It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on healing cat bones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
One of our cats, 2 year old male, Mr. Benjamin Buttons aka Mr. Buttons came home limping the other day. I had hoped it would go away as he is an indoor outdoor cat, mostly outdoor.
It did not and looked swollen so I took him to the vet. X ray reveals possible bb gun shot to his right front leg with shattered bone just above the elbow joint.

So the vet says we can take him for surgery at Michigan State animal hospital for about 3 grand or she can just cut the leg off right at the shoulder.

My exact words were "oh hell no".... I can't afford 3 grand for surgery either so I had her splint and cast him up.

I have looked online and there are lots of info on vitamins and minerals to help fractures, So I am thinking to get him some sort of multi vitamin that has what they mention, vitamins A, D, K, B6 I think but not sure what could harm him. I go back to the vet Sat morning and will ask her but she seemed way to eager to chop his leg off.

So I just wanted to ask here. I know there are people with knowledge of so many things, members that have livestock that may have insight or somebody that knows amputation is best ( don't really want to hear that)

Does anybody have any knowledge of what I could use to help his poor bone heal?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Calcium won't hurt, if he can drink milk, though the bone might not set perfectly, and he could have a limp. That, you can manage, though you might consider keeping him inside, for his own safety. Three grand is a LOT for such a thing, but amputation seems extreme to me! A limb a bit off would seem better than no limb at all. Any possibility of checking with another vet? Now, that said, my brother had a cat, one of a litter from a calico belonging to a neighbor, that was born with one foot missing. She got along well without that, limped, but managed, and lived a very long life (over 18 years). So, they can manage, but being above the joint would mean more leg loss. If he can heal without having constant pain, he can do with a limp. It's the possible pain issue that might cause the vet to suggest amputation. I'd get a second opinion, in any case, and perhaps look into cheaper options for fixing the leg.

As for whoever shot the cat, GRRRR.......

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Thanks. yeah he can drink milk. I have thought about a second opinion. Yeah she wants to cut it off at the shoulder. I almost got sick when she said that. And yeah a limp will way better than a cat on 3 legs. He is restricted to the front porch for now, cat jail. no going outside

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

If the bones are shattered, depending on how bad that is, there is also the possibility of random fragments constantly working their way out too even after whatever healing takes place. The limb might also be structurally compromised to the point where it might be worse than just not having it.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Michigan State....... GRRRRRR! So ridiculous on their prices, for a training veterinary hospital!!!

Are you near Stanton? They have a Great animal hospital!

If not, cats are so crazy resilient. We had one shot through the leg with a .22. We kept him inside, and actually didn't do anything except not let him out, and it healed really well, just his paw being turned outward.

Have you looked up boneset? It is considered a weed here in MI.

I wish Mr. Buttons a speedy recovery and please keep us updated!

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
ghosts in the machine I guess?
edit on 5-10-2017 by chiefsmom because: Double post

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I don't know how else to put this, so I'll just be blunt. You need to listen to your vet, who is specially trained in the anatomy and physiology of your cat. Anyone who tells you herbal treatment and vitamins can substitute for a licensed vet when you're talking about a compound fracture...shattered, jagged bone fragments grinding against nerve and muscle tissue, like a broken dish inside a paper sack...is a complete moron.

Even a simple fracture won't heal properly unless it's set and immobilized. A compound fracture is shattered, so it can neither be set or immobilized. It needs reconstruction of the bone, nervous and connective tissue...or a clean, simple amputation.

She's eager to cut it off because with every passing day that it's going without treatment, the damaged tissue is dying and will very quickly begin to decompose, releasing bacteria that causes life threatening blood infections like gangrene. She wants to cut it off before that's no longer an option either.

Your cat is suffering. Believe it. Cats are stoic and hide their pain...they will actually purr to comfort themselves when they're in severe discomfort, and that often results in their humans not understanding just how bad they're hurting...or not realizing they're hurting at all. Compounds are excruciating. The slightest fine muscle movement can cause unbelievable levels of pain, because all that broken whatnot in there is grinding against raw nerves. Forced, prolonged compression of a fracture like that can also cause blood clots to form. All of these things are life threatening, and animals die from them every single day. People do too, actually, because they wait too long to get proper treatment.

Amputation is actually probably the best thing for your cat. The relief is immediate with far less pain intervention, the risk of sepsis is extremely low with the removal of the dying tissue, and recovery is much easier. Lots of cats and dogs out there do just fine without one leg...this is a very common type of injury. In short, your cat won't really care that he's missing a limb...they adapt very quickly.

Not sure what causes your aversion to him being a tripod, but if it'll solve the problem and put an end to his suffering, it would be in his very best interest for you to get over it. You can try to raise funds for the surgical procedure, but that might take time, which he's going to run out of pretty soon. Even if there were a homeopathic remedy to repair shattered bone and decomposing tissue, it would still take months to work at all, because that's how herbal medicine works...it's a process.

