It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvey Weinstein Has Me Thinking

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I don't buy the whole "nobody said anything because he would ruin their career" angle. First of all, that's no excuse. If you knew about a murder, would it be ok to keep quiet about it because coming forward might cost you personally? Of course not. And some people will tell you sexual assault and rape is "worse than murder" (that's a whole other debate, I'm not saying agree or disagree).

But even if you believe this, yeah I could see some bottom-rung folks being afraid to come forward. But some of these big stars that knew about it, they were afraid of him? With millions of fans and big money of their own where they could afford lawyers if they were blackballed? In today's day and age where you can get your story out no matter who tries to silence you? I don't think so, sorry. For Christ's sake, Tarantino knew. He's huge. If Weinstein tried to blackball him he could say # you and start his own film company.

I really don't think the "I was scared to come forward" defense works for all of them. If he does get charged, some of these scum need to be charged as accomplices.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Wait back up here... YOU'RE FROM TEXAS?!

I agree fully, both in pointing out naivity not being the same as blame, and that prison should be for violence/threats. I think minor offenses like speeding and such should get community cleanup. Fines aren't even sensible! Rich people are uneffected and never learn, and poor people become MORE desperate to turn to crime if you fine them.

a reply to: face23785
That's not really comparable... Weinstein had a looot of power, its more like... you have a federal judge living next door abusing his wife. He's friends with every senator and you have some dumb strike on your record he can use to have your kids taken away from you and lose your job. It's going to happen if you say anything... do you still do it? Most people like to think they would but the risk isn't worth the reward in many cases.
Strength in numbers. If I had the whole neighbourhood on my side I would.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Wait back up here... YOU'RE FROM TEXAS?!

My views are not really that unusual for Texans. Its only the loudmouths who get press. The outrageous. The ones we wish would move to Oklahoma or something.

Most of us are pretty libertarian in our views. Except the patriotism, which bothers me. Im more loyal to Texas than the US, any day of the week.

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Just Cross your Legs Girls !

posted on Dec, 17 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The old wives wisdom of the abused becomes the abuser is sort of false in that almost ALL women have been abused repeatedly in one way or another throughout their lives but the vast majority of abusers are men.
Sexual abuse is about power and the belief the females in particular but also males exist to be used by the person in power.

It is not in the past, it is alive and active in schools, in public places, in the workplace, and in homes.

It is hard to explain to a 12 year old girl that just saying "NO" won't always work. It means the boys have at least been told how to behave but it doesn't mean boys will respect a no or the girl who says it.

Bullying and retaliation starts at a very young age and sometimes school or parents will just say "boys will be boys" and minimize or ignore bad behavior.

posted on Dec, 18 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: geezlouiseI agree with you but remember many men are also assaulted in similar circumstances.

Everyone should be able...park our cars safely.

posted on Dec, 27 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Harvey Weinstein has me heaving.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LeoLeoMidWest

Thank you for your reinforcements and yes, it's not just women who are the victims. Everybody can be a victim.

posted on Jan, 1 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

That was an interesting read... It made me understand the girl I once met and what happened to her a lot better. She was a looker too when she was younger...and blond. She unfortunately was not so smart as you and got herself into trouble daring those challenges with men. I do not say she did not shy away from creeps but her..let us say ..curiousity got her into experieces no woman wishes for herself. From what you are telling us and what I know of this girl I once met I came to understand that young (goodlooking) girls must watch out for predators more than I always expected. Maybe it is wise to teach our daughters early to watch out for dangerous situations.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hey!

Say...that sure was a purdy OP what you authored, it really was you know. I readed it twice, every word of it was perfect! and may I say - what a charming blouse you have on!

However, I disagree...maybe if you were to try a little, er...gentle persuasion I might be inclined to agree, a man can change you know what I'm saying?

Perhaps we can discuss this in more depth in a private message over a plate of fava beans and a glass of nice chianti...

...ffptflurrrpfffpffftht!

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I was just joking by the way, kinda obvious but just wanted to be clear on that.

Enjoyed the OP and you made some interesting points. I'm not good looking plus I'm a chap so it's something I've never really thought about.

Always thought of good looks as a blessing, not a curse - but I guess there are two sides to every coin so certainly food for thought.

I gave you a star and flag, so I did.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join