It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk says Tesla can rebuild Puerto Rico's power grid, if given the chance

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: conscientiousobserver
a reply to: Ohanka

Musk has delivered on every single one of his ventures. He is truly one of the greatest visionaries you will ever have the honor to see develop before your eyes.

I wouldn't go that far but I will say he's a thinker and has the ability to take things to the next level. When it comes to technology, I know a lot of people who come up with some really bright ideas (myself included). But it's taking that idea and making a business out of it that's equally difficult. Some have that ability, some don't. Musk has it.

edit on 10-7-2017 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Puerto Rico has an opportunity to rise up out of this devastation and have real energy independence, and consequentially a more stable economy. I dearly hope Musk can get this done. A system can be built to be hurricane resistant - a decentralized island grid, buried cables, etc.
The Rocky Mountain Institute has been forging ahead with this vision for several years:
www.rmi.org...

It's about time new innovations were allowed to happen -- rather pathetic that we are shackled to fossil fuels. In fact, Puerto Rico could become a working model.

Let's dream and dream big. Geez, wouldn't it be great to give our kids something to get excited about, a better future to look forward to?

To borrow from the Bionic Man: "We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster." !!
edit on 7-10-2017 by SeaYote because: typo

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Yep. It always takes entrepreneurship to handle the worlds problems and it's the only way innovation happens.

there was a fierce competition a hundred or-so years ago ... and greed got AC electric into homes and the Innovator DC current by Tesla lost out to the big money tycoons

here's a chance to start again, with PR getting a network of neighborhood wide power grids that generate & store power in a decreased voltage network

all those multi millions of transformers (outrageously costly) blowing up all the time & knocking out 100s of homes for hours to days....that's gotta go in century 21

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: charlyv

There will definitively be a battle
Musk's Kauai model would seem to indicate another way (see earlier post). Of course, Kauai's model (a coop) was pretty weird to begin with, but it worked.

There are a lot of Co-ops in the northwest part of the US also. Oregon and Washington especially. Or where the city actually owns the utility.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I think you may have got a bit confused with that last take; AC was Telsa’s innovation and we’re still distributing power to this day using his model. Just wanted to clear that up.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Mr. Musk and some guy named Richard Branson are building a hotel in space. Having a closing facility in PR will assist Space-X in delivering the parts to build it with. a reply to: charlyv

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Curling1

He's no dum dum.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Musk is searching for federal dollars just like every other business who is on the government payroll. a reply to: charlyv

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
To eliminate the billionaires and the tax money use lets all from ATS put in a fund to buy 5 GE turbo prop engines, anchor them off the coast of PR and let them power the country.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Turboprops require fuel. High grade kerosene, as I recall.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Turboprops require fuel. High grade kerosene, as I recall.

Also you don't use turbo props For power generation you would use a GE LM6000 which is basically a CF6 which is basically a version of the turbine you would find on an Airbus A330, Air Force 1 etc. en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 10/7/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It would seem that Elon Musk will get that contract.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Why would he bother help if he has nothing to gain? It's not like you're buying a ticket over there to help clean up and rebuild, so why would you expect him to donate his technology and resources?

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I remember when Elon Musk first started taking about making the Tesla high performance version. At the time the Auto Industry claimed that using batteries for cars is impractical because they could not build a high performance version.

They were wrong and he proved that but to this day no one besides Tesla has built such a vehicle.

Elon Musk in every real sense made fools of them and his grid design also does the same thing.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Thank you I did mean turbo jet not turbo prop. they would be turned by the tide.a reply to: FredT

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Really?

You should tell all the real electric supercar makers how theirs don't count!

I'm sure they're going to disagree with you...

P.s. yeah I'm not listing examples, why? Because i think electric cars are beyond stupid and don't follow the technology but even with that, I STILL KNOW FOR A FACT OTHER ELECTRIC SUPERCARS EXIST!

P.S.2. If someone who hates electric cars knows that then what exactly is your excuse?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Why would you think that would do anything but destroy a feww hundred million dollars worth of high end gas turbines?

Notice right there in their name GAS TURBINES!

No, it doesn't mean gas as in unleaded from the pump... But it does 100% mean that putting seawater in them is a great way to destroy them and accomplish nothing else!

But, it's still a 120% better idea than letting Elon "felon in waiting" Musk anywhere near PR LOL!!!

i absolutely love all these people claiming musk is the next savior of everything as I'm reading stories from actual business sources about the hundreds of people quietly fired this month from his battery factory and the mass exodus under what can only be gag orders of upper executives...

So... It seems old felon in waiting was wanting good ole puerto rico to HELP HIM HELP HIMSELF .... Stay out of the poor house!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join