It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Porcupines like watermelon and pumpkin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I made a new buddy.
A porcupine.
The first time he stumbled upon me he kicked up the quills.
I just so happened to be eating a watermelon and chunked him a piece.
He gave it a sniff and then gobbled it down, saying "Yum, yum, yum."
Not kidding.
A few days later I made a pumpkin pie.
I was sitting outside, enjoying a slice.
Guess who shows up?
Not the most cuddly of critters, but I think I like him.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I made frinds with an old rat ones.. used lived under decking. Starting to pop out soon as i go for smoke. Then i go and get him some thing to eat.. then he gos.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

And chipmunks like ripe tomatoes. Especially during a drought!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   

They are adorable!
You're so lucky, don't have any where I am but they actually do have quite a personality.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Don't know how good pumpkin pie is for porcupines, but at the moment, I'd sure like to be in his place!

We have a hedgehog living in our courtyard, I think he has gone into hibernation in a corner, but we tried everything to get him to open up to us, but he was too scared. Maybe I should try watermelon... or pumpkin pie! I actually think they eat bugs and stuff though.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

The best advice I found online for hedgehogs is good quality cat food, the dry sort. Apparently they prefer chicken flavour. I had one regularly visit me and my cat after putting out a saucer at night for it. You could hear it crunching away. Then, if he came and the saucer wasn't waiting for him, he'd just walk inside straight to the cat bowl and help himself. Not good though, fleas, keep 'em outside.

edit on 12/10/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

edit on 12/10/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo2

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I made friends with a mouse at work. I would save pieces of my lunch and put it in front of the little hole he went in and out of. That was more than thirty five years ago. Wonder how the little fella is today...lol

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

Birds too. If you value your tomatoes put out a bird bath and keep it filled or you'll find holes pecked into them.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Porcupines looooove carrots, and Red Delicious is there favorite type of apple. In colder climates they will seek out sources of salt in late winter/spring due to deficiency in there winter diet.

Also, this book is fantastic...The North American Porcupine - Roze - Amazon Books

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
I made frinds with an old rat ones.. used lived under decking. Starting to pop out soon as i go for smoke. Then i go and get him some thing to eat.. then he gos.

Well there you have it. He didn't want food. He wanted a cigarette.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
Don't know how good pumpkin pie is for porcupines, but at the moment, I'd sure like to be in his place!

We have a hedgehog living in our courtyard, I think he has gone into hibernation in a corner, but we tried everything to get him to open up to us, but he was too scared. Maybe I should try watermelon... or pumpkin pie! I actually think they eat bugs and stuff though.

Get some cat/dog food for him/her and make a new friend , i used to have 3 at one time roaming about a large 2 acre garden i had years ago

posted on Jul, 27 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Here's the best traditional recipe for eatin porcupine, handed-down through generations :

Fill with water, to halfway, a friggin large pot.
Put-in all of your favorite soupy-type of veggies, fruits, spices, and herbs.
Insert dead-as-a-rock porcupicky.
Bring to a boil, then simmer covered on low, for 72 hours.

Throw it all out, and eat the pot.

LoL !!

Saw an indigenous cooking show the other day : Moose-meat and Marmalade, or something like that.
Anywho : they caught, expertly cooked, and served a porupickle for the show-ending meal.

LoL !! Everyone hated it !!
No matter how good the cook : it still tastes like crap !!

Yet : they are a protected species here, because, supposedly and apparently, they are considered a 'survival-food', because supposedly, they are one of the very few meats, that can supposedly be eaten raw.

Tried cooking one at my camp once : we chopped it in quarters, and cooked them over an open-fire, with four different spices or cooking-sauces.
We toasted with our wine before eating.
We all 3 bit-in together, with great anticipation, and all 3 spit it out onto our plates !

It was horrible !!

Edible : maybe...
Eatable : no frickin way !!

top topics

join