It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite Dangerous: Having A Blast - Looking for Groups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
So on the advice of several members here, I took a look at the game Elite: Dangerous.

Liking what I was seeing and reading about the game, not to mention I played the original back in 1992....wow....35 years makes a BIG difference, hehehehe.....I got the game as a birthday present for myself and have been having a blast with it!

Being an ex Eve Online player (played Eve for about 6 or 7 years), I can't help but compare the two, pros and cons:

1) Elite you have to buy the game, but it's free to play either solo or online. Eve the game is free, but you have to pay a monthly fee to play.

2) Elite you can play either off line or online, seamless transfer, don't have to start over again, etc, etc. Eve has no off line play.

3) Eve Online has about 7,800 star systems.....Elite has around 400 BILLION systems. Only 0.004% of the galaxy has been explored by Elite players and it's estimated it will take 54,000 years real time to explore it all!

4) Exploring in Eve is very hard and dangerous since most of the "Null Sec" systems are owned by players, and unless you belong to their corps, you have to ninja it. Exploring in Elite is hard too, but only because the unknown is VAST. Players do not own space there (not technically).

5) Mining is easier in Eve that Elite. However: it can take very long real times to "train" up enough to mine properly in Eve, and it can get expensive. Most of the areas where you could "strike it rich" in Eve are controlled by other players.

6) No "training" in Elite: love this. If you can buy the ship, you can fly it and use all the equipment for it. That is one thing that drove me up the wall with Eve - the long training times, and the players controlling the price of the training books.

You get the idea, I could go on and on about the differences.

However, another point of my thread here is: I'm looking into possibly joining groups to play with. I'm not big on PVP, and only did PVE in Eve. Here in Elite, I avoid interdictions as best as I can.
I'm more into hauling / trading, mining (once I can get comfy in how mining is done in Elite), and of course Exploring (I outfitted a Diamondback Explore and went over 2200 ly out from the Bubble....I ended up getting credit for quite a few objects not reported yet, so my name is on some things now....another cool thing about Elite over Eve).

I'm pretty sure that there are more than likely all sorts of online groups with Elite (like Eve's Player Corps). I'm looking to join up with one, so if anyone knows of some good groups, please drop me a post here, or PM me.

I may not be online here very much however, so you can also contact me in game if you play too. I'm Andy Legate in game (yes, gasp, my name, just like my YouTube vids, heheheh).

Looking forward to hearing from people.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The EVE universe takes place on a single server..

Does those 400 BILLION systems take place on a single server like a mmo ?

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I've been looking into paying that (again) as well.

I bought it with all the bells and whistles for xbone, but I really had no idea what I was doing... Long story short, I ended up a hundred lightyears from start with no money, no fuel, and no idea what the hell was going on. I think I may start another game on it, maybe pay a little more attention to the story. And tutorials. And missions. And the fuel gauge.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This game seems pretty neat. No mans sky was kind of a let down. Maybe this is what it was supposed to be?
edit on 16-10-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Eriktheawful, great you finally discovered the greatest space game going. Elite Dangerous is great. I spent the first few hours just marveling at the graphics and all the other updated stuff. I played Elite on the C64. I think it was 1985 or so. Took me a couple of years to gain the coveted Elite (or was it dangerous?) status but I made it.

Now they come with this new version...400 billion stars? I think it is the game of a lifetime and I am thankful to be able to afford a copy. (Wait till Xmas, they always do a special offer for half the price!)

I need to play more (I always play in solo mode, seemed easier to begin with) but would be interested to see if other members wanted to form a wing. I need a ship upgrade and can't find a place to buy it. I have 7 million credits...

ETA Even in my Cobra Mk3, I let the interdictions just happen and then blast them slowly into the next dimension. A HOTAS helps a lot!
edit on 16/10/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Elite Dangerous is OK, I guess. I also played the original and loved that too. The thing is, it's great at first but there's not much to the game. It's a mile wide and an inch deep, it's all samey samey once you've had a few days on it. The sound design is fantastic though, especially when you're docking at a station or exiting through the blue barriers or space sounds reverberating through the hull but I got bored of it pretty quickly.

Star Citizen, when or.. if it ever comes out is the one for your space sim needs.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Hi erik, glad you're enjoying the game so much!

If you're on PC you may be interested in the Mobius group of players. Essentially its a private group where each member pledges never, EVER, to attack another human player unless in self defense. This way you get to meet and interact with other players but you can be almost certain someone is not going to gank you for 'a laugh.'

They have a FaceBook page here: www.facebook.com...

More info on the group and the option to apply for membership here: elitepve.com...

Fly safe, CMDR 07
edit on -06:0008America/Chicago20171149xRAmerica/Chicagob by PheonixReborn because: Typo

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Buy a docking computer, an Advanced Discovery Scanner and a fuel scoop.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

They do - well... there is one server for Open play (all human players are visible and can interact), one for Solo play (you are the only human player in the game) and several for Private Groups (multiple human players but only members of the group.)

Each of these servers all effectively happen in the same universe. What happens on one server shows on all servers. You can hop between servers as often as you like - very useful for things like Community Goal missions where you tend to get a lot of griefers hanging around one particular star system waiting to ambush unsuspecting players.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMadTitan

Try having a wander through the Pleiades Nebula. You'll find a lot has changed since the Thargoids have shown up recently.

top topics

join