It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United says goodbye to the 747 in a new video

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have had the pleasure to fly on a KLM 747-400 from Amsterdam to Sint-Maarten and Back.

It was around 30 years ago, at the time not realisering the "significance" of the Sint Maarten airport. But a vivid memory on all account. It was my first flight on an airplane ever.
I asked and got to get visit in the cockpit (remember 30 years ago) on the flight somewhere above the ocean. Then on arrival the pilot made a steep low pass turn around the island. The plane banking a lot on its side. The pilot telling about the view. I was excited in many ways, it was also my first tropical destination, and above that an palm tree island in a blue ocean! Anyway It almost looked like the wing tips would touch the water ( in retrospect.. probably a few hundred meters , but hey, first flight! .

The take off was special also, as there is a mountain on the end of the short runway the plane could not be fully loaded and fueled, the pilot told us. Otherwise he could not make the needed turn after lift of. I find it all fascinating and exciting at the time.

We got on the runway and this amazing large plane would put on the brakes.. full throttle.. whole plane started shaking... and then off the brakes.. it was amazing, like a sport car almost.. this massive plane took off... and started banking immediately ... to avoid the mountain.

Then we went to another bigger island to add additional fuel and passengers to reach Amsterdam.

All in all, my first flying i never forget!

allthouig officially the 747-400 stopped flying to Sint Maarten , after the hurricane last month KLM returned to aide the Island.

edit on 8-11-2017 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join