It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wisdom of "I don't know"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I have found myself saying "I don't know" a lot lately in my life. I think it takes some guts to say those words and upon contemplation I started to realize that it takes more wisdom to say "I don't know" than to take a position that locks one into one particular ideology.

I have a few things I use as guidelines for my life. Don't mess with other people or their property. Don't go out of your way to make someone's life more difficult. Don't lie or obfuscate the truth.

I don't always live up to my own standards, but all we can do is strive to be better people. It is better to have ideals than not have any goals for making yourself a better person.

Anyway, I don't know what is right for you, but as long as you don't mess with me or my family we are going to be cool.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Star and Flag on the principle expressed.

It is challenging.

The hardest part for me is determining what is and isn't my business. Not retaliating when someone's messing with me. Staying on my own side of the street - so to speak.

It takes daily practice.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Nobody likes a know-it-all. Know-it-alls are just irritating because their own insistence on knowing just indicates their own lack of confidence in their own knowledge. Saying you don't know means you are confident enough to know not-knowing something doesn't make you feel any less valuable as a person of knowledge.

edit on 9-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Most people have the opposite problem and are either incapable of just don't care about getting involved in anything outside of their own selfish self-centered Universe.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
Star and Flag on the principle expressed.

It is challenging.

The hardest part for me is determining what is and isn't my business. Not retaliating when someone's messing with me. Staying on my own side of the street - so to speak.

It takes daily practice.

We are all warriors fighting against our own nature.

I tend to be a harsh critic of myself.

One of the reasons I think freedom is so important is because we all need the freedom to make mistakes that help us grow. Some people (myself included) learn best from their screw ups.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Most people have the opposite problem and are either incapable of just don't care about getting involved in anything outside of their own selfish self-centered Universe.

I understand what you are saying, but I think of it more like the Prime Directive in Star Trek. The doctrine of non-interference in the development and affairs of others.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Fools and teenagers

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Political freedoms are overrated. It's economic freedom I'm more interested in. Without economic freedom political freedom means nothing.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I understand what you are saying, but I think of it more like the Prime Directive in Star Trek. The doctrine of non-interference in the development and affairs of others.

There are many different ways to be. Father, mother, teacher, professor, sensai all are interested in taking care of other people. You can't have a prime directive when it comes to taking an interest in your teenagers. They say they don't want to have anything to do with you but they sure do enjoy the attention!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Very Socratic of you.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Man..... I don't know why, but I can relate.

I first noticed my grandmother (who used to know everything) say ,"I dont know" a lot
Then I began to say it too. Maybe it's growing up and realizing you don't know.

It's very important to me for others to have freedom to make mistakes because that's how we learn. I can always give an opinion but at then end of the day, I don't know. I speculate.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Nice change from the far too many know-it-alls.
There are immensely more things that we don't know, than things we do know.
Sure it goes against the "deny ignorance" theme, but it feels more real.

new topics

top topics

join