It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dove: When "SJW" Goes Wrong

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn
I'll second that. That ad--and as I say this, keep in mind that I find 99% of the crap people cry about being "racist" any more ridiculous--was utterly, shockingly racist. Who the hell was dumb enough to imagine that ad was a good idea? *double facepalm*

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Redheads are people too you monster!

No they aren't. They steal the souls out of babies mouths while they sleep. Or is that cats?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Figured this would make it here eventually. However, all's not what it seems.

They left out mentioning Chick #3. She's the one that Girl #2 turns into after taking off HER shirt. They didn't bitch about Girl #3 because it ruins the "That's raaaaaciiiiiist!!" narrative.

Give me a minute to google it up & I'll edit in the link, it's plain as day Dove meant nothing offensive here, and people went full knee-jerk retard without watching the whole thing.

Edit: This particular article was what I read earlier thanks to people in comments sections posting it. You can see the whole Girl Trio in it. I guess washing up to eventually become a Hispanic girl is the new snowflake offense? Nah, really doesn't seem to be much more than a nod at equality. Except opportunists mauled it and omitted the final girl for their own narrative's benefit.

bougieblackgirl.com...

Thanks, to be fair I did look up a video, found nothing, thanks for your link. Convenient enough for the sources sharing it if the video isn't posted or pulled down.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Uh-huh, it was so "racist," that the black lady agreed to do the commercial...
edit on 9-10-2017 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Redheads are people too you monster!

No they aren't. They steal the souls out of babies mouths while they sleep. Or is that cats?

Tales of Lilith and Lamia, vampires, witches, had redheads burned at the stake.
edit on 9-10-2017 by dreamingawake because: t&c

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Can someone please explain to me, in plain language, why having a black woman turn into a white woman who then turns into an Asian woman is racist and offensive? Is it offensive to the Asian women? the white woman, the black woman or all three? If it's one of them, why is it only one of them and if it's all three then why all three?
edit on 9-10-2017 by Indrasweb because: For spelling

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb
Can someone please explain to me, in plain language, why having a black woman turn into a white woman who then turns into an Asian woman is racist and offensive? Is it offensive to the Asian women? the white woman, the black woman or all three? If it's one of them, why is it only one of them and if it's all three then why all three?

The OP source info(from Twitter?) only claimed the two women. Now the whole pictures shows, racist not so much. Bad advertising, sure, and apparently was easy to pick up for divisive usage. Pretty sure this will continue to make it's rounds partisan wise.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Who ever gave the ok for this ad should be demoted.

I have to question the mentality of some advertising executives who have given the green light on some recent ads. Sure it's the 21st century, but some ads are just plain distasteful, disgusting or the message and information they're trying to convey is lost. Really, talking about devil donuts, going #2, or leaving the seat up is rather disgusting when you're talking about promoting your product. There are even a few occasions where I have to look at my wife and ask her, "what was that ad all about?"

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   
But surely if there was a soap that turned Black people White it would be flying off the shelves into the homes of people of colour who want all that White privilege. Right?

edit on 9-10-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Ah, I wasn't aware it was a video--the OP didn't make that clear--and I certainly wasn't aware that there were more women than those pictured, since the OP didn't mention that either. If there are Asian or Hispanic women, another black woman, etc. then that puts another...er...complexion...on things. I take back my comment that it's racist.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

OMFG that had me howling

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

But surely if there was a soap that turned Black people White it would be flying off the shelves into the homes of people of colour who want all that White privilege. Right?

I was scratching my head thinking the same.....what ever happened to that white privilege we were cough cough blessed with......

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
You've endured slavery FFS! You endured another 100 of institutionalized racism. What can't you overcome? Believe in yourselves and rise above this poverty.

I don't think slavery strengthens you in that way. Seems more like it would produce a sort of resigned resilience, they would have punished anyone who got too ambitious. Being a master makes you a better master, being a slave makes you a better slave. If 'better' can be used there.

The choice to vote Democrat could simply be out of poverty. People with low income are likely to depend on medical programs, so it might be in their interest that those are continued. Just to name one example.

a reply to: Nyiah

That's interesting. I can't say I was bothered by the ad even without the Hispanic girl, but with all the three in row it's even less racist. Maybe the guys/gals who made it where racist, I don't know. And it's easy to see why it offends. Maybe it was on purpose, maybe not.

