It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes 20 week abortion ban.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Tha house has passed a bill that would ban abortion after 20 weeks, with exceptions in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the woman.

The House passed a bill Tuesday that would ban abortions after 20 weeks.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), would make it a crime to perform or attempt an abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy, with the possibility of a fine, up to five years in prison or both.

The measure passed heavily along party lines, 237-189.

thehill.com...

first, quite frankly, I think it's a crime to force women, and their doctors to sit around waiting for the complications that sometimes develop in patients to progress to the point where the mother's life needs to be saved!!!
second, there are many birth defects that aren't detectable till after that stage of fetal development, ya you can bring up down's syndrome as the grand example proclaiming just how happy those with the condition can be, but there are plenty of other conditions that are just about guaranteed to lead to a very short life filled with pain!!! and well, there are a few where if the fetus can feel pain in the womb at 20 weeks, they the fetus IS FEELING PAIN IN THE WOMB REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU DO!! it's more of a matter of do you want the fetus to be in pain another a few more months, till it's born and dies, or is it more humane to just put it out of it's misery then.
and, if you say that we should at least give the little tyke a chance, okay, then I have this gripe with you!! this is the house that is hell bent on removing the assurance that we can afford insurance, even if we have a pre existing condition. it's neglected to even address the fact that the child health program was up for renewal. it wants to strip medicaid from how many people??? heck, trump was even complaining about how badly the puerto rican disaster is messing up the budget!!!
ya the kids with downs syndrome can lead somewhat of a happy productive life, but that takes an investment, ya, we can bring every deformed child in the world, but once they are born, it's our responsibility to do all we can to either make them as comfortable as we possibly can the few days they are alive, do whatever surgeries, equipment, and treatments we need to to keep them alive and help them fit in and be functional, make an effort to get around any disabilities that will hinder their learning experience, so that they can live as independently as they possibly can!!!
how long will it take before yous are griping about those very same kids that you were fighting to be born saying that they are messing up your budget??

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Great, if it passes (which it won't) into law we'll have yet another judicial decision backing up Roe v. Wade.

Awesome!

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I don't see this getting through the Senate, I doubt any Democrats will be onboard with the proposed legislation.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I look for several states to thumb their nose at the enforcement of this if it becomes law.
Just like the majority of state do for medical and/or recreational cannabis treatment/use.
Welcome to the new America, folks...divided we stand, or take a knee or whatever, and go on social media to complain from the President on down to the horse stall cleaner.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I think it is a crime to qualify the value of life via 'birth defects'. This bill is a compromise. Neither side of the issue will be satisfied.

It is a compromise I can live with.

Good bill.

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Fetus @20 Weeks:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

This will die in the Senate.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
Tha house has passed a bill that would ban abortion after 20 weeks, with exceptions in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the woman.

The House passed a bill Tuesday that would ban abortions after 20 weeks.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), would make it a crime to perform or attempt an abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy, with the possibility of a fine, up to five years in prison or both.

The measure passed heavily along party lines, 237-189.

thehill.com...

first, quite frankly, I think it's a crime to force women, and their doctors to sit around waiting for the complications that sometimes develop in patients to progress to the point where the mother's life needs to be saved!!!
second, there are many birth defects that aren't detectable till after that stage of fetal development, ya you can bring up down's syndrome as the grand example proclaiming just how happy those with the condition can be, but there are plenty of other conditions that are just about guaranteed to lead to a very short life filled with pain!!! and well, there are a few where if the fetus can feel pain in the womb at 20 weeks, they the fetus IS FEELING PAIN IN THE WOMB REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU DO!! it's more of a matter of do you want the fetus to be in pain another a few more months, till it's born and dies, or is it more humane to just put it out of it's misery then.
and, if you say that we should at least give the little tyke a chance, okay, then I have this gripe with you!! this is the house that is hell bent on removing the assurance that we can afford insurance, even if we have a pre existing condition. it's neglected to even address the fact that the child health program was up for renewal. it wants to strip medicaid from how many people??? heck, trump was even complaining about how badly the puerto rican disaster is messing up the budget!!!
ya the kids with downs syndrome can lead somewhat of a happy productive life, but that takes an investment, ya, we can bring every deformed child in the world, but once they are born, it's our responsibility to do all we can to either make them as comfortable as we possibly can the few days they are alive, do whatever surgeries, equipment, and treatments we need to to keep them alive and help them fit in and be functional, make an effort to get around any disabilities that will hinder their learning experience, so that they can live as independently as they possibly can!!!
how long will it take before yous are griping about those very same kids that you were fighting to be born saying that they are messing up your budget??

