It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian General Issam Zahreddine killed by Islamic State

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Major General Issam Zahreddine, Commander of the 104th Brigade of the Republican Guard of the Syrian Arab Army, died today when an Islamic State landmine hit his vehicle.

Known by his comrades as the "Lion of the Republican Guard" and "The Druze Beast", General Zahreddine defended the recently liberated city of Deir Ezzor for 4 years while it was under Islamic State siege, and he and his men have played a key role in the liberation of the city and surrounding province when reinforcements from the Syrian Army arrived earlier this year.

He also helped to organise and oversee humanitarian aid deliveries to civilians within the city once the siege was lifted.

He was widely considered one of Syria's best generals, and I think he will be greatly missed as this war draws to a close. Though his death will likely be a cause for celebration amongst terrorist forces as he had proven to be one of Syria's most stubborn defenders.

His body has been flown to Damascus where funeral arrangements will be made.

One can't help but reflect on the indignity of his death. A man who survived so much comes to such an end by driving over a landmine. That's just way things go sometimes I guess.

Article about the General's death

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A real field commander. Patton would be proud.

Like Patton too, killed at the end of WWII, in a car.

I know he died later, so what?

(How do they know it was an "ISIS" mine?)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

He was leading operations on Saqr Island which is under Islamic State occupation.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

He was leading operations on Saqr Island which is under Islamic State occupation.

mmm hmmm. How is that exploded ordnance traced back to them specifically? Beside which, considering his experience, protection cordon, the time he has spent in the mix, seems unlikely his convoy would diddy bop down a road that hasn't been cleared...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

considering his experience, protection cordon, the time he has spent in the mix, seems unlikely his convoy would diddy bop down a road that hasn't been cleared...

Its a war, you fly with the seat of your pants often, sometimes you are lucky sometimes not... This time he was not...

RA

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

mmm hmmm. How is that exploded ordnance traced back to them specifically? Beside which, considering his experience, protection cordon, the time he has spent in the mix, seems unlikely his convoy would diddy bop down a road that hasn't been cleared...

I don't know what to tell you. These things happen sometimes. Presumably you suspect foul play.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

considering his experience, protection cordon, the time he has spent in the mix, seems unlikely his convoy would diddy bop down a road that hasn't been cleared...

Its a war, you fly with the seat of your pants often, sometimes you are lucky sometimes not... This time he was not...RA

Lucks got nothing to do with clearing a road of IEDs. He's been doing that for years, now his convoy runs one over. Was his vehicle in the lead? How come others before his didn't set it off? They are trained to follow in each other tracks, especially the generals vehicle in a "convoy" over uncleared roads.

Sniffing...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

Its a war, you fly with the seat of your pants often, sometimes you are lucky sometimes not... This time he was not...RA

Lucks got nothing to do with clearing a road of IEDs. He's been doing that for years, now his convoy runs one over. Was his vehicle in the lead? How come others before his didn't set it off? They are trained to follow in each other tracks, especially the generals vehicle in a "convoy" over uncleared roads.

Sniffing...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I don't know what to tell you. These things happen sometimes. Presumably you suspect foul play.

The links I read are one, two paragraph, all say the same thing. I know when all the MSM heavies repeat the same scant story... and leave it hanging... what to smell...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

How long does it take to plant an IED?
How do you know it wasn't a command detonated rather than pressure or trip?
Was the IED an initiator to an ambush? Makes more sense if the Generals convoy was following a clearance team.
How do you know the TTP's for the Syrian Army if you don't mind my asking?

I've hit IED's on routes I've cleared 30 minutes prior.
Luck has a lot to do with both finding and surviving IED attacks.

Too many unanswered questions to simply assume things to "fill gaps".

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Successfully defended a city for 4 years, actually organized humanitarian aid to get it to civilians... the guy will definitely be missed in the post war era.

Its a shame they could have used him.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

How do you know it wasn't a command detonated rather than pressure or trip?

Because they all faithfully used the term "land mine". Those typically self actuate. Besides how they know which vehicle he was riding in in the convoy. Was he up top waving a flag? Maybe like patton he had five stars painted on his vehicle or wore a silver helmet to the front lines.They disguise where he is in the convoy to prevent attack.

In 'enemy territory', on uncleared roads, in the generals column..

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

You might be right. I missed the part where he was specifically targeted.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I know some Druze refugees and when discussing the war they spoke highly of this man, feeling that he represented them and Druze interests. They're going to be crushed.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

He didn't stay alive for years behind enemy lines, commanding a surrounded, undersupplied, under equipped, force without being skilled in front line combat. He ran supply lines, refugee rescue, and survived, thats why he's revered. Because he was a tactician, took precautions.

He was a thorn in the side of the last ISIS stronghold in Syria, holding out against all odds. Now, we all know ISIS is a foreign insurgency, backed by covert support from the West (NATO).

Another case similar to this was when Qaddafi broke cover and ran, was interdicted by F16s, in a convoy, on a road.

A "land mine" is too 'convenient'.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

You might be right. I missed the part where he was specifically targeted.

Land mines are random. Got lucky, huh?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
No, I guess the CIA waited four years and wasted countless ISIS (CIA) lives, just waiting for an opportunity to hit him with a CIA missile from a CIA F16.

Or something.

No wonder people hate that organization so much. It's a complete waste of money. They could have fired that same missile four years ago. Why wait?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a real soldier like him would rather die in combat so I guess it`s good that he died in combat now that isis is almost defeated.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Reminds me of the Iranian General who moved to my area after the Iran-Iraq War and was killed in a hold-up of his ice cream truck.

I can't make this stuff up.

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

He didn't stay alive for years behind enemy lines, commanding a surrounded, undersupplied, under equipped, force without being skilled in front line combat. He ran supply lines, refugee rescue, and survived, thats why he's revered. Because he was a tactician, took precautions.

He was a thorn in the side of the last ISIS stronghold in Syria, holding out against all odds. Now, we all know ISIS is a foreign insurgency, backed by covert support from the West (NATO).

Another case similar to this was when Qaddafi broke cover and ran, was interdicted by F16s, in a convoy, on a road.

A "land mine" is too 'convenient'.

I don't think he was assassinated by the coalition. US planes when Obama was President struck his men at Deir Ezzor when the city was under siege.

If they wanted him dead they could have done it at any point in the past 4 years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join