But feels like an unnecessary thing to get upset over when there's so much real # going on. I'm mostly annoyed by how everyone left out the ending of the ad.

a reply to: CulturalResilience

Absolutely it would, in Asia they bleach their skin to look whiter, and operate their eyes into a rounder shape. Well, not all of them of course.
edit on 9-10-2017 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I know I'd be pissed if I turned ginger, they don't have souls....
Everybody know dat...

They don't have souls of their own, but every freckle represents a soul that they stole.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: interupt42

The key problem is , it shows "a woman of colour" changing into a Caucasian lady as the shirt is removed . Stereotypical representations at that.
That is insulting to me and I fit none of the above...

perhaps you are color sensitive?

Or , perhaps I am not
Only my hairdresser knows for sure...
Now , away with your ignorant self and your assumptions.

if this upsets you in any way than you are clearly suffering from color sensitivity issues.

a racist person would see the transition going black to white as going from dirty lesser being to the better white being.

a color sensitive person much like the racist would also see the transition going black to white as going from dirty lesser being to the better white being.

both the racist and the color sensitive person associated the black person as the lesser dirty being.

the only difference between the two is the racist might get joy from it while the color sensitive person would suffer a case of butthurt.

a normal non racist person would have never associated negativety or uncleannes with being black. the normal person would have just seen a corporation trying to sell you a product regardless of your color.

were they stupid yes, they should have known better with the rampant outbreaks of color sensitivities nowadays.

edit on 141031America/ChicagoMon, 09 Oct 2017 08:14:55 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The ad goes on, the white woman changes into an asian woman.

Wonder why that part was left out? The message is, that there are different women, and all use Dove.

Why the heck would this be racist?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

The key problem is , it shows "a woman of colour" changing into a Caucasian lady as the shirt is removed . Stereotypical representations at that.
That is insulting to me and I fit none of the above...

perhaps you are color sensitive?

Or , perhaps I am not
Only my hairdresser knows for sure...
Now , away with your ignorant self and your assumptions.

if this upsets you in any way than you are clearly suffering from color sensitivity issues.

a racist person would see the transition going black to white as going from dirty lesser being to the better white being.

a color sensitive person much like the racist would also see the transition going black to white as going from dirty lesser being to the better white being.

both the racist and the color sensitive person associated the black person as the lesser dirty being.

the only difference between the two is the racist might get joy from it while the color sensitive person would suffer a case of butthurt.

a normal non racist person would have never associated negativety or uncleannes with being black. the normal person would have just seen a corporation trying to sell you a product regardless of your color.

were they stupid yes, they should have known better with the rampant outbreaks of color sensitivities nowadays.

Its not about cleanliness nor negativity ( if you are going to try and hold down a debate, learn to spell the words and their meaning first)
And nothing upsets me other than blatant bigoted ignorance.Dont try it , it doesnt help you at all
The commercial showed Dove soap turning a "woman of colour" white. Did you not read the article ? It was demeaning to black women. And I uphold that .
You dont ? and you imply I am racist ?
Were you the one I told begone with your ignorant self and your assuming way ?
Doesnt matter , you now rate that remark as well

edit on 10/9/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: svetlana84
The ad goes on, the white woman changes into an asian woman.

Wonder why that part was left out? The message is, that there are different women, and all use Dove.

Why the heck would this be racist?

LOL , Ahh so the real message is if you wash with dove you wont be as dumb as a white or black women.

I only wish they would have put a white middle aged guy in the end. The butthurt would have been epic.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

1st sign you lost an argument , bring out the grammar trolling and defensive attacks. Check Check.

The commercial showed Dove soap turning a "woman of colour" white. Did you not read the article ? It was demeaning to black women. And I uphold that .

Why do you feel that was demeaning to black women?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So wait, the black woman in the ad is a racist? Because obviously she knew what ad she was starring in and apparently had no problem with it.

Maybe she has better things to do than to pretend racism is everywhere when it's not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join