her or she had been in a terrible accident, only to realize later that it was a tatoo.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Even better. Nothing says 'CPS, go eff yourself' more than that.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Even better. Nothing says 'CPS, go eff yourself' more than that.

i could just wait until she comes home with a tattoo at 15 so i can be mortified and kick her out of the house so i can spend the rest of my years in a perpetual state of sadness.

no sure which way to go yet

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I was thinking about tattoos for years, before all the profi atheletes and nearly every musician, actor and whatever copied those gang members, that are tattoed from top to bottom.

At the time when i was thinking about tattos, i never had one because you really have to think about the motiv first, or the words, they will stay for the rest of your life and i never could make a decision! Plus that the prices are way too high here in germany, for tattos. If you don´t know somebody who can do them professionally and would not take hundreds of euros for a 2 square centimetres mini tattoo.

And today, in a time where everybody, really almost everybody, from schoolgirls and housewives over garbage men and banksters up to managers, politicians etc. has a tattoo, i am so happy not to have one. Wasn´t the reason for having a tattoo kind of being different, some years ago?

Now i am different again(in relation to tattos), because i don´t have a tattoo like everybody else out there!

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
If my kid is gay, whnts tattoos, enjoys eating raw eggs?? What do I care?? He’s happy in this f#%ked up world then I’m happy. He did get the tattoos already, just like his Dad, me, the bad role model!

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Get her that tat.

If you do I'll throw in a Hasbro Easy Bake Home Meth Lab.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

My daughter getting a tattoo someday will be a confirmation of my time "spent instilling values in" her and certainly wouldn't be for naught. My values I instill to her is that her body is hers and hers alone.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My daughter has a few tattoos. We wouldn't let her get one until she was 18. Then she could make her own decision. However, I was consulted on the first one. It was something mild just above her left breast. Since then she has added several more.

At one point she got a tattoo on the inside of her thigh. It was supposed to be a woman in a bikini. But the artist wasn't very skilled at his job. So it turned out to look like a buxomness woman with extra equipment below the waist. If you know what I mean. She eventually got it covered over by a beautiful image of a Panther. $500.00 and she stayed in the chair for several hours while the artist did his magic.

At one point she mentioned getting a ring in her lip, or some such nonsense. When she said that, I went to my toolbox and fetched my diagonal cutters. I showed them to her and said that if she came in the house with a ring in her face I was going to cut it out with those pliers. She got the message.

I worked with a young man several years ago. He was a Summer intern. While he was in college, he collected an assortment of tattoos on his arms and hands. When he graduated he took a job with a high tech firm in the Boston area. Now he wears long sleeve shirts year round to conceal those youthful indiscretions.

I really don't care for an overabundance of tattoos on men or woman. For me it immediately provides me with a poor first impression. However, if the person can demonstrate some redeeming quality, I can change my mind. That's just my opinion.

-dex

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

There is a certain wisdom in what you say. Were not all alike, we all didn't grow up poor, average or wealthy, nor did we all grow up in the same part of the world. We don't all share the same moral compass, and as I said, there is no right answer. I am absorbing each and every opinion.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
My own tattoos are sigils to honor the dead. Sadly, I have quite a few in the queue.

My only wish for a child would be that they didn't get any they would later regret. Really though, we all make mistakes, its just that some follow us around a bit more closely than others.

For the most part, a tattoo (one that turns into a regret) is a minor item in the grand scheme of things. If that's the worst regret someone has.. that ain't so bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join