It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29 states have legal pot. Jeff Sessions wants to stamp it out, and he's closer than you think

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

You forgot to mention the private prison industry and the corporations who get rich off prison labor(legal slavery).

Here in Ca., thousands of prisoners are on the fire lines, for two dollars an hour. I've begun to rethink what they call the prison system in Nazi Germany, "work camps" or "Forced slave labor camps".

Besides that, as a for profit industry, the american prison system needs product to make money. Why do we more have (2 millions) of prisoners, more than all other countries, combined?

Most are in prison for menial crimes like marijuana possession, serving time for less weed than is now legal in many states.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Here in Michigan, it is still medical only. Though, the state is going to limit licensing for dispensaries. One that is in the county next to mine, apparently is going to be able to stay open and has acquired the state license.

What is interesting the owner says that there will now be an 18% tax applied. 12% goes to the state, 3% to the county, and the last 3% goes to Fed! I am just curious as how can the fed except 3% taxes if they are so against it?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The Federal Government has control over Interstate Trade and Federal Taxes
Go get informed.

I know what its become, difference between our arguments is you support the evil it has become. Federal tax was only to be collected during times of war and then only ten percent. Taxation was never supposed to be permanent nor progressive. Nor forcing Indentured servitude, making employers de fatco tax collectors for the gubment.

Inform yourself. The 'limited' federal gubment was never intended to interfere in states autonomy, period. Their only job is to provide for the common defense, coin money and pay for that with tariffs.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonInHtown
Fake news. Dope fiends only care if they can get high....a reply to: jrod

As do winos.

So what?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71

He has been paid off by private prisons lobbyists, especially Geo Group. Trump also gets bought off by them.

www.thenation.com...

nonprofitquarterly.org...

crooksandliars.com...

www.newsweek.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I don't know why states haven't gone "Sanctuary cities/states" for pot smokers.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

..and make it criminal again.

That is an incorrect statement because federally, it has always been illegal. The states are in a sense going against the federal laws. The state won't bust you, if its legal in that state but federal officers can come in and arrest you if they liked.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Thankfully the cats already out of the bag with this, and it can't be put back in. Over the last decade there has been a paradigm shift, and even among conservative voters I believe the support is still in the majority. Sessions is likely viewing this two ways (as has been mentioned previously): First is his financial gain from keeping it illegal - through private prisons, and second is his assumed political backing by keeping it illegal (something I believe he is misinformed of, since % of conservative voting population that no longer supports it is dwindling rapidly).

Righteous Hypocrites still believe its the right thing to do, but they are the minority and their days are numbered.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Actually he specifically said he was going after recreational marijuana at his “acceptance “ speech. Then was noncommittal about medical, or acted like he might leave medical alone..

Plus he has railed against pot for his ENTIRE career..

He is arguably the most anti pot elected republican..by his own statements..

So it is a very real threat...

About a billion times more realistic of a threat than “they are comming to get your guns” or “Shiria law is comming to America”....

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Prohibition maybe?!?!

Plus they have repeatedly doubled and tripled down on the penalties. So I don’t know how your so sure of that....

You gotta think. Possession of narcotics used to carry a year or 2 at most. Then when Nixon started the war on drugs. They multiplied all the penalties by 10. Because they couldn’t get people to inform on their suppliers...

Which is obviously cruel and unusual punishment..

First Everyone agrees that possession only deserves a year sentence, but they change that sentence to 10 years so they can get people to snitch...

How was that ever legal?!?!

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

What I find is interesting,all these posts of Sessions war on MJ,none of them have any fact,he said at the very begging that each state should handle it at a state level,it used to be on ATS that people were banned for hoaxes or false information,seems like it's now getting commonplace,I can make up quotes too,but thats called lying

What I find interesting, a poster can litter a reply with run-on sentences and the profligate use of commas and complain about no facts, when in FACT, they don’t even bother to read the sourced material that is full of facts. Do you even deny ignorance or just simply murder the English language. Whichever, it’s fairly impressive, errr, depressing. Just a heads up: a space is required after the use of a comma and those facts your boorishly complaining about are in the sourced material.

take your own advice...

there's plenty of sourced articles showing Session's stance on MJ and private prisons in this thread alone.

maybe you can deny your own ignorance by not waiting for someone else to spoon feed you information.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Not a huge fan of weed, but if Republicans want to take over government for the next 50 years, they should come up with a comprehensive plan to legalize marijuana at the federal level.

The war on drugs has been an abject failure. The only reason anyone even remotely supports it at this point is because of all the indirect beneficiaries of it being illegal. What are SWAT teams, lawyers, jails, judges, etc going to do if drugs aren't illegal anymore?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Doesn't this jerk have anything better to do?

Gotta love the Cult45 obedience.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Not to mention free or nearly free labor and the calculated destruction of minority families.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Do you even deny ignorance or just simply murder the English language. Whichever, it’s fairly impressive, errr, depressing. Just a heads up: a space is required after the use of a comma and those facts your boorishly complaining about are in the sourced material.

In your haste to be offensive about grammar and presentation you incorrectly used "your" (pronoun/poss adj) instead of "you're" (contraction of verb to be).

Dayum!

He also used a colon after "just a heads up". A semi-colon should have been used.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Cult45

You should trademark that.
That is one of the best I have seen.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Well, its little surprise that he would want a return to the dark old days.

Weed being legalised puts at risk most of his major donors. Big tobacco, the pharmaceutical industry and the private prison system, have all donated large sums to his various campaigns for office over the years.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's proof that Trump doesn't care about the people, freedom or self determination...if he did, he would drain the swamp of that snake Sessions, but in fact, he appointed Sessions....

If the democrats would run on "States right" the GOP would fold like a cheap suit.

But alas, it's not a democratic republic, it's a corporate Oligarchy. Sessions will do what big pharma and the booze lobbies tell him to do.

I find it astonishing that Trump supporters can't see thru his transparent, almost child like lies.

edit on 18-10-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Kali74

Cult45

You should trademark that.
That is one of the best I have seen.

I saw it in a comment somewhere a while back, it just came to mind. It's apt, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

First, most Republicans claim to be champion of state rights except when it comes to marijuana.

Thats not true. They also don't want states to have the right to label and distinguished GMO products from non GMO products , among many other things.

edit on 181031America/ChicagoWed, 18 Oct 2017 10:18:56 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join