It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons to be learned from the NFL issue...so far.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: intrepid

LOL. That was the point I made in the OP. Everyone needs an 'out'. Me too.

AND my Niners might actually win this week.

Must be playing the Browns.

Bah, my Vikings have been screwing it up for over fifty years. Why change now??

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
We learned that a lot of special snowflakes got really outraged when NFL players protested and they didn't even bother to find out why these NFL players were protesting.

But I guess snowflakes gotta be snowflakes. Maybe they should go find a safeplace with all the liberal snowflakes.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

As the old saying goes... Don't start nothin, wont be nothin.

Football...

Watched by nearly oilfield worker out there.
Watched by nearly every southern boy out there.
Watched by nearly every hard labor worker out there.
Watched by many if not majority of military personnel out there.

The majority of the above are republicans, at least every single one I know.

You may say, birds of a feather and that may be true but it's also true that republicans, for the most part, stick together as well. Republicans are probably the most die hard people for God and Country that you can imagine.

These people didn't ask for politics to be thrown in their escape from the world around them. These people have football to take their minds away from work, society and hardships in general. When you throw politics in there it really pisses them off. When you throw the side of politics in there that goes against their beliefs, it's even worse.

When I first saw news of this stupidity taking place, I instantly knew that the NFL was going to hurt for it. ...and hurt they did.

I say rightfully so.

If I go to work tomorrow and start throwing my views and use my job to protest, start sending emails about my stance, you can bet your bottom that i'd be fired before 5 o'clock... Hell, even before noon coffee.

What these dumb***** did was just that. They used their job, their national spotlight to protest. It wasn't even so much the protest itself as how they did it. They protested something that stood for the origin, the birth of America, the home they live for and die for. So yes... It protests America as well as the Troops. It's a slap in the face. Had they done it another way that didn't include the national anthem, no one would have cared. The Anthem, the Flag and the Troops go hand in hand. You can't spit on one without spitting on the other. That is a fact!

These football players get paid millions of dollars, paid for by the very people that watch these games. These leagues get major tax breaks. They get stadiums built by the peoples taxes. It makes sense that when you piss of a people who pay for this sport one way or many, it is again, a slap in the face.

I for one would rather see the NFL crash and burn for this until they come out and make a public statement that they were wrong and they are sorry for what they did. After all, it's what people demand of every other entity that goes against their grain. It's what is demanded of politicians, so why not? Those players don't know what it's like to be the little guy. If they did, then that changed right out of highschool and they seemed to have forgotten. They live rich, parties, women, fast cars, the most expensive drinks and food... and they want to piss all over the very thing that gave them that!

I don't see those same players run out en mass, in the streets, in the violent cities and neighborhoods and rally against what's going on... They don't do squat! They have millions to back them. If they want to stop the crime against people, they should start by stopping black on black crimes. They should start by telling stupid people to stop bowing up to the police. Yeah we all have rights but there is a 'safe' way to go about it. Yeah I get that many cops are racist and instantly think guilty before innocent. For that, they should rally for the courts to stop such things. Instead.. they want to choose the Anthem to protest instead of getting off their lazy butts and doing it like everyone else... the streets.

They want to be so political? They should run for office and get things done. They have the millions. How about use their millions to make an actual change in the country instead of pissing all over it because their millions allow it. There are rules in the NFL against this very thing and they don't have to follow them. So yes.. they should be fired.

I do understand that there are footballers out there that do try to make a difference with their money. I'll even say that money is well earned because of the brain damage and broken bones they endure. But there aren't many at all. Only few can be named.

So... They want to get pushy about it... Then the NFL should be shut down because of the damage they allow to happen to those players. They're willingly and knowingly allowing damage, irreversible damage to happen to those players.

For another poster... Yes, we do care how vets are treated. We've been up in arms about it for many years now but no one cares to listen.... Except maybe republicans. Dems in office doesn't seem to give 2 $#!^s about them as they have well demonstrated in the past. They've cut funding, they haven't said a word of care how vets are treated. You know who did? Guess... People wont like it. It was in the news for the last 8 years and many more before that but no one said a thing. I'm seeing so many people in the VA running around like cockroaches to get things done, now that the light has been turned on. Once again... guess who we can thank for that?