Your guy needs a quick resolution so he can feel better and go back to being a cat, and you need an option that is within your means to afford. I know you don't like it, but honestly right now it's probably the best choice for your cat. Look at some of the videos out there of dogs and cats with amputations...they're completely undaunted by the lack of the limb. They're just happy as hell to be running around again. Paws crossed for a quick and positive resolution for both of you.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

And yeah a limp will way better than a cat on 3 legs

for you.

listen to your vet.
cat and dogs dont have stigmas about being disabled, they just get on with it.
dont give your cat a miserable life just because you dont want a three legged cat.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Keeping the leg could be worse than losing it. No limb is better than a painful limb. I work at an animal hospital and i see 3 legged dogs and cats. They are happy. I can't see vitamins and minerals healing shattered bone or doing much of anything. I'd think there'd be alot of problems if you do nothing and try to let it heal by itself but idk. I really think you should listen to your vet and/or get a second opinion. They are doctors and know about the complexity of the cat body. They can anticipate problems we might not see because we don't have enough knowledge of it. I doubt the vet wants to amputate for the fun of it. If you don't get the surgery, amputation might actually be the next best thing. The way it would heal by itself might create more problems. Not saying it would for sure happen but no leg is better than a dead weight painful leg. It probably hurts really bad. Animals are stoic and hide pain better than us. Really listen to your vet for your cat's sake. It's frustrating when people think they know better than the doctor when they have far less knowledge and information of the subject.
edit on 5-10-2017 by bewolkt because: '

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

ACK! Forget that vet.

My cat sustained a horrible fracture above the back leg joint and his "femur" was touching the lower leg joint It was my daughter's cat, much loved, and he recommended thousands of dollars in multiple surgeries or amputation. My daughter called me at work in histeria.

I called a couple human physicians I knew personally and they said cats have an amazing ability for regrowth of tissue. He said get pain meds and leave the cat alone. It would always limp but that was a better, and cheaper alternative than putting the cat through painful surgeries with unknown outcomes.

By god, my friends were right. I ran to the vets. Told him what my friends said, and he looked sheepish and said that yeah, cats recover faster than other animals. I saw the x-ray and it was awful but at least femur was sitting on the lower leg bone, not sticking out. I was so mad. I got lots of pain meds and that big cat recovered fine; with a limp.

I don't use vets. I dont get rabies shots either; another cat died with a cancerous tumour from a rabies shot injection site and my cats live inside.

I know everyone thinks I am crazy but I've lived with vets charging outrageous prices and they don't always give out all options.

Best wishes.

edit on 5-10-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: tigertatzen

I don't use vets. I dont get rabies shots either; another cat died with a cancerous tumour from a rabies shot injection site and my cats live inside.

Honestly..reading that then you shouldnt have cats.
Are you also against chipping because your cat will never get out.
Lemme know how you treat Kahleesi, FIV, FIP ,UTI, Toxo , dental issues or anything else that can ruin your cats life next time they get it.

edit on 5-10-2017 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Injection site tumors are a thing. I can understand being wary of injections if you've lost a cat to one.

We're looking at having to face that issue when we get a new kitten because the breed in question is injection sensitive, so we'll have to discuss a schedule with the vet to try to avoid too many injections.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Can't help with suggestions for treatment but have anecdotal information to share.

My former neighbors were in the "trash" business, not the most careful folks in the world.
Dude dropped a roll-off on his brothers foot and severed the toes....but I digress.

One day the woman backed her little toyota completely over her cat's pelvis.
Took it to the vet, not a single broken bone. Bottom line, the cat walked a bit out of line ("wonky") but was fine for years.

I am sure Mr Bottoms will be fine once the break is stabilized.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Injection site tumors are a thing. I can understand being wary of injections if you've lost a cat to one.

We're looking at having to face that issue when we get a new kitten because the breed in question is injection sensitive, so we'll have to discuss a schedule with the vet to try to avoid too many injections.

Never said they were not but the feline illnesses I mentioned are more of a thing and I 100% guarantee you have caused more issues for cats that injection site tumors. WHile at least one of those illnesses is 100% fatal going to a vet gives your cat a chance if they get the others.

Anytime I hear someone say "I dont use a vet or I dont get rabies shots or I dont chip" I just shake my head at the naivety of statements like that.
edit on 5-10-2017 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

listen to the vet...but....if you give him something at least make sure it is something that will not harm him,,,stuff that is harmless to us can kill a dog or cat.......by the way dogs and cats are pretty durable and adaptable...I had a little dog that lost a leg in the front...she walked a little funny but boy could she run!!! there was a cat that bothered our cats...one day she takes after it across the yard and caught it by the tail just before it could run up the fence,,,she let it go and it never bothered our cats again

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
That sounds like a pretty big ripoff, I'll write more later but I would definitely shop around.

Do what the consensus of what 3 vets say.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
OK thanks everybody. He is going back to the vet Saturday. He is on prescribed pain meds and anti biotics, I just want to supplement bone growth.

The Veterinary hospital I took him too has been in business as long as I can remember, I usually take my animals to another, but they were fully booked.

Hopefully the vet will see some sort of progress, maybe reduced swelling, maybe another x-ray showing something positive, maybe it is too soon for another x-ray.

But thanks for all the advice, even the stuff I didnt want to hear

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

I take great care of all my rescue cats. I get alot of input from many experts including holistic doctors. They eat only fresh real food so that is probably why they don't get sick like other cats. They have alot of play areas and lots of love.

Your comments show true ignorance of the realities of truly caring for your pets yourself without relying on "veteranarians" and accepting their opinions as the final answer.

You might want to educate yourself about modern veterinarian medicine and its affects on legal policies and the reality of true pet care.

More people might rescue cats if they were given alternative info about cat care and their ability to provide a good home without a ton of expenses.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Mr. Buttons

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Pets have been on earth a long time,way before the invention of a vetanarian,doctors make mistakes in diagnosis,I rehabbed our cat they wanted to put to sleep,kind of like people who take cars to mechanics,then whine about price,easy way out,it's a pet it's taken care of,not living in the wild

top topics

<<   2 >>

join