It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Navy operator fired test torpedo towards nuclear sub dockyard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

One of the comments described this as being like something out of Yes Minister.

Minister: "Humprey"

Humprey "Yes, Minister?"

Minister: "I've been reading through this security review. It states that the American nuclear submarine dockyard has been attacked once in the past decade, but doesn't say who by. Do you know how it was by any chance? The Russians? Religious fanatics?"

Humprey: "Ah, yes, that's a very sensitive political matter. The MOD would rather not disclose this information until absolutely necessary."

Minister: "So you do know? It's very important for me to know, as I've been asked to recommend whether we need to spend more or security."

Humphrey: "In that case. I can tell you. It was the Royal Navy"

Minister: "The Royal Navy, attempting to blow up our allies?"

Humphrey: "Not intentionally. A weapons officer got rather enthusiastic about testing the systems and fired a test torpedo while in dock. Fortunately, the only damage was a shipping container."

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

That is funny!
Wonder what wasteland they sent that weapons officer to!

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

promoted to the captain of the ultra secret elite penguin squad 7

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Scarily enough, I have heard of worse (no, they didn't involve nuclear weapons).

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

"Hold my pint".

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I was working as a base security officer and we had a navy pilot drop a bomb on a top secret radar site that was well lighted and miles from his target.

Lucky it was a practice bomb with no explosives.

After that only a few people would work the site at night and only with three red flashing lights running to warn pilots off.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

June 29, 2008: Last April 9th, at Dugway Proving Ground in Utah, two soldiers were driving a rented SUV about five kilometers from the part of the range used for live firing. It was at night, and an F-16 that thought it was firing at something in the live fire area, lit up the SUV instead [PHOTO]. The two soldiers survived, as did the SUV (sort of, it was hit six times). But until recently, nothing was heard about the F-16 pilot and how he managed to screw up. His name has not been revealed, but some information has surfaced.

The pilot, and the aircraft, were from the 388th Fighter Wing, which is stationed at Hill Air Force Base in Utah. The 388th was one of the first units to receive the F-16, back in 1979, and currently has about 70 Hill AFB. The 388th helps run the Utah Test and Training Range, where the SUV incident took place.

The SUV was hit because the pilot, during a night training exercise, was momentarily distracted while closing in on a target about 2.5 kilometers from where the SUV was moving down a road. Only 70 20mm rounds were fired. Fortunately, the two people in the SUV were only injured (both from flying glass, the passenger got a dislocated shoulder as he rapidly exited the vehicle when it quickly turned off the road and stopped.)

www.strategypage.com...

A Norwegian fighter jet on a training exercise has mistakenly opened fire on a control tower with three officers inside, the military says.

Two F-16s were taking part in a mock attack on the uninhabited island of Tarva off Norway's west coast when one of them opened fire with its M61 Vulcan cannon, which is capable of firing up to 100 rounds a second.

A hail of shells hit the tower in the incident, which happened on the night of April 12, but the officers inside were not injured.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I recall a newspaper article from back in the 1960s where some place in Iowa a fighter pilot fired a salvo of bullets "by accident" the story said, for some unknown reason. No one was injured. I always figured that was one of those failed attempts to shoot a UFO down.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Looking at the pic of the SUV hit by the F16 .. seeing the hole in the drivers side rear passenger door how lucky was the driver! If that were me I would have had to change the underwear after. Another 6-8 inches to the left and the driver would of been toast. And the size of the holes that hose shells created ... daaaaamn!
edit on 7-10-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: Spelling correction .. fat fingers

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

That is funny!
Wonder what wasteland they sent that weapons officer to!

HE was promoted to eating th equeens "beef" i imagine.

new topics

top topics

join