The people's voice isn't heard until the PoTUS hears it and he stands up and pushes for what the people want. The people have spoken as anyone can see but the media, the dems and even some of the money grubbing idiot reps fight tooth and nail against it... but the people have spoken!

edit on 7-10-2017 by StallionDuck because: doh - spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Well, clearly those who seek to do down the NFL over this matter, simply do not love their chosen sport enough. Its anti-football to think ill of the players and teams, for any reason.

Sorry, I just thought I would respond to this as childishly as others have responded to the protests. The weak of mind have opinions, as do we all. I just do not much care what they happen to be.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Thank god we unloaded Bradford and his glass knees on you.

Love that city though. Really beautiful with great people. Don't ya know.
edit on 7-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

[...]
Now that politics has almost irrevocably entered Professional football, [...]

Politics entered football when the DoD began paying the NFL to put the players on the field for the national anthem.

We could go back to the days prior to that and while I’m sure a handful of the narrow-scope nationalists who insist on the anthem being a part of every waking moment of everyday life would be upset, I guarantee the majority of America wouldn’t care and you’d simultaneously solve the problem of everybody getting upset at the method of protest.

Many of us hold 'nation' and that ideal higher than politics.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

There is nothing wrong with peaceful protests. There is something wrong with affecting your employer's bottom line by conducting a peaceful protest on their time or rather on the time that they're paying you for.

Jaden

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Thank god we unloaded Bradford and his glass knees on you.

Love that city though. Really beautiful with great people. Don't ya know.

That's my Vikings.....

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
a reply to: kurthall

There is nothing wrong with peaceful protests. There is something wrong with affecting your employer's bottom line by conducting a peaceful protest on their time or rather on the time that they're paying you for.

Jaden

Unless of coarse the employer joins you..

Your statement doesn't apply here.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well, clearly those who seek to do down the NFL over this matter, simply do not love their chosen sport enough. Its anti-football to think ill of the players and teams, for any reason.

Sorry, I just thought I would respond to this as childishly as others have responded to the protests. The weak of mind have opinions, as do we all. I just do not much care what they happen to be.

Well done, sir. Well done!

link   

[...]

Politics entered football when the DoD began paying the NFL to put the players on the field for the national anthem.

We could go back to the days prior to that and while I’m sure a handful of the narrow-scope nationalists who insist on the anthem being a part of every waking moment of everyday life would be upset, I guarantee the majority of America wouldn’t care and you’d simultaneously solve the problem of everybody getting upset at the method of protest.

Speaking of that have you seen the new center movement also called no labels?

I think the public is beginning to say the same.

www.nolabels.org...

link   
After last Sunday night's tragedy in Las Vegas. There'd better not be any National Anthem protests against this great country tomorrow!

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Or what?

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
After last Sunday night's tragedy in Las Vegas. There'd better not be any National Anthem protests against this great country tomorrow!

I fail to see a correlation between the two.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

* takes a bow *

In all seriousness, its not actually that bad of a game, so I hope that teams, players and spectators, work out a way to square the right of players to perform effective protest against what they see as being wrong with the world, with the need of spectators to have an escape from reality, as if their computers, phones, tablets, movies, games, theatre productions, musicals and Lord alone know what else, were not enough.

I very much enjoyed the last Patriots game I saw (despite my friend, the fan in the room, punching everything from the air, to the wall, to me in celebration and dismay in equal measure).
Its a game worth something to people who love it, so it would be a shame to see it collapse because people love their escape, more than they love their country or the freedoms its constitution provides.
edit on 7-10-2017 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I think coming together in a forced way for thirty seconds is supposed to form unity?

People should be weary of idols when they start becoming more important than people.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

[...]

Speaking of that have you seen the new center movement also called no labels?

I think the public is beginning to say the same.

www.nolabels.org...

I'll keep an eye on them as see where it goes before I commit. (Been disappointed too many time before to dive in without testing the waters....

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

No I agree for sure. I just think it's a sign.

People like Kasich and such have had enough.
Rand Paul has been attacked for taking the time to read bills and try and pass a balanced budget.

Antifa, Nazis, peopLe are getting tired of the bs.

Liberals as well. Sam Harris a liberal philosopher thinks the left is past the point of no return.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

What I learned is how masterful Trump was in changing a protest about social injustice of police forces against black people to be a story about NFL players not standing during the national anthem. Most people in this country don't even know why the NFL players were kneeling in the first place.

The lesson learned here is it does matter what the story is because it's always about Trump.

edit on 7-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

He may have Wag the Dog on a loop on airforce 1.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join