It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious loss of water from Mississippi River at New Madrid fault area

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So I just came across this video in my youtube feed about the Mississippi River being historically low at and around the New Madrid fault area...I mean like impeding barge traffic and large sandbars showing up in some places.

Now back when the the last time that fault let loose there were reports that similar events occurred such as ground swell and the flow of the river changing direction in some places, which is consistent with ground swelling. Are we about to witness the next big New Madrid earthquake? I'm not sure, but in my opinion I think we just might!

edit on 13-10-2017 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Wow. That's disturbing.

Great find!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If anyone can get in touch with TA or puterman or any of our other seismo experts I'd really love to hear what their take is as well as maybe alert them to the situation so monitoring can be done...maybe even on a live stream if it isnt already.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

As KMOX reported Monday morning, the bi-state area is nearing drought conditions, and that means the Mississippi River is getting low during the barge industry’s most important time of the year.

As barges are loaded with the fall harvest, the US Army Corps of Engineers is working to maintain the required 9-foot-deep by 300-foot-wide channel they need to operate.

stlouis.cbslocal.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'm in Southern Wisconsin. There hasn't been any significant rainfall in the Midwest region since August, so now a good portion of this area is under drought conditions. All attention has been focused on the aftermath of Harvey, Irma & Maria, so the dry conditions are only recently being noticed by people outside the area. Normally, we do get some kind of precipitation after a hurricane maybe a week later, but this year we haven't received any kind of hurricane remnants.

There's always an chance that the New Madrid could be waking up, which I truly hope ins't the case. With the limestone composition in this part of the country, any activity along the faultline is going to be felt strongly miles away from the source.

edit on 10/13/2017 by Cheddarhead because: the boss left, so now I can finish my reply

edit on 10/13/2017 by Cheddarhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I live and boat on the Mississippi, I work for a boat dealership and get out pretty much every weekend and during week usually through november. Alton pool, right around St. Louis. River levels have been consistent with past years. Of course Im quite a bit further north.
www.riverbills.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

This year’s Great Central U.S. “ShakeOut” earthquake drill at exactly 10:19 a.m. on Oct. 19 will have the participation of nearly 470,000 people across Missouri, including many in the Columbia area.

Missourian.com - Millions to participate in ShakeOut earthquake drill.

Zoinks!

It is never a good sign when a drill is going to occur while something strange is going on. The drill becomes the real deal.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

However north of that area has had plenty of rain and as we all know water flows down stream...which would go right past that area.

Edit: well I guess poster from Wisconsin may contradict that statement...also didn't Harvey pass through that area...I know we got flash flooding here in TN.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: coop039

Anytime up river has decent levels and down river is very low it would concern me. If there is ground lift then it would explain why up river the water levels are normal and down stream they're abnormally low.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm at work right now and dont have a ton of time to look up data on ground heights, but I'd bet that GPS data would show if there is any ground swelling. If anyone would be so kind as to check into that I think we may be able to answer at least some of our questions here.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The Mississippi has low water seasons, it's been documented for quite a long time.

Journal Article
The Mississippi River as a Trade Route
Robert Marshall Brown
Bulletin of the American Geographical Society
Vol. 38, No. 6 (1906), pp. 349-354

Published in 1906.

Not to mention that earthquakes take place way below the depth of the water table.

The New Madrid Seismic Zone Tectonic History

This is nothing more than a misunderstanding of natural processes.

link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

This year’s Great Central U.S. “ShakeOut” earthquake drill at exactly 10:19 a.m. on Oct. 19 will have the participation of nearly 470,000 people across Missouri, including many in the Columbia area.

Zoinks!

It is never a good sign when a drill is going to occur while something strange is going on. The drill becomes the real deal.

I smell a false flag coming

link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Nothing particularly unusual going on.
water.weather.gov...

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: abago71

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Zoinks!

I smell a false flag coming

Just like every other year the drill has been run?

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

I drove from Chicago to Minneapolis 2 weeks ago. Lush and green all the way, with full crops on the farms.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Doesn't it seem as if water filling the fault areas beneath the earth would stabilize things?

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I am just curious as to the cause. If there is good evidence that this is normal low water season or due to drought I am fine accepting that. I would be very interested in an explanation of how the water is significantly lower down river where the water should flow from the higher water areas up river. If the levels are just as low up river then it would make sense, but it doesnt appear to be the case here.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Well fracking earthquakes are purported to be caused by fluids lubricating and allowing plates to move more so...but I am far from an expert in the area so hell if I know.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
As a resident of southern Illinois, I hear about the New Madrid fault "going off soon" on a fairly regular basis. In fact, I'd say the commercials, drills and doomsayers have talked about it so much that most of us have become apathetic in my opinion. That is what is likely to cause a lot of problems.

And living in an area that is almost completely undermined means it'd probably be a nightmare for this region. We do feel so many slight tremors that nobody really notices and just laughs them off. EX: "omg did you feel that tremor last night.... my dishes on the shelves rattled hahahahahaha"

I know I should probably make a SHTF kit but like others, I've just become numb to all the "warnings". However, if this thing does happen, I'll fight my way out of the rubble and post on here to let y'all know how monumentally screwed I am.

edit on 13-10-2017 by Eshel because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2017 by Eshel because: better word choice

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Water levels are not all that low, actually. Nothing terribly unusual. Certainly not "historically low."
The video is nothing but arm waving.

water.weather.gov...

edit on 10/13/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join