It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jim Rising [MW2017]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Sight bled crimson tatters, as the night ran red. That was all that he could see, was red, red everywhere, and the grisly body superimposed upon his vision. The killer, a grimdark and visceral sight, stood and faced him, but was etched in darkness and Jim could not make out any of the details, yet somehow was aware that the killer was smiling wickedly beneath the dark cloak. This isnt happening, this cant be happening. the thoughts ran on repeat in Jims head, who was just minor accountant of some small firm, on his way home from a long night. He was nobody, he was FINE with being nobody. He had always hated those hero books, the idea of adventures and magic. No, thank you, just give him the bland, cookie cutter life, please. And he had gotten it. Never stood out, got a plain house, with a wife he loved simply, and who took care of their single child, a rather bland boy who liked to eat crayons. Jim was content and didn't want anything more, he knew exactly where everything was, and his place in all of it. The world was, thusly, a small place for him who had it all figured out. All of that shattered when the figure spoke, twin rivers of condescension and pity in a tone of aggression. " Jim Morris. Here your life is forever changed, blood has altered the tide of your life, this the blood that I have spilt. I have done this for you, as my lord has commanded me, though I know not why he would deign to make an offering to a pitiful one such as you." the being sniffed with disdain for this world called earth, prey wasn't even fun here and the energy he harvested was barely even worth it. Not like Magnus Prime, where the energy shot from a single murder gave a full charge.

The words marched against jim and shattered against his mind, fragmenting into tiny slivers that tore right through the cracks of his mind, releasing the torrent of energy that Jim had walled back behind a sheer façade of dullness. The words the monster spoke- for jim knew it was a monster now- had released a grand torrent. He was not Jim Morris, feeble accountant- he was apothis, destroyer of world, muncher of kitties, and where Jim had been apalled by the sacrifice, Apophis knew only pleasure. The underling gasped and bowed in obeisance. "My lord! I did not mean-" but with a passing thought, like one might show annoyance at a buzzing fly, he was gone. Apophis knelt at the body, and the blood gathered into a rising pool for this the lord of blood. he drank, and knew himself once more, felt his power rise into its rightful place. His body struggled, wanting to transform into the abomination that was he, but he restrained its growth, and eventually it subsided, after what looked like little shadowy spikes pushing out from all over his body. He rose, and would assume the place of Jim Morris once more- only now, Jim would rise to conquer the world. The underling, whose name was now forgotten to memory, had been utterly wrong. This world was not devoid. it was richer even than magnus prime. Only, this earth...it had strange rules, that even ultimate powers such as he had to abide by. That was, in truth, what drew such powerful beings of dark and light to earth- the fact that there was a game which they could not violate the rules suggested an even stronger force at work- and all, dark and light, hungered to taste it. And besides, the power struggle game was fun, until things came to a head and all was revealed.

The End- for the purposes of this contest, at least.
edit on 5-10-2017 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarriorThat was well done, I liked the "bigger picture"

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

That's certainly something I want to explore more in depth the in the context of the story, however I wanted to keep it concise and on the focus of the murder for the contest.

I still find it funny how, whether I'm trying to or not, those bigger picture type things pop into my writing one way or another

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

a rather bland boy who liked to eat crayons

I've know a few! LOL
Great story, the dark and light in a constant battle.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Lucid - that was COOL. Thanks man!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior

That's certainly something I want to explore more in depth the in the context of the story, however I wanted to keep it concise and on the focus of the murder for the contest.

I still find it funny how, whether I'm trying to or not, those bigger picture type things pop into my writing one way or another

Probably your subconscious railing against being boxed in

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Hey TNM, that's funny! Glad that you liked it

a reply to: PrairieShepherd

Welcome, Shep!

Probably, haha!

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Great imagery. I loved that first sentence - it grabbed me and pulled me in.

I can tell this is almost a "background sketch" for a much larger work, as you indicated.

Well done!

posted on Oct, 27 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Hahaha, Ill admit. I pulled that first line from a (yet another) story fragment I had written but never developed, simply because I like it so much., and because it fit the first image I received of this story, that of horror, intense and yet slightly detached.

As for the background stretch, lol... I often feel like im living to get to my own future. Things pass before me and through me whether I will them to or not(also part of why I love writing so much, and is as ive stated before, an intensely religious experience)... I seem to have no shortage of ideas... and yet a pitiful amount of follow through and dedication. So, im hoping that, by making constant effort(as much as I can manage, simply because that is what is hardest for me to attain), through time, ill eventually grow into my own shoes. And then, I will come back to each of my stories, for they are each dear to me. revise and edit as needed, then tell the story how it should be told, from experience.

top topics

join