It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

109 Hippos Turn Up Dead in a Week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
109 Hippos Turn Up Dead in a Week

More than 100 hippos in Namibia, including some seen floating on their backs in shallow waterways this week, may have died from an anthrax outbreak that could now affect other species. Officials say 10 dead hippos were discovered in Bwabwata National Park in northeast Namibia last Sunday, followed by another 99 over the intervening days, per the Namibian. "Our veterinary services are currently working at the area to determine the cause of death … but the signs so far show that it could be anthrax,"

From what I understand and as it says in the article - anthrax - can hide in the soil for year. It just sounds so odd for hippos to get anthrax. And how did anthray get into the soil in the first place?

Sikopo says hippo carcasses are being burned "to prevent further spreading of the disease," if present, and to ensure no person "starts feeding on the meat." Officials warn crocodiles who've eaten some of the carcasses might already be affected, however. (Hippos are being killed for their teeth.)

Sounds like the world is just done fed up with the lot of us

Namibia: More than 100 hippos die in suspected anthrax outbreak

More than 100 hippos dead after suspected 'anthrax outbreak' in Namibia

Shocking images show dozens of the lifeless creatures, many flat on their back, at the Bwabwata National Park in the north-east of the country.

Namibia’s entire hippo population stood at around 1,300 before last weekend, so the outbreak is likely to have killed off 10 per cent the southern African nation's population.

“The other mortalities are dispersed over the river, and the crocodiles and vultures are feeding on them,” he told The Namibian newspaper.

He added that there had been 109 recorded hippo deaths, but he said outbreaks of the disease are common and the population “usually recovers”.

So sad.

edit on 0853Tuesday201713 by silo13 because: fix link

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

And how did anthray get into the soil in the first place?

That is where you find anthrax spores.
Scientific American

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Thank you butcherguy

Unearthing Anthrax's Dirty Secret: Its Mysterious Survival Skills May Rely on Help from Viruses--and Earthworms

Like other scientists studying anthrax, Schuch and Fischetti assumed that the bacteria's options were limited when it was not inside a host, often herbivores such as cattle or sheep.

Although anthracis cells flourish when they are infecting a mammal, they tend to otherwise starve and transform into dormant spores in the soil, where they await their next victim.

Typically, spores infect animal hides and human skin, causing infections that are rarely fatal. But inhaling or ingesting them can be deadly in up to 75 percent and 60 percent of cases, respectively.

The article goes on to blame - worms. Good read.

"People were looking for spores." Instead, Schuch says, "If you want to look for anthrax in endemic areas, you look for earthworms in that area." In addition, he says that scientists can turn to heat-free methods to find vegetative anthrax-causing bacteria growing free in the soil.

Dang, now we'll have to watch out for recieving envelops in important places filled with worms instead of a suspicious white power.

Ok, I know that sounds far fetched but really - does that mean we could harvest anthrax from worms to use as a WMD? For another thread huh.

Thanks again butcherguy.
edit on 2458Tuesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Thanks again butcherguy.

Any time!
Oh, and I think that....
Dead hippos are pretty grotesque looking.

Ok, I know that sounds far fetched but really - does that mean we could harvest anthrax from worms to use as a WMD?

I think they already are doing that. In the 1950's our military was sending scientists to scour Africa for vermin that were carrying disease.

edit on b000000312017-10-10T13:22:43-05:0001America/ChicagoTue, 10 Oct 2017 13:22:43 -0500100000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hippocide!

Geez.

What kind of nutbag would infect hippos with a wmd?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Hippocide!

Geez.

What kind of nutbag would infect hippos with a wmd?

Mother Nature, shes beautiful and terrifying.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Your article also says that Anthrax outbreaks are common and that the population "usually recovers."

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

And the hippos were boiled in their tanks.

A quote from Burroughs-

-Most of the trouble in this world has been caused by folks who can`t mind their own business, because they have no business of their own to mind, anymore than a smallpox virus has-

Rather fitting, is it not?

I suggest to check some more quotes from that book, it`s all connected.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Look closely at that photo. I think Rosie O'Donnell is out there?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Anthrax is resilient stuff that forms spores. The spores hang out in the soil. When conditions are dry and the powdery soil gets stirred up, animals who are grazing are susceptible to inhaling or ingesting the spores. It's pretty scary stuff because they can go from seemingly healthy to dead in no time.

Our veterinary content just had an article on it because you can find anthrax pretty much anywhere.
edit on 10-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Mass die off due to methane poisoning is my first thought, as this has been occurring elsewhere all over the world for years. There Is a relationship between the die offs, with the Ground opening/adjusting and releasing methane.

This is what killed the 185,000 Saiga antelope for example. We also had the toxic cloud appear from the sea off the UK coast not so long back, weeks. This was also a case of the ground adjusting on the sea bed and releasing larger methane pockets, from sunken lands that submerged in previous poleshifts.

As we are approaching the current poleshift I expect incidents like this to rocket, and what an example this is! Wow! Hippos even, really adds to the perspective. Nice post Op! Thanks!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: butcherguy

Thank you butcherguy

Unearthing Anthrax's Dirty Secret: Its Mysterious Survival Skills May Rely on Help from Viruses--and Earthworms

Like other scientists studying anthrax, Schuch and Fischetti assumed that the bacteria's options were limited when it was not inside a host, often herbivores such as cattle or sheep.

Although anthracis cells flourish when they are infecting a mammal, they tend to otherwise starve and transform into dormant spores in the soil, where they await their next victim.

Typically, spores infect animal hides and human skin, causing infections that are rarely fatal. But inhaling or ingesting them can be deadly in up to 75 percent and 60 percent of cases, respectively.

The article goes on to blame - worms. Good read.

"People were looking for spores." Instead, Schuch says, "If you want to look for anthrax in endemic areas, you look for earthworms in that area." In addition, he says that scientists can turn to heat-free methods to find vegetative anthrax-causing bacteria growing free in the soil.

Dang, now we'll have to watch out for recieving envelops in important places filled with worms instead of a suspicious white power.

Ok, I know that sounds far fetched but really - does that mean we could harvest anthrax from worms to use as a WMD? For another thread huh.

Thanks again butcherguy.

If anthrax is in earthworms, then it will be in rats, mice, birds and anything else that eats worms. Mosquitos, leeches would also be infected as well as birds. The one thing I remember about hippos is that they would perfect perches for waterfowl that ate the insects close to a lake, and these birds would sit on the hippos and even clean their teeth.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

There's something fishy going on with our natire and wildlife and I think its being deliberately killed off and I think by Aliens who are wanting to change our atmosphere so they are able to live here.

Just remembered about those early experiments on cows. Do you remember?
edit on CDTTue, 10 Oct 2017 17:41:40 -05000000003105x140x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

top topics

join