It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey folks, I need an apple pie recipe with the crust recipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I got a hold of some Australian apples and they are so delicious, kind of like the American Jonathan apples, can you share your family recipe here with me and the rest of the members. I can't find Crisco lard here, will animal white lard be OK to use.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
lol... my family recipe comes out of a betty crocker cookbook.
which at the moment, I can't find...???
if you type apple pie recipes into the youtube search though, I am pretty sure you can find quite a few recipes.
and I'm not sure about the lard question... but this recipe here calls for butter??

allrecipes.com...

which, I am tempted to say I used, but maybe not, it's been awhile since I made any pies.

here's a recipe for a pie crust that uses shortening..

www.bettycrocker.com...

and the pie filling

www.bettycrocker.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
lol... my family recipe comes out of a betty crocker cookbook.
which at the moment, I can't find...???
if you type apple pie recipes into the youtube search though, I am pretty sure you can find quite a few recipes.
and I'm not sure about the lard question... but this recipe here calls for butter??

allrecipes.com...

which, I am tempted to say I used, but maybe not, it's been awhile since I made any pies.

here's a recipe for a pie crust that uses shortening..

www.bettycrocker.com...

and the pie filling

www.bettycrocker.com...

My childhood was filled with bettycrocker recipes from popcorn balls to chocolate chip cookies. Dang, I'll check bettycroker out, surprised I didn't think of it.
Over here they sell this white lard that looks like pig fat, says its good for cooking fried rice in and baking.

Thanks for your post.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Don't have a good one for the apples - though I plan to check the thread for one - but for crust, the one that comes on the Libby's Pumpkin can is really good, and pretty easy. Don't have a can handy, but found this online, and it looks like what I recall. Would assume the lard would work quite well.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Don't have a good one for the apples - though I plan to check the thread for one - but for crust, the one that comes on the Libby's Pumpkin can is really good, and pretty easy. Don't have a can handy, but found this online, and it looks like what I recall. Would assume the lard would work quite well.

Thank you. Good baking apples are very hard to find here in Japan, and I always thought Japan banned the import of apples, which I know they, but I guess now the import has been curtailed some.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   

you could google animal lard and see if it isused for pie crusts...it would give same texture to the crust as the crico...how does it taste??? crisco doesn't really have a taste

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Ya gotta go straight to The Man. Loved watching Alton Brown when he was doing Good Eats and I've tried several of his recipes, which have all turned out great.

altonbrown.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Ya gotta go straight to The Man. Loved watching Alton Brown when he was doing Good Eats and I've tried several of his recipes, which have all turned out great.

altonbrown.com...

Thanks, I'm going to check it out.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100

you could google animal lard and see if it isused for pie crusts...it would give same texture to the crust as the crico...how does it taste??? crisco doesn't really have a taste

My mother always used lard (from hogs) in her pie crust. I have always preferred that over vegetable shortenings such as crisco.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: research100

My mother always used lard (from hogs) in her pie crust. I have always preferred that over vegetable shortenings such as crisco.

Here in Japan I don't see Crisco for sell, we only have this white fat stuff in plastic for fried rice and baking so it should be ok. Real lard is the best in my opinion. Thanks for answering my thread.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

My grandmother always used lard in her pie crusts. She made the best pies!

Lard is what everyone used before there was Crisco. Lard is much healthier. And Crisco used
to be made with trans fat from soy. I don't know if it still is. I stopped using it 25 years ago when we found out hubby & oldest son had bad soy allergies!

I have used coconut oil too. It's solid below 76 degrees. The trick to making pie crust, is to keep everything well chilled. Even the bowl. If it starts to warm up, or the weather is very warm, chill it in the refrigerator for awhile before trying to roll it out.

Now I'm hungry for pie!!!

WOQ

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I think this is from America's test kitchens. I've made a lot of pies, and this is the best! Very flaky delicious pie crust, animal lard is fine and probably tastes a lot better than vegetable fat. Make sure to let the dough rest, It think this is really the key to success.

I've made a lot of pies, but this one is the best crust recipe!
2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour.
1 teaspoon table salt.
2 tablespoons sugar.
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices.
1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces.
1/4 cup cold vodka.
1/4 cup cold water.

Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.

Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

If you are able to get Honeycrisp apples, they are to die for in a pie. I know they are kinda expensive, but the crunch and sweet/sour mix is the exact perfect ratio for pie filling if you ask me. I think most apple pies are way too sweet and soggy. I lived in Europe most of my youth and I think their key to perfect desserts is knowing the right sugar ratio and always adding a little salt. I find American desserts use way way too much sugar, it just doesn't taste right.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Thank you. Good baking apples are very hard to find here in Japan, and I always thought Japan banned the import of apples, which I know they, but I guess now the import has been curtailed some.

Oh, interesting; I didn't know that! Protecting a local variety??

And, you are welcome for the crust! i thought it was pretty easy to make, though I often just buy frozen.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I made the apple pie.
OK, this is what I think...

-I put too much shortening in the mix
-Japanese sugar is not like American sugar, need to swipe some sugar from McDonald's and mix it in with Japanese sugar
-I used 3 apples, 4 would have been better
-Nutmeg needs to be increased
-The cinnamon I bought from Costco is OK, but I need to maybe double the amount
-I used unsalted baking margarine (thought it tasted OK)
-I didn't foil the edge of the pie, over baked the crust
-I baked it at 220c ( temperature needs to go to 210c I think) we have a "fast cooking" oven
-I over baked the apple pie

overall, thanks everyone here for your suggestions on your favorite recipe, the pie actually tasted pretty good

thanks, folks

new topics

top topics

join