I don't think abortions for convenience after 20 weeks should be legal. By convenience, I mean you just decided you didn't want the child out of convenience. I don't really have an issue with late term abortions when it involves rape, incest, or some other serious medical condition / genetic defect.

I recently had a daughter that was premature at 28 weeks. There were kids in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit as young as 24 weeks who survived and go on to live healthy lives.

Abortion should not be used as birth control. There is absolutely no excuse for the amount of abortions that take place other than people just being completely irresponsible sexually. It is practically impossible to get pregnant when using birth control.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

why is this an issue ?

seriously

if " you "have not realised " you " are preagnant after 5 months - then there are far more worrying issues than abortion

if people want to argue that 5months + abortion is ok - why not 6 , 7 or 8 ????

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: dawnstar

I don't think abortions for convenience after 20 weeks should be legal. By convenience, I mean you just decided you didn't want the child out of convenience. I don't really have an issue with late term abortions when it involves rape, incest, or some other serious medical condition / genetic defect.

I recently had a daughter that was premature at 28 weeks. There were kids in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit as young as 24 weeks who survived and go on to live healthy lives.

Abortion should not be used as birth control. There is absolutely no excuse for the amount of abortions that take place other than people just being completely irresponsible sexually. It is practically impossible to get pregnant when using birth control.

edit on -05:00am211031America/ChicagoWed, 04 Oct 2017 09:21:10 -0500276 by Painterz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Abortion isn't used as birth control though.

And late term abortions are traumatic for women, and only done as last resorts in desperate situations.

And it's very VERY easy to get pregnant even when correctly using birth control. Please educate yourself on all of the very many ways in which birth control can fail. It is not as you say 'practically impossible'.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

And? Besides a cheap appeal to emotion fallacy, what's your point?

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This will die in the Senate.

So will millions of babies.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Great, if it passes (which it won't) into law we'll have yet another judicial decision backing up Roe v. Wade.

Awesome!

There is no reference to 'the health of the mother' just the 'life of the mother' as being reasons that a doctor can perform a procedure after 20 weeks.
Seems to be a big change to me.
L ink to text of Bill
edit on b000000312017-10-04T09:29:54-05:0009America/ChicagoWed, 04 Oct 2017 09:29:54 -0500900000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

link   

Look, UNLESS there are circumstances that will kill the baby, the mother or both, 5 months is MORE than enough time for a woman to seek an abortion. I mean come on most women know they are pregnant within 2 months, 3 is pushing it. There is plenty of time to seek a doctor and if wanted abortion.

I invite you to look at photos of an aborted 5 month old BABY. I am not going to post, google it and take a good hard look. Then you tell me that 5 months is not long enough. Frankly its disgusting!!!

link   

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing an issue here. That's 5 months. Over half of the pregnancy. IDK why this doesn't satisfy both prolife and prochoice.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
a reply to: Edumakated

Abortion isn't used as birth control though.

And late term abortions are traumatic for women, and only done as last resorts in desperate situations.

And it's very VERY easy to get pregnant even when correctly using birth control. Please educate yourself on all of the very many ways in which birth control can fail. It is not as you say 'practically impossible'.

Abortion is used as birth control. All one has to do is look at the number of abortions performed to know that is the case.

It is not easy to get pregnant unless you simply aren't using birth control. ###SNIPPED###
edit on Wed Oct 4 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: T&C

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: IAMTAT

And? Besides a cheap appeal to emotion fallacy, what's your point?

That cartoon fetus could already be dying inside the cartoon mother that is carrying it to cartoon stillbirth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join